The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 1, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Wildalaska

Why Do you love Your Gun?

How often do we hear: " I just got my new [insert brand name here]. Gawd, golly jeepers, I just loooooooooooove this gun"

Or the way folks get upset if you critisize their gun.."You know, I think [brandX] is an inferior firearm..."

"O YEAH? YOU ARE A NINNYHAMMERGUNSNOB. US COOL FOLKS KNOW HOW COOL OUR GUNS ARE, WE EVEN HAVE A BOARD DISCUSSING THEM. GO AWAY, YOU ARE A JERK"

And so on.

Do I see people loving their lawn mower or hockey stick?

And it seems to be men who feel this way. Perhaps thats why we see love for Golf Cubs expressed so often

Freudian anyone?

Lets ditch the love (of which I am guilty too)

WildoramiovereactingduetodysentarythismorningAlaska TM
Old September 1, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2
dairycreek

There must not be much to do in Alaska!

GOOD SHOOTING
Old September 1, 2009, 11:26 AM   #3
J.Netto

Quote:
Lets ditch the love
How? Is there some sort of rehab for that?
Old September 1, 2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

The angst about a certain brand being superior or inferior is, I think, a bit Freudian.

If I make a decision (I buy brand X) and someone else says "Brand X bites wind!" then I may feel as though I have been attacked. My judgement and wisdom are being questioned.

The other person might as well say "If you bought brand X then you're an idiot, probably such an idiot that you can't tie your own shoes."

Some of us "get over it", or maybe never "got under it" in the first place. For instance, I couldn't care less whether anyone else thinks that I should have bought a Glock or if it should have been 357sig or even if I should carry a gun at all. I value the input of those with more knowledge and experience but once I make a choice it becomes MY choice, and I know why I chose it and no one else needs to like it for me to sleep at night.
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

I love my gun because it loves me. It told me so.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

Why do I love my gun?

Because it is mine, ALL MINE (except when the wife wants to shoot, then I have to share it).
Old September 1, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
CortJestir

I dunno, WA, I get where you're coming with the whole "gunwoobie" thing, but when I see folks professing their love for their gear, it's mostly when someone else is soliciting their opinions. In which case, I think it's fine to show your love. New posts announcing the arrival of a new gun are mostly going to be chock full of honeymoon talk.

It's just as fine, however, to show your hate. So what really gets my goat are the folks who get all upset when someone has an opinion that is not too positive about a gun someone else "swears by." That's the whole gunwoobie thing to me.

Anyway, glocks suck.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:53 AM   #8
matt_3479

I love my gun, because i put all that money out on it, so that it can do what i want. When i pull the trigger when looking through the scope at a bear, moose, caribou, whitetail, mule, elk, yote, and i see that animal go down. I know i spent my money well, it does what i want it too, when i need it too, without alot of pain. Borrow someone elses gun, you wont be use to it, sometimes it has more recoil. I own a 30-06 and a 7mm rem mag. WHen i shoot my fathers 270. win, it has more recoil then both my 30-06 and my 7mm rem mag.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:58 AM   #9
azredhawk44

Wild, I think you're trolling here.

You enjoy the gunwoobie thing. I think you sit in the back room of your shop, making Judge chokes and custom barreled NAA minis in your hello kitty spandex outfit, laughing at posts at TFL while you come up with unique snark to insert into your sigline so you don't repeat yourself ever.

Your snark is just too good for you not to secretly enjoy it.

AZRedhawkyoucan'tbullsnarkabullsnarker44
Old September 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #10
TRguy

Cause when I pull the trigger they go BANG! Reliably.

If they don't, isn't my gun much longer.
Old September 1, 2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Master Blaster

Dont know how many heavy metal fans there are here, But here is a Song by Marilyn Manson and your question reminded me of it...

The Bullet:
" Ive got a crush on a pretty pistol
Should I tell her that I feel this way?
Father told us to be faithful
Ive got a crush on a pretty pistol
Should I tell her that I feel this way
Ive got love songs in my head
That are killing us away

The father:
Do you love your
Guns? (yeah)
God?
(yeah)
Your government?
(**** yeah)
Do you love your
Guns?
(yeah)
God?
(yeah)
Your government?
(**** yeah)

The bullet:
She tells me Im a pretty bullet
Im gonna be a star someday
Mother says that we should look away
She tells me Im a pretty bullet
An imitation christ
Ive got love songs in my head
That are killing us away

The father:
Do you love your
Guns?
(yeah)
God?
(yeah)
Your government?

Watch the video on You Tube...
Old September 1, 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Maromero

Quote:
LMAO

Are you into petting your gun?
Old September 1, 2009, 12:11 PM   #13
MLeake

I love my family...

I love my lady...

I love my friends...

I love my dog...

I love my horses...

I'm fond of my guns, like I'm fond of my truck, but I don't love anything that can't love me back.

My favorite handguns, though, are as follow (no particular order):

1) S&W Model 18 .22LR - my first handgun, used to be my parents'. They gave it to me when I was 15. Only thing I've done to modify it is add a Tyler T-grip several years back; the basic K-Frame grips are much too small for my long fingers. As I don't carry this revolver, I still have my parents' basic old leather drop holster for it, just to encase it when I take it to the range in my range bag.

2) S&W Model 29-8 .44mag Mountain Gun - the only gun ever tailor made for me; my old one kinda blew up, due to a factory load going squib, and me failing to notice the squib and firing another round - good thing it was a .44special and not a magnum. The ammunition manufacturer paid S&W to stand up their old equipment line (the .44 MG is currently not in production) and build me a new one; they even upgraded the grips. On my hip right now, in a SimplyRugged pancake. I also bought a SimplyRugged Chesty Puller system for use when backpacking.

3) SIG P220 - my first customized gun. I've added night sights, Hogue woods, and a CCR ceramihide gloss black finish. It also has one of the nicest DA triggers ever (old W. German gun). Usually carried IWB in an Andrews Leather MacDaniel II.

4) CZ75 Omega - I see a lot of people talking trash about the Omega, but the SA on mine is awsome, and the grip and balance are among the best I've ever felt. It points naturally, and everybody who's shot mine has really liked it, in some cases shooting it better than they shoot their own guns. I've added some MMC night sights, and am about to add some Hakan Pek American Walnut smooth grips, shaped the same as the factory grips. Usually carried OWB in either an Andrews Leather Saddle or a SimplyRugged Cuda, although I'm expecting an Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder rig in the near future.

5) Ruger GP100 4" - customized by a friend in FL. Nothing too fancy, just Wolff springs and Trijicon night sights. OWB, SimplyRugged pancake.

6) Haven't received it yet, but have high hopes for my DW CBOB .45acp, due at my FFL later this week. Will see how this pans out; meanwhile, have purchased some very nice buckeye burl grips from TFL member Sarge43's business, thefinergrain.com. I'm expecting an Andrews Leather paddle holster, in crocodile leather (Sam occasionally gets some nice exotic leather; last time I was in his shop he had hippopotamus, ostrich, and rayskin on hand) to arrive with the Monarch mentioned above.

I like all my other guns, but am not as attached to any of them. However, they all feel right in my hand, and shoot well for me. I've rid myself of those handguns that required too much effort on my part. I prefer the ones that don't seem to require effort, because they point naturally and have nice triggers.

Cheers,

M
Old September 1, 2009, 12:28 PM   #14
Wildalaska

Quote:
Quote:
But here is a Song by Marilyn Manson .
In the same thread

Quote:
You enjoy the gunwoobie thing. I think you sit in the back room of your shop, making Judge chokes and custom barreled NAA minis in your hello kitty spandex outfit, laughing at posts at TFL while you come up with unique snark to insert into your sigline so you don't repeat yourself ever.
You give me too much credit. Im just a poor depraved cynic

Now if you want to see the crowd worked up, hit up a Larvatus thread He puts poor me to shame

WildandilookgreatinspandexAlaska ™
Old September 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #15
KLRANGL

I don't think the problem is over-loving your guns. Its the inability for most people to rationalize and express their decisions. I could say, Glocks suck because of X Y and Z. Someone might realize that X Y and Z are legitimate or illegitimate reasons, but lack the capacity to debate the subject without an "nu uh, your stupid." Its all communication skills...
Well that, and the amazing ability for myth to become fact very quickly. Glocks work flawlessly and never fail. Why? Because someone told me so... If people would be more receptive to other people points of view, and those other points of view were conveyed in a polite and informative manner, then there would be less problems...

And I don't mean to pick on Glocks. Sorry, just an easy example

Another point of view is the fact that the best guns are always subjective. Best at what? Ideally going bang every time you pull the trigger I suppose, but say you cant afford the $1000 gun that goes bang every single time. Then to you the best gun might be different... Im not a Glock fanboy in the least, and have never owned one, but I always tell people you cant go wrong with Glocks because you are getting a product with a known track record at an affordable price...
Old September 1, 2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Vanya
Staff

I think a little sentiment is OK.

Some guns are more lovable than others. I "really, really like" my CZ452... it's accurate, fun to shoot, I like the way it looks... and... it was my first. So if I just have to "pet" one, it'll probably be that. On the other hand, the Rem. 870 is, well, a tool. It works fine, but I'll never get all mushy about it.

So perhaps people can have a soft spot for their first, or for the one they inherited from Grandpa, or whatever, without its being a sign that they've succumbed to the dreaded gunwoobie...

I'd also allow an exemption for guns that are really, really pretty... (No -- NOT those pink AR's. That would be perversion. )
Old September 1, 2009, 01:52 PM   #17
BryanP

Remember folks, it's okay to love your guns, just don't .... love your guns.
Old September 1, 2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Buzzcook

No, no, we're just good friends.
Old September 1, 2009, 02:20 PM   #19
buzz_knox

Quote:
No, no, we're just good friends.
But, are you friends with benefits?
Old September 1, 2009, 02:35 PM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Lets ditch the love (of which I am guilty too)
This is coming from a gentleman who LOVES (yes, you know you do) 6.5X55 rifles, and particularly his favorite very long bullets for said rifles(Scenars?) I still remember the quote, serving as caption for the posted picture of his very long bullets. "Gimmee an inch of bullet, baby!"

Now that's true love.

Here are some other Wildalaska quotes, speaking of 6.5X55:

"Swedey likes it sloooooooooooow...."

"or want to get silly? 140 Lapua Naturalis (at about $1.25 a bullet) Lapua case, 46 VN 560, Fed 210, oal 3.00, 5 shots .877@100"

"I just love Blasers.....I shoot an LRS2, " (Its in 6.5X55)

"Insert drool here"

"WildoyeahgimmethosepencilbulletsAlaska ™"

"O my god...I have 3 pounds of RL22 left, that means I can only load 425 rounds of 6.5x55"

Sounds like a man in love, no?

Yeah, Ken, I think you're over-reacting due to dysentery. Eat some good yogurt, go shoot long bullets out of your 6.5 and you'll be in love all over again.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:03 PM   #21
Wildalaska

Dude I admitted my problem (even though its about bullets, not guns, and thus is far more socially acceptable)...

As the psychologists here will tell you, insight is important in determining psychological health. Thus, my recognition that I am crazy means I am not really crazy...viz:

Doc, Im telling you, I know its nuts but there is no question in my mind but that Queen Elizabeth is a vampire alien. Yes...I recognize that it is warped to beleive that, but nothing you say to me will change my mind. Its a wonderful day wot wot, off to work

WildinstantsanityAlaska ™
Old September 1, 2009, 03:16 PM   #22
Russ5924

I love my guns because they never talk back unless I pull the trigger. Wild Alaska I think it maybe time to spend sometime in the lower 48 away from guns if possible
Old September 1, 2009, 03:22 PM   #23
natjohnb

Anyone who *LOVES* an inanimate object, clearly has issues...

But I think that when most of us here say we "love" our new <insert model of choice here> we mean we appreciate it's design and workmanship, and can get emotionally attached to a favorite gun due to its accuracy, history, reliability etc. I mean thats half the fun of being a gun enthusiast.

If I am to shed my "love" of my guns, I might as well get rid of them all, buy a Glock and toss it in the sock drawer and buy a clanky Mossberg and throw it in the corner and call it good.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:33 PM   #24
.300 Weatherby Mag

I don't think I've used the word love when describing my golf clubs... Now hate and disgust, thats another story ...
Old September 1, 2009, 04:25 PM   #25
berettaprofessor

Love my guns? No. Enjoy my guns? Yes.

Quote:
But, are you friends with benefits?
LOL; absolutely. I keep them clean and well-lubricated and they reward me with a pop every time I tickle their trigger!

(Hope that's PC enough for this board..should be except for all the gunpowder-dirtied lead-poisoned readers here).