The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 21, 2009, 06:06 PM   #1
JeepinGA

.45 ACP carbine

I tried to search this one but... you might be surprised how many carbine posts there are. I have drink the kool aid and LOVE H&K and own several of their wonderful firearms but cannot stand the political correctness that limits the USC to 10 rd mags without conversion.

Please recommend .45 ACP carbine options that I may be able to research and decide what will best suit my want/need
Old August 21, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
brian45auto

i have drunk from the well of the thompson, and am a believer.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
azredhawk44

Not a lot of choices in .45.

The thompson is heavy, but a classy choice.

Marlin's Camp 45 uses 1911 mags and is popular for that reason. Needs an immediate upgrade of recoil spring to 21 pounds from Wolf. Marlin was dumb in the initial release with the weeny spring they put in there.

Hi-Point keeps threatening to put out a .45 carbine. They still haven't yet.

There's the HK. But you suck, and they hate you.

Ruger's PC carbine is only in 9 or 40.

Beretta's carbine is only in 9 or 40.

MechTech CCU's are available for existing 1911 or Glock frames to get to .45acp. $300 and it isn't a standalone firearm, though. Kinda annoying, IMO.

Or, you have AR uppers in .45acp. I believe you have to use a Cavalry Arms lower in order to have a wide enough mag well, but I could be wrong about that.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Crosshair

The Mech-Tech CCU are a very piratical and economical option.

If you can find a 45 ACP Enfield for sale, that is good too. I have one and they are a little fussy on the magazines used, but other than that they are a blast.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
COYOTE JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredhawk44
Not a lot of choices in .45.

The thompson is heavy, but a classy choice.

Beretta's carbine is only in 9 or 40.
I agree that a thompson is a very classy choice. When funds allow I would love to add one to my collection.

And Beretta's carbine does come in .45.

I wish Kel Tec would come out with a .45 carbine. I have the Sub2K in .40 S&W and I absolutely love that little gun to death. A lot of people get turned off by Kel Tec's plastic feel and think they aren't durable, but I got used to the feel in no time and I've never had a problem with my Sub2K or SU16C.

Are you absolutely set on a .45?
Old August 21, 2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Chipperman

The Koolaid is tasty

30 round grease gun mags= stupid grin
Old August 21, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
GONIF

WHAT PURPOSE does a.45 carbine serve ? up close a 12 gage is better,past 35 yards almost anything is better . :barf:.45 ACP is a great pistol round ,but makes litle sence in a Semi auto carbine .
Old August 21, 2009, 07:34 PM   #8
brian45auto

it's only heavy when you're not shooting it.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:42 PM   #9
brian45auto

Quote:
WHAT PURPOSE does a.45 carbine serve ?
fun.
throwing 45 cal slugs at steel 200 yards away is a good time.
as is cutting the center of a target out at 25 yards.
hitting pints of water at 50 yards is pretty fun too.

i guess it's just one of those questions, that if you have to ask it, you just don't understand it.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Crosshair

Quote:
WHAT PURPOSE does a.45 carbine serve ? up close a 12 gage is better,past 35 yards almost anything is better . .45 ACP is a great pistol round ,but makes litle sence in a Semi auto carbine .
I disagree. Pistol caliber carbines are very underrated. Besides, it all depends on what you are shooting.

PCCs have far lower backstop and maximum range issues. Meaning they can be used in areas where one would be wary about using a rifle.

45 ACP carbines are effective out to 100 yards at least, even farther if you know the drop. Personal anecdote, with my 45 ACP enfield, I'm effective on a chest sized target out to around 100 yards and a threat to a man sized target to 200 yards.

Pistol ammo is more available than rifle ammo. During the height of the recent shortage, pistol ammo was far more available than rifle ammo.

Ammo interchangeability. (See above.)

Large slow bullets don't damage as much meat on small game.

If you are a reloader and bullet caster, they are a dream. The brass lasts forever and you can use cheap wheel weight cast bullets. If you are loading for economy, the most expensive part of the round quickly becomes the primer. I can load 45 acp for less than $.10 per round. Shotgun slugs are expensive, heavy, and the recoil is punishing for many shooters.

Once fired 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 auto brass is dirt cheap and readily available. Giving a strong advantage to the 45 PCC vs the 44 Mag PCC if one reloads. If you don't cast yourself, cast or plated bullets are still much cheaper, and more available, than jacketed rifle bullets.

For those of us who can own suppressors, a round that is subsonic without requiring barrel porting or handloading is a definite plus.
Quote:
it's only heavy when you're not shooting it.
Agreed. That's the thought I have with my Semi-auto KP-31. Heavy bugger when you aren't shooting it. Just the right weight when you are.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:34 PM   #11
red caddy

My .45 carbine of choice is the mech-tec. short, light, simple, reliable, fast cycling, low recoil, fun to shoot, eats whatever loads I throw at it. 2.8 MOA, average, sometimes a little better with careful handloads and light bullets. (With 230 Gr. bullets, you shoot it more like a field artillery piece at anything over ~ 80 yards, LOL)

When I stuff my "racegun" receiver under it (slick trigger, fast lock time, custom grips, etc.) it's like gettin' another go at an old girlfriend...

My normal CC piece is .45 ACP, so a like chambered carbine makes sense to me. For social work, in an urban environment, there are worse choices.(I don't want to have to shoot the bustard 3 or 4 times with my 9MM Browning High power to get the desired effect) It'll never replace a .22 rimfire for survival work, (not much left to eat on a .45 cal "body shot" bunny) but it's dammed effective on long pig with an attitude, should the need arise. Paul

Last edited by red caddy; August 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old August 22, 2009, 04:13 AM   #12
Mr.RevolverGuy

The Beretta CX4 Storm is made in 9mm, 40S&W and 45 ACP. It is a fun little carbine but makes for one hell of a home front self defense weapon if you line in a suburban area.
Old August 22, 2009, 09:40 AM   #13
JeepinGA

I actually owned a Beretta CX4 in .40 and traded up at a local show for my zombie killer (Sig 556). I'll admit I was unaware that Beretta offered the Storm in .45 and from what I can tell they say it is a new arrival. Not to knock it but I was unimpressed with it... The construction reminded me too much of a Hi-Point and it was still limited on mag cap. *sigh* Guess I'm destine to all owners dilemma of wanting it all for free and easy

Thanks for the feedback
Old August 22, 2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Ozzieman

I own the Beretta Storm in 9mm and have been amazed at its accuracy and reliability, I picked the 9 for cost and the fact that I can get a little better bullet for use in a rifle.
I have hand loaded some 147 GR lead bullets that held (I kid you not) 3 inch groups at 100 yards across sand bags.

To those that agree with the following
WHAT PURPOSE does a.45 carbine serve? up close a 12 gage is better,past 35 yards almost anything is better . .45 ACP is a great pistol round ,but makes litle sence in a Semi auto carbine .
My only comment to that statement is that for many of us guns are a hobby that we get a great deal of enjoyment from,,, not just carrying or for self defense, but a great deal of fun from the hobby of shooting and collecting.
I have owned so many useless guns in my life (I own 12 cap and ball revolvers now), guns that makes little sense in owning. And I will continue to own guns that make no sense because I LIKE owning them.
To me, this kind of answer to an intelligent thread question is :barf:
I have owned an AR in 9mm, M10-45, and an Uzzi-9mm and shot the HK and for me the Beretta is the best of the bunch, they are all a lot of fun and well worth the money.

P.S. JeepinGA "and it was still limited on mag cap. *sigh*" you can now get 20 round mags for the Storm, and I disagree about comparing the quality of the Storm to a Hipoint. Dissemble both and then say that same statement, one is a very fine crafted firearm the other is a thrown together toy and the Hi-point is the LOW point of all firearms.

Last edited by Ozzieman; August 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old August 22, 2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Skans

Check out the Kriss:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=137841938

(not mine, but I wouldn't mind having one)
Old August 22, 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
kiwi56

Hangun caliber carbines

I have a suppressed Marlin Camp Carbine in 45ACP and two rossi carbines in .357 and also 44 Magnum. If these cartridges are so useless in a carbine you should try telling that to all the feral pigs and goats I have taken with them.
The Marlin has proven to give good accuracy with my reloads (typically 1.5MOA out to 100meters) and with that and the Rossi carbines can shoot without having to worry about ear protection, recoil is next to nothing and carbines are light to carry and quick to point. With the .357 and .44 special carbines you can always load 38 specials and 44 specials to ensure over penetration doesn't happen. Sure you cant make 300 meter shots with them but they were never designed to do that anyway.
I have shot my carbines in areas where you wouldn't be able to shoot with a more high powered rifle.
You cant compare the perfomance to a handgun because even in the Marlin the bullets are travelling about 200 ft per second faster than a handgun and with the magnums the increase is around 350 ft per second. I have a lot more high powered rifles in my arsenal but I get just as much fun out of shooting the carbines.
As a home defence gun in a suburban enviroment they make perfect sense being so quick to point and shoot, the last thing you would want to do is let loose with a 270 Winchester in a home defense situation. Saying the guns are useless in my opinion is just a plain stupid statement, hell if you don't want one don't buy it simple as that. Sure they can't compete with a 270 or a 30 caliber magnum for long range shots but they were never designed for that type of shooting, everyone knows that but they do make an excellent companion to have in the gun rack along side those rifles.
Old August 22, 2009, 06:39 PM   #17
GONIF

you could take pigs and the like with a $100.00 SKS ,at longer range too if you liked.
Old August 22, 2009, 07:37 PM   #18
globalsmack

Vector Arms KRISS is your closest bet to the UMP without making an UMP. They have them at a local store in my area. Pretty cool.
Old August 22, 2009, 08:40 PM   #19
Inspector3711

Quote:
you could take pigs and the like with a $100.00 SKS ,at longer range too if you liked
Show me a $100 SKS and I'll show you a rusting lost cause. Shootable SKS's start at $250 in rough shape. Decent ones can run $600.
Old August 22, 2009, 08:47 PM   #20
freonr22

.45's are just an awesome, flesh shredding bullet
Old August 22, 2009, 11:24 PM   #21
kiwi56

45 acp

I already do have an SKS D and are yet to see a $100 one that could match the accuracy of my own one or any of my Carbines. I also have a 30-06 plus a number of varmint rifles but none of these are as quiet as the carbines. I have found the 357 AND 44Mag easily able to duplicate the accuracy of my SKS and being a lot cheaper to shoot when comparing reloads.
With the 357 and 44 mag carbine I have taken animals at 170 yards and they have been clean kills the 45 has a reduced range but is still easily enough energy to kill a pig at 100 meters. As I said before the Marlin is suppressed with a full length suppressor and the loudest noise you hear is the action cycling, show me an SKS that can do that. I have easily been able to shoot close to suburban areas without a problem but if I had used my SKS or varmint rifles the police would have visited.

Last edited by kiwi56; August 23, 2009 at 05:15 AM.