The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Bigfatts

How about a Cape gun?

I've been thinking of having a cape gun built. All the older ones I'm looking at are in wierd Euro calibers. Not that there's anything wrong with them but components and dies are hard to find. So I'm thinking of having one made. I'd work off of either a 20 or 12ga gun, right now I'm looking at the CZ/Huglu guns. I would probably shorten the bbls down to 22-24". Have one sleeved to whatever caliber I decide on and add rifle sights. Am I missing anything major? I know the extractor/ejector would have to be adapted to whatever round I use. My next question is: I'm looking at 6.5x55 or 9.3x62, would a shotgun frame handle these ok? I have seen 45-70s and 300 H&Hs made on 20ga frames, so I would assume these would work ok.

If this turns out to be a no go I'm looking at a double slug gun, but I'm not sure how you would regulate it... So, any thoughts? Anybody done anything like this before?
Old August 19, 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am by far the least educated in double guns. But I think regulating an O/U is far easier than a SXS...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=197214
This thread is sorta what you are doing? Hubel may be worth contacting.
Brent
Old August 20, 2009, 03:38 PM   #3
SeekHer

I don't understand your statement of weird Euro calibres and you turn around and want it in 9.3 and 6.5 which are great cartridges by the way but it makes more sense to get the R version of them as it's easier for the extractors to grab a rim...9.3x72R and 6.5x57R...

There is no scarcity or difference in reloading equipment, dies, reamers, etc. between Euro and American cartridges excluding some scarcity of, which relates to more expensive, brass...but you're not looking at shooting thousands of rounds through it so what if the brass is 50ยข more per unit...

Have you given then any thought to getting a drilling instead of a Cape...two shotgun or rifle over a rifle or shotgun...I have a 9.3 and 7.5 over 16 bore sitting next to the desk right now, even has claw mounts for a scope, that I just brought back in from checking zero and needs to be cleaned...I ask as there are thousands of three barrel jobs out there for every Cape gun and new ones are being made by the likes of Merkel, Sauer, Blaser, Krieghoff now...

The cheapest method I've encountered to make a Cape is just get a barrel insert from Briley or one of the Euro makers and just slip it into your SxS or O/U...get two and you've got a cheap double but be assured the won't be regulated to point of aim...

I collect Euro double guns as well as drillings and vierlings...I like Capes but love drillings, I care for doubles but am truly enamoured with vierlings BUT I am completely ga-ga over any continent's single shot rifles!

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old August 20, 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Bigfatts

Quote:
I don't understand your statement of weird Euro calibres and you turn around and want it in 9.3 and 6.5 which are great cartridges by the way but it makes more sense to get the R version of them as it's easier for the extractors to grab a rim...9.3x72R and 6.5x57R...
I don't consider the 9.3s or the 6.5 wierd calibers. They are readily available in factory ammo and all their components and dies can be had on the cheap. What I was referring to was the likes of the 8x58r Sauer, the 8.15x46r. etc. I will look into the 6.5x57r though.

Quote:
Have you given then any thought to getting a drilling instead of a Cape...I ask as there are thousands of three barrel jobs out there for every Cape gun and new ones are being made by the likes of Merkel, Sauer, Blaser, Krieghoff now...
Yes, I am looking at drillings as well. I have been trying to work a trade for the Stalking rifle I have for sale on here but so far no luck. I'm afraid I don't have the funds for a Merkel, Krieghoff, etc (although they taunt me in my dreams). My project/new gun will be funded by the sale or trade of my stalking rifle.
Old August 20, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Not to bend your dream but I agree with SeekHer that a rimmed cartridge would save a lot of complexity and cost versus adding a rimless extractor to an existing action. Lots of Cape Guns were in common calibres like .303 British and 8x57R. I would tend to an American cartridge like .30-40 Krag in the same ballistic category. If I wanted to feel upper crust, I would call it a .30 Purdey.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:39 PM   #6
bswiv

I'm not a smith so forgive me if this sounds silly.........

But would it not be fairly easy to rechamber a older one to a more easily available round?

Seems so long as the bore is right and the head, some of which must closely match modern rounds, are similar and so long as the chamber is actually being opened up, it should work...........

But then as I was writing that I realized how HARD it might be to find a match....

Still worth a thought.......
Old August 20, 2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Bigfatts

Quote:
I agree with SeekHer that a rimmed cartridge would save a lot of complexity and cost versus adding a rimless extractor to an existing action.
Yeah, I've been looking more at the rimmed cartridges. I like the idea of the 6.5x57 Seekher suggested. I hadn't considered the .30-40 Krag though...