The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 19, 2009, 10:55 AM   #26
GeauxTide

I leave 'em on the ground or place them in selected locations. Other crows stay away for several days, leaving my crops alone.
Old August 19, 2009, 11:30 AM   #27
4406v

I am also in western Pa. if you'd like p.m. me I'd really like to get in on some "new" crow areas.I have the electronic caller,tapes etc.

We bag and use the dead crows as decoys till we're done hunting.I haven't tried eating them but would have no problem if you know a good recipe.

I can tell you it is a blast (literally) you won't beleive how much fun it is.You'll be hooked for life.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:09 PM   #28
Dingoboyx

Pahoo

You made me spill my coffee... Ya funny bugga
Old August 19, 2009, 04:12 PM   #29
watchale

yeah pahoo

That was hilarious !
Old August 19, 2009, 05:02 PM   #30
Vanya
Staff

There's a famous recipe for crow stew that goes something like this:
Cut up a rabbit and put it in a pot with potatoes, onions, herbs, and water to cover.

Cover the pot and set it over a low fire.

Place the crow on top of the lid.

Simmer until the rabbit is tender, throw away the crow, and serve.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:20 AM   #31
Dingoboyx

^ You're just as bad Vanya ^

ROTFL
Old August 20, 2009, 05:32 AM   #32
eclipsetactical

Now I live in the Country but.....

I am not eating no damn crow unless it comes down to it and I have to. Shoot the damn thing watching it turn into a feather shower and keep walking and shoot some more. I get tired of hearing those things wake me up in the morning neways.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:39 AM   #33
4406v

O.K. here's a few hunting tips.Wear complete camoflauge including the face,try not to let any crows see you setting up.Kill the first crow in (the scout) and it will make getting the rest to come in easier.We scout ahead of time and find areas crows are already using and set up there.Once the shooting starts it will be fast paced and really exciting.Once the action dies down move at least a mile away and start over.
I have some old Pennsylvania Game News magazines from the 50's and early 60's.In almost every issue there are pictures and articles showing truckloads of dead crows and even hawk and owls were legal then.I never realized how much fun crow hunting was and knowone I knew had ever tried it.I went the first time and was immediately hooked!!! I bought a Johnny Stewart electronic caller and alot of tapes so the next time I need alot of wingshooting practice all I need is a couple boxes of shells.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:35 AM   #34
BLS700

yeah crows are in season here. Friday, Saturday, Sunday from July to April. And is it just me or have they gotten alot bigger in the last ten years? I'm not that old but I swear crows were not always that size.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:09 AM   #35
hornady

You guys ruined my idea. I guess they are eatable. I was going to feed them to the Mother-in law.
Old August 20, 2009, 05:38 PM   #36
PT111

Quote:
Y'all are squeamish at the thought of eating crow.
Have you ever eaten catfish? Have you ever eaten shrimp?
Bottom feeders. Have you ever thought of the kind of crap that these animals eat?
Everybody likes wild hog, have you thought of the kind of crap a hog will eat?
Hogs will eat an entire crow, beak, feathers, and claws.

Sure a crow will eat some carrion, but they prefer good food such as pecans, corn, etc.
I grew up on a farm with all kinds of animals. One of the nastiest animals on the face of the earth in this regard is a chicken. Chicken walk around behind other chickens eating what they can find out of their droppings. If one chicken should get a sore the others will go crazy pecking at it eating the infection from it. There is no animal any worse that a chicken. With that said I do eat chicken breast and sometimes a leg or thigh. I do not eat chicken wings or chicken feet. Buffalo wings are nothing but chicken skin, fat, gristle and sometimes bone dipped in some kind of sauce just to make it hot. Everything the French cook seems to be soaked in chicken fat and sometimes I have to turn away before I throw up and if I see someone eating half cooked over easy eggs I do.

I would just as soon eat a crow as a chicken from the squeamish part. But since I have never eaten crow I have no idea how they taste.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:52 PM   #37
Pahoo

Quote:
I would just as soon eat a crow as a chicken from the squeamish part. But since I have never eaten crow I have no idea how they taste.
Wow, after all that, you say you have never eaten a crow!! ...
This next season, I am going to eat a crow that I shoot and let everyone know how I fixed it and how it tastes. Back when, saw my buddy cook and eat a Cardinal during one of our survival weekends and didn't slow him down. I get arond these thing by reminding myself that it is all protein. I've eaten Muskrat and that was a chore but have to say that it was okay but just like boot camp, don't want to that again.

Be Safe !!!!
Old August 20, 2009, 08:27 PM   #38
PT111

Let's just say that I have never eaten crow that I know of but may very well have. Used to be that when it rained they would cook some stuff over in the warehouse and no one ever bothered or was brave enough to ask what it was. Funny that in my part of the country I never saw crows until that past 10 or so years. They are definitely making a comeback since the EPA has banned all the stuff we used to put on the corn when we planted it.

And if anyone wondered spotted owl and bald eagle taste very much alike but ivory billed woodpeckers have a much milder flavor.
Old August 20, 2009, 08:34 PM   #39
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

"roast beast" was the best you got for a description at a bunch of meals I ate... The collie hide in the shower of one guy's place was not seen until after we all had a "B-B-Q beast" samich... but it was good even to my 5 year old palate...
Brent
Old August 20, 2009, 08:55 PM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT111
Buffalo wings are nothing but chicken skin, fat, gristle and sometimes bone dipped in some kind of sauce just to make it hot.
You sir, need to stop by my pizza shop. My wings will make you qualify that statement.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:33 PM   #41
langenc

Could send them to the politicians in Washington and let them all eat crow...

Why?? They are the ones with multi million retirements and supurb healthcare and practically free lunches.
Old August 21, 2009, 04:50 PM   #42
snipecatcher

Crow tastes fine. When I was younger (10-14ish years old) I would go hunting with my crazy old uncle and company. We would stay out there for 3 days or so, and only bring minimal food, such as beans/crackers/etc. We would hunting everything: deer, pigs, and birds. A couple of the times we were camped out, we hunted crows with an owl decoy surrounded by 3 crow decoys, and an electronic caller. We would usually bring down a dozen of them in a day. They would then be filleted, much as you would with a goose or duck. We threw this in a stew with potatoes, onions, and whatever else. Tasted pretty damn good. The meat is basically the same as goose. I actually have quite a bit of respect for the critters. Crows along with ravens are the smartest birds in the world. I don't think I could kill one without the intention of keeping the meat, unless a farmer needed them off of his land for obvious reasons.
-Dan
Old August 21, 2009, 07:01 PM   #43
Pahoo

snipecatcher
Well thank you sir as we finally found someone that knows what crow tastes like. Thought I'd have to eat crow myself.

By any chance, was you Uncle named "Shorty" ??? .... Refrense reply #25

Be Safe !!!
Old August 21, 2009, 07:11 PM   #44
James R. Burke

Try to blow them up with the first shot, or use them for bait.
Old August 22, 2009, 01:03 AM   #45
snipecatcher

Haha, no, his name is Freddy. He is a Vietnam vet and a tough SOB. All of my friends complain that I walk too fast. I think it's from following him around the woods all those years. He is about 6'4" and takes long strides, and at the time, I was damn near running to keep up, for miles. You either kept up or got left behind. He taught me most of what I know of hunting and ethics. He also used to take us pig hunting with dogs, and man that was a blast. He has since given up hunting, only killing varmints that go after his chickens. The man has killed literally thousands of animals in his life, so I don't blame him.
-Dan
Old August 22, 2009, 01:48 AM   #46
animal

Geez, I come back to see what ya’ll are blabbing about and it’s the same stuff as a coupla years ago…

crow tastes like stringy meat made out of what it eats … field crow is okay, carrion crow kinda leaves a bit to be desired…. Depends on how hungry you are.

Same with opossums … but you can control it … if you want good ‘possum ‘n taters you don’t kill ‘em because they’ve been eating all kinds of nastiness, smell like carrion, and taste like carrion crap. :barf:You catch them, pen ‘em up, and feed ‘em corn for 2 or three weeks. This cleans the buggers out and the meat will be good.
The next thing to deal with is the sweet potatoes. They’re just nasty, and there’s nothing you can do about it.
Old August 22, 2009, 03:12 AM   #47
Skan21

Quote:
I've eaten Muskrat
What on earth is a muskrat? That just sounds as if it tastes like garbage.

Quote:
The collie hide in the shower of one guy's place was not seen until after we all had a "B-B-Q beast" samich
ROTFL! Oh man, that reminds me of the time I got a pita sandwich off a street vendor in Iraq. I ate it, and it tasted funny, not at all like the beef I thought it was. Not bad, in fact pretty good, but different. So I dragged our translator over so he could find out what it was. Apparently, they have hedgehogs in Iraq. And they are delicious. You never could have gotten me to eat one if I had known what it was though.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 22, 2009, 11:04 AM   #48
Pahoo

Quote:
What on earth is a muskrat? That just sounds as if it tastes like garbage.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Muskrat

Here in the Midwest, there are Wild-Game feeds every year and you really don't know what they might have from year to year but there are always some common meats. Muskrats, as well as other fur bearing animals, are trapped and the carcus is donated for these feeds. As you walk thru the line, you can pass on it or take what you want. To some folks, the Muskrat is a favorite. It only eats vegitation in waterways and swamps. Does not taste like chicken but is good eating.

Quote:
ROTFL! Oh man, that reminds me of the time I got a pita sandwich off a street vendor in Iraq.
Pita sandwiches from same in Athens Greece. Found out later that it was Dog or Cat and they were great especially after a few beers. They had to tell us !!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old August 22, 2009, 05:27 PM   #49
PT111

The family of a classmate of my daughter's ran a Chinese restaurant. He told her that they would never waste a delicacy such as dog or cat on Americans so she didn't have to worry about that. It did not help her dislike of Chinese food. We never eat Chinese when she is home.
Old August 22, 2009, 05:39 PM   #50
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

we call those little skewers of chicken... "cat on a stick"...
Brent