The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2009, 07:04 PM   #1
MagSxS

Thoughts on Maverick 88 and Stoeger Coach Guns?

Hey all,
I was looking to - sometime within the next few months - to pick up some shotguns

For a pump gun, there's all kinds of choices. But one of the least expensive one, that isnt crap - from what I've seen - is the Maverick (mossberg) 88.

For a Side by Side though, I've heard that Stoeger is pretty good, and not too expensive.
However, in a few threads I've read that it won't last as long as some other brands.

So I wanted to know what the consensus was on both of those.

Thanks!
Old August 16, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
KCabbage

I think you'd be good to go with those choices. I once considered the Maverick, but got the Mossberg 500 instead. I suggest you save up/spend just a bit more for the Mossberg or something else for that matter.

What kind of deal have you found on the Maverick?
Old August 16, 2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Mossy500

I have looked into the mavericks, shot a few, but personally i like the feel and stability of the mossberg 500. their great, reliable guns and you can still buy them new for $230. plus any customization you could ever want to do is avalible for them. (except mag extension)
Old August 16, 2009, 09:16 PM   #4
mavracer

Quote:
For a Side by Side though, I've heard that Stoeger is pretty good, and not too expensive.
However, in a few threads I've read that it won't last as long as some other brands.
It may not last as long as a higher end gun only because a good SBS has nothing really to wear out and is probably good for a million rounds that POS stoger probably won't make it much past 750,000 rounds LOL
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 17, 2009, 12:24 AM   #5
MagSxS

hahah ok, so I probably shouldn't worry.

As for the Maverick, I can't remember what they were going for... 150 or something?
Old August 17, 2009, 04:32 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The maverick is a mossberg 500 with the exception of the safety location. All the parts and possible add-ons will fit the 88. Great gun, decent finish. If you feel it isn't as smooth as you like, a little fine sanding internally and it is butter smooth... or just shoot the crap out of it to smooth it.
Brent
Old August 17, 2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Superhouse 15

The last Maverick I saw had a single action bar and the pump handle was permanantly attached. The 500 has dual bars and a removable nut so you could change out the pump handle if you needed to. As a lefty, I prefer the Mossberg 500 safety.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:18 AM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
It may not last as long as a higher end gun only because a good SBS has nothing really to wear out and is probably good for a million rounds that POS stoger probably won't make it much past 750,000 rounds LOL
Not hardly, maybe 750 rounds before its first repair job......:barf:

SxS shotguns Do wear, and wear out - just like any other machine where you have different pieces mated and wearing on each other. The main difference between good SxS and cheap ones is in the quality of the workmanship, the regulation of the barrels, and the handwork in the fitting and stock finish
Old August 17, 2009, 08:28 AM   #9
LanceOregon

The new CZ 712 Home Defense model that has a 20 inch barrel and 3 interchangeable choke tubes would be a far better tactical shotgun than either of those two you mention.

If you are serious about self-defense, you should consider it.

Here are some photos of it on sale on gunbroker.com:

Old August 17, 2009, 08:43 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The first Mavericks may have had single action bars but that was years ago. All are dual bar today.
Brent
Old August 17, 2009, 10:00 AM   #11
dev_null

I have one of the Stoegers that I bought for CAS; good little shooter, a pussycat with AA Featherweights, and an instinctive pointer. I wouldn't use it for HD -- that's what the 870 is for -- but for a fun little shottie I can recommend it.
Old August 18, 2009, 07:25 PM   #12
INMY01TA

Love my Maverick 88. It's also an endorsed Zombie killer. http://www.zombiecrisis.org/survival...maverick88.php

Old August 19, 2009, 10:14 PM   #13
multigauge

I recently purchased a Stoeger coach gun and was very disappointed with the Brazilian quality. The firing pins barely dented the primer and the barrels did not shoot to the point of aim. I was also unsuccessful in contacting their customer service department.
Old August 24, 2009, 12:28 PM   #14
wnycollector

+1 on the maverick 88. I have had a 20" 8 shot security model for ~2 years. Its reliable, accurate and inexpensive (sub $200 IIRC).
Old August 24, 2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Gator Monroe

As for a budget gun (Home protection even though I have a longer spare barrel for other uses also) My Maverick 88 in Riot configuration with heat shield, police sights, wood stock painted black with recoil pad,sling, police sights is fine for my needs.