The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 15, 2009, 06:42 AM   #1
WeaponX

Ruger Single Six standard to Birds Head frame conversion

I recently acquired a Ruger new model single six in 22LR and want to purchase another but with a Birds Head grip. The only birds head grip Single Six I can find is in 32H&R mag. I was curious if anyone out there knew if the birds head replacement frame from MidwayUSA will work to convert a standard single six in 22LR. If not, does anyone know where I could get a replacement frame or have any other ideas. Thanks for all the help!
Old August 15, 2009, 01:19 PM   #2
BlkHawk73

Can buy the factory Ruger ones from Brownell's, Midway or Ruger directly. They'll need to be fitted to your grip frame and finished as they come "in the white". You'll also need to install the grip locator pin and the trigger spring retainer pin. if you have the patience and skill it's an easy conversion. If not, figure $100-125 or so for it to be fitted and finished.
Old August 15, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
jdscholer

Are they aluminum or steel? jd
Old August 15, 2009, 04:06 PM   #4
hammie

I recently put a brass qualite bird's head grip on my blued single six. I chose brass because the soft metal was easy to remove for fitting and you didn't have to worry about blueing. It also polished easily. I also replaced the alulminum ejector rod housing with a steel one. It looks nice. The only downside is that the brass grip frame adds quite a bit of weight to the gun and the grip frame itself is much wider than the old ruger grip frame.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:31 AM   #5
BlkHawk73

The Ruger birds head ones are either steel or stainless. Having had a brass Bisley frame fitted to a BH, yes it's softer and slightly heavier (not that heavy ) but I've heard quite a few horrors about the Qualite ones needing a LOT of work to fit them up. Having to refinish isn't a big deal if the end result gets you what you want.

Another thought...if the SS you have has the internal locking system, you'll need a new hammer strut spring and seat as well.

Tags
birds head , single six