The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 14, 2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Locoweed

Browning X-Bolt -- What do You Think?

It's been awhile since the Browning X-Bolt rifle has been discussed on this forum. What do you guys think? Is this a good rifle to buy or does it have problems? I've heard you can expect great accuracy right out of the box.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:02 AM   #2
kenjs1

If you like it buy it with no worries. It seems to have kept the best A-bolt features with some improvements. Aesthetics are a personal matter of taste.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Had one--was very accurate--only reason I got rid of it was the wood stock----no aftermarket available and a Browning composite stock was pushin $400.

Wood stocks get beat up too easily.

So---yes they're good guns.
-------Metallica
Old August 14, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Buckmaster

I've got one in 25-06 that is a tack driver! I'm looking forward to deer season! I've also got an A-bolt. Both are great rifles, but the X-bolt's trigger is much better.
Old August 14, 2009, 03:55 PM   #5
WCW

I haven’t had any experience with the X-bolt, but I have two A-bolts, a .223 and a 30-06, that I have had for many years. Both of these rifles are absolute tack drivers. Both have wood stocks and as a previous poster mentioned anything synthetic that will work with them are expensive. It‘s been my experience you just can‘t go wrong with a Browning rifle, but they tend to cost more than a comparable Remington 700 for example. My .223 has an adjustable trigger that is a nice feature, but the 30-06 has a very decent trigger that I really have no complaints about. The detachable clip on the floorplate is also something I like, as well as the bolt throw.
Old August 14, 2009, 06:48 PM   #6
kenjs1

WCW -Bell and Carlson makes a drop in Medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block for around $200. It has been a marvelous replacement to my factory synthetic- which I used as a guinea pig for my first camo paint job. BTW- Timney sells a set of springs for tha A-bolt (not sure if they work in the X bolt) trigger. A snp pto replace and will take the pull down to competition levels. I actually replaced the lighter of the two with the heavier because it was a bit too light for hunting I felt.
Old August 15, 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Kawabuggy

I bought two A-bolts previously as a package deal. I got a .243 and a 22-250. The triggers on them are SUPER easy to adjust. Literally remove the 2 screws holding the action to the stock, then looking at the trigger you will see the SINGLE screw that adjusts the trigger pull. If at it's lowest setting, and you still want it lighter, simply remove the screw, pull the factory spring out, and put in a ball point pen spring... Let me tell you after that simple spring install, the pull is down to around 2 lbs. From the factory-neither one of my guns has ANY creep. The triggers break crisply, and easily now with the ball point pen spring. Kind of red-neck to use Bic pen springs, but they flat out work.. I can't imagine anyone having complaints about A-bolt triggers. They are nice right out of the box. Accuracy? Both guns are MOA with factory ammo.

But the OP was asking about the X-bolts.. Sorry don't own one of those... Yet.