The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 12, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1
GringoGrande

New Rossi Combo .22lr/.410

I just picked up my new Rossi Combo .22lr/.410, bought it off Gunbroker.com for $163.00 plus a FFL charge of $20.00. Over all I am very pleased with the general quality, price for what you get (long gun, two barrels .22 & .410, sling, case with strap, and coupon for 15% off Rossi accessories) . I have never owned a synthetic stocked long arm before, so we will se how that works out.

I ordered the hammer extension and scope mount from Rossi this morning.

My questions are as follows:

1. What general purpose scope and mount in the 3x9 size should I get for just all around use, close in hunting for squirrel and rabbits. Would prefer a non bulky model in the below $100 range, I am looking more for durability than anything else. The rifle is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

2. I want to get a third barrel for this in .22lr and have it bored and reamed to maybe a .22 Hornet or other centerfire ???? ...or should I have it reamed out to .22 Mag or 5mm rem mag and keep it a rimfire? How feasable do you think this is? I re-load, so finding ammo is not too much of a worry on a centerfire. Advice and/or comments?

a. The long gun is already set up for either rim or center fire.
b. The .22lr barrel should be able to be made into a .22 hornet easy enough with a clymers reamers service job.

3. It comes with a 22" modified barrel. I would like to cut it down to 18.5 and add an adjustable choke to the .410. Who sells a .410 adjusable choke in .410and should I install it or have a service install it? I prefer an adjustable choke rather than screw in chokes. Advise and/or comments.

4. I want to Duracoat it while it is still new, do the home Duracoat kits work or is there a better method out there?

5. Can the .410 Rossi barrel shoot 45 long colt ammo, if so, what load would you rec. for taking small deer with either the .410 or the .45LC ?

My goal is to make it even more versitile and a wider range of use. This will be kept in a in the floor horizontal safe at my cabin in PA so I do not have to lug equipment back and forth all the time. Mostly small game hunting, plinking and if possible smaller deer hunting on my land.

Regards,
Steve
Old August 12, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
GringoGrande

whoops, just answered my own ??? on the .45lc

Ok, I had a brain fart, the Rossi barrel for the .410 is NOT rifled, so the .45LC cartridge is out right off the bat. So I guess I am stuck with .410 slug and/or buck shot for small deer ??
Old August 13, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
john in jax

As far as I know you are stuck with what you got for the Rossi. Rossi does make a 3 bbl combo with the .22, .410 and .243 bbls but if I remember correctly minor fitting is usually required so just popping on another bbl may not work. Good luck dealing with Rossi Customer service, my experience was a nightmare.

NEF or HR on the other hand makes and sells a whole bunch of different calibers/barrels for their Handi-Rifle series and you can get your local FFL dealer to order the combo package that is just right for you.

A couple of links you might find helpful.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/default.asp

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
Old August 13, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
PetahW

And, please check your state's game regulations before popping any deer with a .410 slug.

They're not very powerful, and are verbotten for taking deer in many jurisdictions - including my state.

Old August 13, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
GringoGrande

Thanks for the info. I had a Handy rifle and honestly did not like the fit and finish and the fact the trigger pull was more than 2 men and a buck could not pull. The Rossi trigger pull can be lightened as needed and the fit and finish is far surperior than the HR Handy Rifle for almost the exact money as the Rossi.

Yeah, that is why I am going to have to get the .22lr reamed to the .22 hornet. Going to something like a .243, .222 or .22-250 is way over powered for what I want to do.

Hmmmm state laws for game....I will check into that for sure, since it is my own land, I did not honestly know I needed to follow any set rules on taking game that destroys my crop, but I will check into it. I do have a letter from PA-DNR stating I can take the game due to crop damage, but did not know I was limited to calibur or gage of weapon for such instance.

Regards,
Steve
Old August 13, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
a7mmnut

I bought my oldest son one of these combos just like that two years ago. My Handi Rifle was too heavy for him--HUGE mistake! That light synthetic stock kicks like a 20 gauge with 2 1/2" Winchester high speeds. It also is the only .410 bore I know of that comes standard with a MODIFIED choke?! That may sound good until you pattern it with only 1/2 oz. of shot. He now shoots the .22 barrel only, and I'll be lucky to get him to quit flinching before the dove season opener. The NEF has a nice recoil pad and added weight, plus they would have lightened the trigger for you, had you sent it back to the factory. You can't beat their extra barrel prices or accuracy in my book.

-7-

Last edited by a7mmnut; August 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: deletion
Old August 13, 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
doctruptwn

I got the 22/20ga combo for my son, haven't shot the 20ga yet, son loves he 22. I had thought about ordering another barrel in .270 for down the road.

FYI rifle barrels are available in .22lr, .223, .243, .270, 30-06. I cant imagine shooting that litle gun with an 06 load.
Old August 13, 2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Kmar40

I have the 22/410 for my daughter. Works well. Probably wish I had the 22/20 due to the ammunition costs. 410 is pretty pricey compared to 20 or 12.

I don't know what the concern is with Rossi triggers. I've felt horrible triggers certain older Rossi revolvers, but the single shot we have has a decent trigger on par with my old HR.

HR does not have a rimfire and shotgun combo, but they do have an exchange program where you can add additional barrels with certain caveats. (The centerfire frame--SB2--can handle a shotgun barrel or other centerfire barrels. The shotgun barrel can handle other shotgun barrels but not a rimfire or shotgun barrel. The rimfire barrel can handle other rimfire barrels.) The frame must be sent to HR to allow for gunsmith assembly and checking the headspace. http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

The Rossi is quite interesting in that the off center rimfire bore allows it to fire rimfire cartridges in a centerfire gun. However, Rossi does NOT have a spare barrel program (no link because it doesn't exist ) and just adding a barrel from another gun would be dangerous without getting the headspace checked. You must buy the Rossi gun from the factory with the barrels you want.

The first guns my brother and I had were HRs. I just love the feel of those HR or Rossi singleshots. They bring back many wonderful memories.

Last edited by Kmar40; August 13, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old August 13, 2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Kmar40

Quote:
Yeah, that is why I am going to have to get the .22lr reamed to the .22 hornet. Going to something like a .243, .222 or .22-250 is way over powered for what I want to do.
Not gonna work. First the .22LR bore and the .22 Hornet (or any 22 centerfire or 22WMR) bore isn't the same size. Second, look at your Rossi barrel and see that it is off center to allow the firing pin to hit the edge of the rimfire rounds. A 22 Hornet barrel would have to have the bore in the middle of the barrel to allow that firing pin to hit the centerfire primer.

You couldn't use a 45 Colt for deer in Ohio anyway. Shotgun only so far.

The 410 slugs aren't much. Seems like they are 70 grains or so. Those five pellet OOO buck 3" magnum rounds are the best rounds for the 410 IMO but I'm not sure I'd use it on deer. It would have to be a VERY close shot.

Still a good gun and have fun with it.

Last edited by Kmar40; August 13, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old August 13, 2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Kmar40

Quote:
NEF or HR on the other hand makes and sells a whole bunch of different calibers/barrels for their Handi-Rifle series and you can get your local FFL dealer to order the combo package that is just right for you.
But no rimfire/ shotgun, rimfire/centerfire, or rimfire/centerfire/shotgun combos.

Last edited by Kmar40; August 13, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old August 13, 2009, 04:02 PM   #11
GringoGrande

I have a gunsmith that can do the head spacing if needed or fitting. I just found two Rossi barrels on Gunbroker and bought them a .22/410 set that I can alter and use. .

I agree, the Rossi trigger pull is better than NEF/HR.

I know Rossie does not have a barrel exchange, if you read my first post, I am getting a new .22 barrel and having it reamed by Clymers Service to .22 hornet. I called them today and it is $72.50 for the service and $18 for the S&H. That is about the same price for a HR Handi barrel at $90 and S&H.

Since this is for me, not a kid, I am not worried about the recoil of the .410.

I do agree however, I should have bought the 20 gage, I could have bought barrel inserts in many calibers from Brownells and a couple other resources.

I still may buy a 20 ga / 243 long gun set just for added veristility, the cost of both sets is less than one average bolt action rifle and I have all kinds of various combos as well as abilities for different game.

I am not a tactical type person and more practical in needing something use, not to look pretty. So I need to find the scope, add the duracoat and the long gun will be ready for what I want it for on my property.

My other option is just buying various cylinder changers for the .410 and not ream the .22 barrel.

Lots of options for such a simple rifle combo.

Regards,
Steve
Old August 13, 2009, 04:03 PM   #12
GringoGrande

Kmar, exactly and was one of the reasons I went with the Rossi and Rossi is just better built in my personal feelings.
Old August 13, 2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Kmar40

Quote:
I am getting a new .22 barrel and having it reamed by Clymers Service to .22 hornet. I called them today and it is $72.50 for the service and $18 for the S&H. That is about the same price for a HR Handi barrel at $90 and S&H.
I think they are confusing it with the HR. A new 22 barrel, if it's a 223 or soemthing couldn't be "reamed" to 22 Hornet because the 223 chamber is larger already. If it's a 22LR, again, the Rossi bore is off center. Same if it's a 22 WMR barrel. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old August 13, 2009, 04:08 PM   #14
GringoGrande

It gets reamed and lined.....Ted the guy at Clymers said they do this often to rossi and they center up the .22lr bore to be able to use center fire and they so whatever to the extractor/ejector.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Kmar40

Center it up? Weld it up and drill another bore? Still hard to believe.

Show us some pics when you are done. I've always like the 22 Hornet.
Old August 14, 2009, 05:25 PM   #16
a7mmnut

Isn't the .410 barrel a centerfire? Of course. Rossi is the only one offering fimfire/centerfire "switch hitters" besides T/C. With the NEF, you'll have to buy one of each seperately. Since Rossi also put that ugly hump at the rear of the chamber, they simply offset the center of the rimfire boreline at 6 o'clock-low enough to still use the same centerfire pin for all the other barrels. Simple genius, but that's about all the extra credit I'll ever give them. I still have one of their Upland 20 ga. doubles in a billion pieces under my bed.

-7-