The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 11, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Te Anau

What defines a match grade barrel?

You see these ads touting any given guns "match grade barrel" and I was wondering how that is determined? They could tell me it has one and I don't have any idea how I could prove them wrong?
Anyone?
Old August 11, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Hank15

It usually means that the barrel is heavier and fits the slide/stock better.

That usually translates to a thicker barrel and tighter tolerances between the fit.

There may be other factors that make a barrel considered "match" which I may not be aware of.

I am sure other members can answer your question more thoroughly/accurately.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Fremmer

It seems to be a term now commonly used by manufacturers to describe a normal, production-grade barrel. Oh, I mean their manufactured "match grade" barrel.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Dave P

Should include (esp on rifles) a consistent twist rate; smaller muzzle than breach (bore diameter); polished bore; mucho straightness; etc
Old August 11, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
oneounceload

perfectly machined,trued up, precision cut and air-gauged
Old August 11, 2009, 03:29 PM   #6
223 shooter

A true match barrel is usually a custom aftermarket brand like a Shilen , Hart or Krieger. These barrels are hand lapped to produce bore uniformity and smoothness which far exceed that of a mass produced factory rifle.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Funeralfog

if one has a muzzle break then its usually vented different than the normal brake
Old August 11, 2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Bud Helms
Staff

Quote:
What defines a match grade barrel?
Same standard as "Magnum".

The designer/marketer or sometimes even the seller defines it.
Old August 11, 2009, 05:33 PM   #9
csmsss

Quote:
The designer/marketer or sometimes even the seller defines it.
Bingo.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:58 PM   #10
drail

It means the lockup areas are oversized to allow a perfect custom fit by a gunsmith and the bore and rifling are held to a much tighter tolerance with a smoother finish. That said there is nothing that prevents a manufacturer from "claiming" their barrel is match grade when it really isn't. If you look down the bore of a true match grade barrel you can see the difference. You will pay a higher price for this kind of precision. The first match barrel I ever bought was from Wilson Combat (manufactured by somebody else I'm sure) and the interior finish looked like glass. It will put entire magazines through one hole out of a Ransom Rest. I still have an old target with 50 rounds through one ragged hole about 1.5 inches in diameter. Kart is the industry standard and makes barrels for a lot of the top name outfits. (pistol)

Last edited by drail; August 11, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old August 12, 2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Te Anau

Good answers.The Springfield XDM commercial I saw several days ago just got me thinking.
Old August 12, 2009, 06:09 PM   #12
hardluk1

I would be willing to say that when a match barrel is brought up most people think first and formost of a rifle barrel of high quality. In a pistol it typicaly just means heavier with a tighter chamber and maybe a custom fit and that is not allways good for a carry gun,the tight chamber that is. Most pistols are better than the shooter to begin with.