The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
vostracker

IAC shotguns

Who here has the Interstate Arms Corp. 97 trench gun or the 1887 lever action shotguns? How are they holding up? Are you pleased with their quality? I think some were made by Norinco too.
Old August 10, 2009, 02:16 AM   #2
BlackFeather

IAC imports the guns, the guns are made by Norinco... I dont have the ones youve mentioned, I have the hawk 982 but it hasnt failed me yet... though I have to say its maybe only had 700-1000 rounds through it... so I cant say for long term...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 10, 2009, 03:08 AM   #3
Hawg

I don't have the trench gun but I have a plain 97 and it is a great gun. The trench is supposed to be better but I don't see how. Lots of CAS folk using the plain 97's and the 87's.
Old August 10, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
cdnbacon

I have an IAC 97 and an IAC trenchgun with the heatshield and bayo lug. Both are solid although a little stiff in operation. Both function fine, although I haven't put through too many rounds....in the low 100s. I can't say that either one looks any better than the other. The standard 97 is a very recent manufacture and the trenchgun is an MIL3xxx sn. The wood is walnut and the bluing is decent, if not great on both. Let me know if you want the trenchgun....it is a spare I don't need as I have an original 97 and the IAC 97 for cowboy. If interested email [email protected]
Old August 11, 2009, 12:56 AM   #5
MAX100

The wood stocks that are coming on the 93/97 IAC shotguns this year are very nice, with beautiful wood grain. The quality of the shotguns is up also. That said I don't care for the 97 design for many reasons.

GC
Old August 11, 2009, 03:10 AM   #6
vostracker

trenchgun

Thanks for the feedback guys.

cdnbacon: Thanks for the offer, but I just traded for one of the 97 trenchguns.

Mine functioned and patterned very nice. Fit and finish is good. Think I'll splurge and pick up a remake bayonet for it!!!
Old August 11, 2009, 07:02 PM   #7
cdnbacon

It is a heavy beast but is really a neat rig when you heft it.....makes you want to put on a fedora and set up a roadblock for rumrunners. A leather sling looks good on it too.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:18 PM   #8
vostracker

sling

cdnbacon: I sort of thought of the same thing. I didnt really want to spend what originals are going for and this one came up and the deal was right. It goes good with my Thompson smg, colt 32 hammerless and colt 25 vest pocket when I want to go "Gangsta" !!
Old August 12, 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
cdnbacon

As Sean Connery said in the Untouchables.....You carry a badge....you carry a gun!
Old April 15, 2011, 07:10 PM   #10
preacherblb

I just had my dealer order me a trench gun. Does anybody know where I can get a leather (repro WWI) sling & a repro 1917 Enfield bayonet for it? I know Atlanta Cutlery has the bayonet for $79 but I like to shop around before I buy.
Old April 16, 2011, 03:24 AM   #11
Bamashooter

This is good to hear becouse I was really wanting the trench gun but didnt know how good the quality was. It seems like they are ok for the price, so I see a trench gun in my future.
Old April 16, 2011, 05:42 PM   #12
kemassey

I've also been looking at them. I don't like that my monies go to china but hell they go there for everything else we buy. I don't want to spend the money for an authentic trench gun. I have an 1897 that I love and would like to add another to the collection.
Old April 19, 2011, 04:31 PM   #13
kemassey

I finally pulled the trigger so to say. I have a Norinco Trench gun on its way. I just hope the fit a finish is good. Will post a pic when it shows up.
Old April 22, 2011, 05:40 PM   #14
kemassey

I just got my trench gun yesterday from buds. I didn't pay to much attention to their return policy. I looked it over at the shop and missed that the front sight bead was crooked and the hole wasn't even inline with the top of the barrel. As soon as I walked out of the door it became my problem. If I want it fixed it has to go back to Interstate Arms CO. Took it to a smith today to get the sight bead squared and replaced. He asked me how much I planned on shooting it. Contrary to what you will read on the sellers sights the metal on these norinco guns isn't better than the authentic model 97. Basically if I shoot it to much the hammer and sear or trigger or all the above will wear out and cause the hammer to fall when chambering a shell. Just a little FYI for any that are interested in a repro trench gun. You get what you pay for when it comes from china. Also the bluing was not the best on the receiver. On the plus side the Stock and pump is very nice wood. I'm done ranting. Have a good weekend.
Old March 31, 2012, 03:16 PM   #15
charlie63

iac model 372

just purchased a model 372 today and was wondering were you can find accessories for it.