The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 8, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Southern_guy

Worst Commemorative Guns?

What's the worst commemorative guns you have seen?

I once saw a "Cold War Victory" AK-47 that came sporterized and with a red, white, and blue paint job. XD
Old August 8, 2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Not a commemorative, but the old Charter Arms had a "Bonnie and Clyde" set of revolvers. Subbies in .32 and .38. Great way to remember bloodthirsty psycopaths. Wasn't there a John Dillinger commemorative Thompson semi-auto?
Old August 8, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Southern_guy

That's correct, they apparently did make one.
Old August 8, 2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Darren007

That "dillinger" Thompson has got be one of the dumbest ideas I've seen in awhile. Seriously, who comes up with that crap. On a side note, most of the commemorative guns this company puts out are pretty lame.

Whats next? A gold plated Glock "commemorating" the bloods and the crips?? :barf:
Old August 8, 2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Superhouse 15

Gold Plated Hi-Point, actually. With sights on the side.
Old August 8, 2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Wobble

Don't remember where I saw it, but it was an Elvis commemorative rifle (an 1873 I think). All the John Wayne stuff is likewise disgusting -- rifles, holsters, .45 Colt replicas, and even .45 ammo. I actually almost bought some of the .45 LC ammo once when I was having a hard time finding ammo.
Old August 8, 2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Dingoboyx

I bought a Winchester 'Little Big Horn' in 44-40

It is 30 years old, but brand new, unfired when i bought it.... I tried using it for CAS, but being a '94 it was a bad idea to start with. The action is so CLUNKY & hard to operate, the final 1" closing of the lever is near impossible (as the breech block comes up) and the safety has to be pushed by the lever.... so it is impossible to cycle on your shoulder.

So I now just keep it as a collector piece.... but hey, didn't the good guys lose the 'Little Big Horn' conflict? I see it as a clunker to celebrate a loss??

Beautiful gun to 'look at' tho
Old August 8, 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
danweasel

One commemorating a recent president comes to mind. But that is because I still don't forgive him.
Old August 9, 2009, 12:31 AM   #9
Shadi Khalil

Everyone I've seen is hideous.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Tom2

They should be considered novelties and you just get them for your own gratification, as they will not become valuable in your lifetime, or maybe your childrens. Sometimes it is a great way to get a gun cheap. Like I got a SAA pistol once, that was an NRA commemorative, cheap. And I got a Winchester 94 that was a special edition type from mid 60's cheap. It had an octagon barrel and was the most accurate 94 you could ever try. It had the ugly black chrome receiver but I took off all the gold geegaws and replaced them with blued, and it looked respectable. Sadly both are gone now. I have not ever felt the urge to drop thousands on a shiny gold tone wall hanger, but I think the John Wayne holsters that someone dissed here, would be nice! Not like they are heavily decorated or something.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Southern_guy

Quote:
So I now just keep it as a collector piece.... but hey, didn't the good guys lose the 'Little Big Horn' conflict? I see it as a clunker to celebrate a loss??
Depends on your perspective.

Why do companies keep making so many commemorative firearms anyway? It seems as if not many people purchase them.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

To be perfectly honest, ALL of them.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:46 AM   #13
skydiver3346

Commemorative guns:

Quote: "To be perfectly honest, all of them".......

I agree, but I did like the Colt 1911's that were World War I commemorative editions. Think there were three or four of them. I have the Belleau Wood model. Of course, I am a history nut about WWI anyway.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:43 AM   #14
Ruger4570

Unfortunatly people buy them thinking they will grow in value. The sad truth is many of them are not worth what they cost. Far too much Glitz and Glitter for my taste.
Obviously I don't have any commeratives, but, I remember the early Colt 1911's. Ithink they were pretty much the first of the commeratives and for the most part not TOO fancy.
Old August 9, 2009, 11:08 AM   #15
JagFarlane

I actually like the guns Beretta did to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the M9 [well own one heh]. Function, not overpowering, but they come with a nice case, are fully functional, actually get good comments on the looks at the range, and if I want, Beretta can put my name and rank on the other side. Plus,I paid the same for it as I would have for a new 92FS, can't complain there. Its just something nice that reminds me of the years I put into the service.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:44 PM   #16
sds

I just hope Taurus never comes out with a "Judge Holden" edition
Old August 11, 2009, 10:05 PM   #17
Zilmo

This one:

But of course we can't forget all the Dale Sr. and Dale Jr. crap.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:41 PM   #18
unloading

I think I remember seeing some sort of garrish commemorative AK (not the one that belonged to Saddam, but an american version).
Old August 11, 2009, 11:50 PM   #19
CraigC

I love the older Winchester, Colt and S&W commemoratives! They're a great way to get a scarce configuration or spiffy finishes at affordable prices. About ten years ago I paid less for a NIB Winchester 94 NRA Centennial rifle than a new standard issue model. Styled after the long gone M64. The Canadian model is another good one, available in both 20" and 24" octagon models. The one I lust after is the Chief Crazy Horse model in .38-55 with its 24" round barrel and case colored receiver. Then there's the Colt Alaska Pipeline model with its unfluted cylinder and full blue finish. The Colt SAA Winchester commemorative is a nice one too. Some of them, however, are in very poor taste. Not too keen on gold plating.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:16 AM   #20
austinjking

I would get something commemorative if I had something to do with it, like Iraq or Afghanistan. Maybe it has a personal value even if it doesn't have collector value. And some folks really like John Wayne, whats wrong with that?
Old August 12, 2009, 02:18 AM   #21
Southern_guy

Quote:
And some folks really like John Wayne, whats wrong with that?
A "cowboy" actor being commemorated with a firearm model from at least 80 years after the Old West era ended is what's wrong with that.
Old August 12, 2009, 08:20 AM   #22
CraigC

Anybody with their ear to the ground would know that those "80yr old cowboy guns" are alive and well and more popular than ever! Hell, 90% of what I own falls into that category.
Old August 12, 2009, 08:35 AM   #23
Skans

I never could figure out who even purchases commemerative guns. You see nough of these things around, and everyone I have ever talk to has nothing good to say about commemeratives. Someone must be purchasing them?

In stead of commemeratives, I wish that certain companies would make "premium" models of certain guns. I wouldn't mind having a premium version of a CZ75 with some finish other than the spray paint. Why doesn't Browning do a new run of premium Belgium made Hi-Powers with forged frames and finely finished slides, barrels and parts? Or, how about Colt making an AR15 out of milled billets of titanium?
Old August 12, 2009, 09:35 AM   #24
Bud Helms
Staff

Quote:
I just hope Taurus never comes out with a "Judge Holden" edition
That'll probably be a Judge Dredd Commemorative.
Old August 14, 2009, 03:09 PM   #25
berettaprofessor

In reading this thread I would draw attention to Beretta's commemoratives; the 470th commemorative is a highly sought after Model 92, but it's not grotesque...the only gold is the lettering on the finely engraved slide, a good thing since I think its the gold detail that looks ugly in many of the pictures on this thread. Other commemoratives by Beretta have looked good as well.

Also to follow up on Skans idea, Beretta often puts out premium models (the Steel 1 and the Billenium being two recent ones) that bring premium prices and hold their value.

The Italians do know their style.