The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 6, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
V.Hunter

Colt Frontier Scout .22

I do not have any experience with this revolver and have found one for sale at what looks to be a good price.

I am wondering about the quality and accuracy (I know it doesn't come with adjustable sights so it will be limited but still wondering) of this piece. If anyone has any experience with this revolver please relay what you know.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
smee78

I like mine, It shoots just fine.

Last edited by smee78; August 7, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

These were made by Colt Firearms. Quality was very high.
There were several versions made from 1957 to 1970.

Accuracy depends on the ammunition, so be prepared to experiment to find a brand/type that specific gun "likes".
The fixed sights may or may not shoot to center for you, and this is normal, but actual accuracy was usually good.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:45 PM   #4
shootingftw

Never owned or shot one but have heard only good things about them.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:12 PM   #5
DAnjet500

Fine little revolvers and fun to shoot. This one is a duotone.

Old August 7, 2009, 06:03 AM   #6
CajunBass

I've got one on layaway now at my favorite shop. Gun is in near new condition, with two cylinders, and the original box and has a little three pointed "Colt" screwdriver with it. No papers though. Oh, well. Can't have everything I guess.

I asked the same question over on Rimfire Central.com and got this answer from wdkline:

Quote:
Colt Frontier Scouts were made with three different frames. A light alloy, a heavy alloy, and steel CCH. These guns are identified by serial number prefix/suffix.

The early guns were "Q" series with a duo-tone finish - the light alloy frame was left in the white while the barrel, clyinder, ejector were blue. The "Q" guns were .22LR only with a single cylinder. Next came the "F" series guns which still had the light alloy frame, but an all blue finish. Both the "Q" and "F" series guns came with either black plastic stocks or walnut (not common). "F" guns can be either single or dual cylinder (.22 mag).

The "K" series and "P" series Scouts have a heavier alloy frame. The "K" guns were nickel finish with walnut stocks, the "P" guns had Staglite stocks and a black epoxy finish on the frame. The "K" and "P" guns were most often dual cylinder.

The "G" series guns were case color hardened steel frames. These were the Peacemaker and New Frontier guns - the latter having an adjustable rear sight. Black plastic "eagle" stocks were the norm. "G" guns were dual cylinder.

The final series (mid-1980s) had a cross-bolt safety and a "GS" serial number. All were New Frontiers and .22 LR only.

Stocks are interchangable on these guns and many are mix-masters at this point. The heft of the later guns is much closer to the full size SAA, but the early guns are still great little plinkers. Frontier Scouts were also used extensively as commemorative guns with all sorts of combinations of finishes and features.

Don Wilkerson's book is the bible on these guns.

Bill
The one I've got on layway is a "F" series, made in 1967. I had, note I said "had" a Steel Frame GS model years ago, and traded it off. (Insert headbang image here) We all talk about gun trading mistakes, but THAT was one. (Insert sad music here.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 7, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
CraigC

They're good guns and as CajunBass' post outlines, their materials and construction varies. IMHO, they're probably marginally better than a Single Six, differing mostly in finish quality. Not quite as well-made as their centerfire brethren but if you can find a used one that somebody does not think is made of solid gold just because it has the Colt name on it, snap it up.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:03 PM   #8
V.Hunter

I am going to go back to the shop today to look it over a little closer, thanks for all of the info especially CajunBass. I don’t belong to any other forum or sit on the net a lot and that post helped me out a lot.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:24 PM   #9
CraigC

How much are they asking? Is it used? Box?
Old August 7, 2009, 01:31 PM   #10
DAnjet500

"The early guns were "Q" series with a duo-tone finish - the light alloy frame was left in the white while the barrel, clyinder, ejector were blue. The "Q" guns were .22LR only with a single cylinder. Next came the "F" series guns which]still had the light alloy frame, but an all blue finish. Both the "Q" and "F" series guns came with either black plastic stocks or walnut (not common). "F" guns can be either single or dual cylinder (.22 mag)."

This is not true as the gun in my previous post is an "F" gun. It is a single cylinder model, long rifle only. I do not profess to be an expert but just trying to relay correct information. A gentleman who goes by the name of Buckspen on the Colt Forum is very knowledgable about these guns.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:10 PM   #11
WVleo

Colt Frontier Scout

Picked up this Colt Frontier Scout " F " series ( 1957 Manufacture D.O.B. ) .22lr for $360 . Not even a drag line on the cylinder, M-I-L bought Me the Jay Scott stag grips for it, came with the plastic colt pony models as others have shown. The orange on the front sight is fabric paint . I believe the frame is painted but the cylinder and barrel I believe are blued. Fine little gun , lots of fun to shoot and cheap, plentiful .22lr ammo . ........WVleo
Old August 7, 2009, 05:22 PM   #12
greenacres

A year ago I bought an old and well used F series Frontier Scout and I like it a lot. Even better than the Single Six I used to own. Accuracy varies a lot with different kinds of ammo, but with the right ammo it is very accurate even with the fixed sights. Mine prefers Remington Eley Target Rifle and Remington Standard Velocity Target.
Old August 7, 2009, 06:55 PM   #13
V.Hunter

Didn’t get to the shop today like I wanted so it is probably gone. From what I remember it is unfired, 2 cylinders, black colt grips, with box. I believe the price was $349.
Old August 7, 2009, 07:38 PM   #14
CraigC

Sounds like a good deal if it's in good shape! Figure a new Single Six is about four hundred.
Old August 9, 2009, 02:37 PM   #15
V.Hunter

It was gone. I was mistaken though as it did not come with 2 cylinders. I dont feel as bad but still would have liked to get a closer look at it.