The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 6, 2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

.416 Rigby... seems the TC Encore is a cost effective option...

anyone shot one ??? I've been wanting a .416 since I bought my 375 H&H... & almost bought a CZ rifle several years ago, but they've gone up in price along with the ammo...

was flipping through Gun Broker the other day & noticed I could buy a ported barrel stainless Encore in 416 pretty reasonably... I have been considering an Encore anyway, since I'm a Contender collector, & it would be nice to have an Encore & a couple barrels...

seems that even with the ported barrel, the light weight Encore would kick some butt in the recoil department ??? anyone out there shot one ???
Old August 6, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
kraigwy

I built a 416 Rigby in the late 70s on a 1917 Rem Enfield Action. ( actually the first gun I built) I put it together cheaper then you can by an encore barrel.

Ammo was hard to get back then. the Rigby was still a prpiraty (sp) cart. meaning you could only buy it from rigby. I had to buy 460 Wheatherby brass and cut the belt off and run it through the Rigby die.

I still have the rifle and yes it kickes like a mule.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 6, 2009, 09:34 AM   #3
trooper3385

I don't image it would be that bad in the recoil dept. The barrel is ported, so it will probably be loud as hell. Also, if you go with the Encore Pro Hunter, it has the synthetic flex tech stock. It's supposedly reduces the recoil by like 30 to 40%. Just a guess, with the stock and the ported barrel, I would imagine it would be like a 300 win mag.
Old August 6, 2009, 10:11 AM   #4
darkgael

I'm of the other school of thought about the .416 Rigby as it would be as an Encore. Yes, it's ported. I was not impressed with recoil reduction for the 500 S&W in the 15" pistol barrel. So I wouldn't expect much in this case. I haven't used the flex tech stock; that might be a help.
The fact is, ported or not, you are firing a very powerful cartridge out of a rifle that weighs less than seven pounds. Even with a scope, it's less than eight.
My Ruger #1 in .416 weighs 9.5 with its scope and it's a heavy kicker. I don't see that porting making up much of the difference.
I also have an unported .300 Win mag barrel for the Encore. Recoil on that is nothing special.
Pete
Old August 6, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Crankylove

My father has a 9-10 lb CZ 550 in 416 Rigby..........and even with the weight of the rifles, it still has quite a bit of recoil. It is by no means unbearable, but I really wouldn't want to shoot that cartridge out of a lighter weight weapon.

Last edited by Crankylove; August 7, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Westcoaster

I have not shot a TC Encore but I do own and frequently shoot a CZ 550 Magnum in 416 Rigby. The CZ is a "beefier" rifle and it is a good thing because the Rigby is a strong recoiling cartridge.

I would view with trepidation shooting the 416 Rigby in a fairly light rifle.
Old August 8, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7
tulsamal

Nothing wrong with getting an Encore for general use....

But I would save my pennies and wait to get the CZ for .416 Rigby.

I've wanted to buy that combination for quite a while now myself. Then CZ really made me cry when they introduced the .505 Gibbs. I've wanted one of those since I was about 13 and read The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber. If I could get one for the $800 price of a CZ in .416, it would be a done deal. But the 505 is the more expensive model and more like 1500.

Still want one but can't force myself to put that much money into something that honestly would just be a nostalgia/fun gun.

Gregg
Old August 8, 2009, 11:46 AM   #8
CraigC

I'm not real nuts about the T/C's in rifle configuration and wouldn't want to shoot one in .416Rigby. I'd love to have a .416 but I'd want it chambered in something more appropriate to the cartridge's intended use. Although the Ruger #1 in .416 (or .450/.400) is awfully tempting. The added weight will be appreciated in the over .40cal chamberings. An 8lb rifle would be fine in .375H&H, not a .416.
Old August 8, 2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Scorch

Not being a huge fan of the TC Encore rifles, I would recommend a good bolt action in 416 Rigby, like a CZ or a Ruger. The extra weight will come in handy if you ever decide to actually shoot it.
Old August 8, 2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

looking at the barrels alone, the .416 barrel is on the high side... but the .416 combo seems like a pretty good deal...

I have alot of irons in the fire right now, but am seriously considering the Rigby in the Pro Hunter ( since I'm only really after it for fun )... I'd consider my 375 H&H or 338 Win Mag plenty of rifle for any dangerous game I'm likely to have the chance to hunt... the 338 Win Mag with Federal Premium Safari cartridges loaded with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, out penitrated the same cartridge & bullet in the 375 H&H & fully penitrated an old freezer 2.5' thick packed solid with sheetrock at 200 yards...

buying 416 ammo looks kinda crazy, but dies are reasonable & available, Hornady brass is available & cheap compared to the cost of loaded rounds, bullets look to be about a buck a piece, as does the powder charge, so, for just over $2.00 each, reloading the cartridge doesn't seem that bad... & at least in a hard kicking single shot, the "use" would be less as well...
Old August 8, 2009, 07:23 PM   #11
darkgael

less

Quote:
bullets look to be about a buck a piece, as does the powder charge,
Agree about the bullets. Not the powder though. Less than that don't you think?
On average, one pound of an appropriate propellant will give you 70 loads for the .416 Rigby. At $21 a pound that's 30 cents. So....good news, you are way under two dollars a shot.
Pete
Old August 8, 2009, 09:34 PM   #12
csmsss

When you consider the cost of touching off several thousand rounds of .416 Rigby, the cost of the rifle doesn't seem like such a huge issue to me. That said, I think the CZ-550 Safari in this caliber is an absolute steal at less than a thousand bucks.
Old August 9, 2009, 01:01 AM   #13
CraigC

You can always load it with gas checked cast bullets.
Old August 9, 2009, 03:40 PM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
touching off several thousand rounds of .416 Rigby
I like shooting boomers, but seriously doubt I'll be "touching off" anywheres close to several 1000 rounds over the rest of my life ( I do have other guns to shoot too )

... & I was just generalizing the powder costs ( obviously rounding everything up )

I have several other CZ rifles, as my father in law collected them, so it would be a natural addition to our CZ / BRNO rifle collection, & the Encore would fit nicely in with all the Contenders ( all of which are blued to this point ) & I have been considering a stainless Contender or Encore action

so I'm really undecided... if the .416 is really too much for the Encore then maybe the CZ is better for that caliber, & I should get my 1st Encore in another format