The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1
HellBillySuperstar

Is the local pawn shop breaking the law?

I recently purchased a box of .45 acp from a local pawn shop. The box was name brand and so was all of the ammo.

Some Federal

A few Remington....

And some brass that wasn't marked with a manufacturer.

I think they are reloading ammo and selling it in name brand boxes.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Depends.
If the ammo is sold as factory-new, but its really reloaded, that could be fraud.
If the ammo is all new, but the box is filled with different brands of ammo, there's no law against that, but few smart buyers would be willing to buy it unless its a really good price.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:06 PM   #3
scottaschultz

We've all been complaining for months about the ammunition shortage and here a guy finds some and is complaining about that!!!

There is just no pleasing some people. Some people would complain if they were hanged with a new rope!

Scott
Old June 9, 2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
We've all been complaining for months about the ammunition shortage and here a guy finds some and is complaining about that!!!

There is just no pleasing some people. Some people would complain if they were hanged with a new rope!

Scott
Why should anyone pay a premium price for someones bootleg, potentially dangerous ammo? I hope your not serious.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
HellBillySuperstar

Oh I'm not complaining, I was just curious. I checked all the rounds over and they all seemed to be in good shape. The box was $15 for 50, so I bought it even knowing they were all something different. I just wondered if it was something they could legally do. The shop here in town has had a few run ins with the law and from what I have been told they even lost their FFL once. The story I was given from the guy at the counter was that they were all "factory" rounds that had been traded in with a pistol. The only reason I found it hard to believe was because I traded in 100 rounds with my .40 and they boxed them in plain white boxes and marked them as assorted brands.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Keltyke

Quote:
I think they are reloading ammo and selling it in name brand boxes.
If they mark it as "reloaded", they're ok. If not, that's fraud under the truth in advertising laws.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
chris in va

Huh. I'm trying to figger out what manufacturer wouldn't stamp their brass. No marks at all? What does the box say?
Old August 15, 2009, 03:29 PM   #8
HellBillySuperstar

It's an old thread coming back!

So I finally got out to shoot up this box of ammo. Threw a bowling pin out and started having at it. The third round felt funny. It didn't seem to recoil as much as normal and it looked like the explosion came from around the chamber instead of the end of the barrel. I dropped the mag and racked the slide back and checked the barrel for an obstruction, there was none so I slid my mag back in and continued on. After finishing up the few rounds I had left I started picking up brass when I found one with the primer set off and the bullet still in the casing. It seems like it just barely dislodged the bullet. Just enough for the flame to shoot out around it.

So I wont be buying any more ammo from the local pawn shop!!
Old August 15, 2009, 04:02 PM   #9
brickeyee

You need an ammunition manufacturer's FFL to make and sell ammunition.

A regular pawn shop type FFL is not adequate.
Old August 15, 2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Trade-in ammo?

It seems, to me, likely that this pawn shop is selling ammo it received from someone off the street. Maybe brought in with a gun, and now they are selling the ammo separately.

Does the phrase "Without warranty" or the phrase "As-Is" appear on the sales receipt? Pawn shops are "Caveat emptor" sellers (buyer beware).

As far as the headstamp on the brass not matching the box labelling, that is completely understandable if these are reloads. (I used to store all my reloaded brass in the same box I bought the original, factory ammo in, but eventually, some brass got mixed up with other brass, so now I have Remington 357s mixed up with Federal 357s and Winchester 357s. Those do not get heavy loads and are only for plinking. Serious ammo is still segregated.)

I would assume a box of mixed headstamps or headstamps not matching the box label are reloads and it is anybody's guess as to who reloaded them, the pawn shop, the guy who sold them to the shop or his next-door neighbor's demented buddy who scrounges range brass. No provenance, no shoot. But then, I am a little hypocritical; I have bought used brass advertised as "once fired" but, after examination, I believe probably to be of unknown history. I am not throwing them out, so I will load'em up and shoot them. After inspection.

Lost Sheep
Old August 15, 2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

Any rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaschultz
Scott
Scott,

Darned right! I would complain about being hung wit ANY rope!

New ropes are stiff and scratchy. I don't want my corpse to have a rash on its neck. Old ropes are much more comfortable.

However, an old rope is likely to be more stretchy and not give a good <SNAP>. Nothing worse in a hanging that not to get a good, clean break of the neck.

I first heard that homily 50 years ago and still have not figured out whether it is supposed to be a new rope or an old rope.

Lost Sheep.
Old August 15, 2009, 06:49 PM   #12
4719dave

misc ammo

Guys im new to the site .I was told by a pawn shop that they couldnt take in ammo ,Bad mojo shooting unknown reloads
Old August 16, 2009, 07:35 AM   #13
jmr40

The pawnshop where I hang out has a box of ammo on the counter. People often bring in partial boxes of ammo when they trade. The owner puts them in the box and sells it for next to nothing. A lot of the rounds are just loose in the bottom.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
If they mark it as "reloaded", they're ok. If not, that's fraud under the truth in advertising laws.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
It seems, to me, likely that this pawn shop is selling ammo it received from someone off the street. Maybe brought in with a gun, and now they are selling the ammo separately.
Right, they are likely just selling what they received.

Quote:
Does the phrase "Without warranty" or the phrase "As-Is" appear on the sales receipt? Pawn shops are "Caveat emptor" sellers (buyer beware).
I don't know about all states, but such phrases are not necessary on receipts in many (most/all?).

Quote:
Guys im new to the site .I was told by a pawn shop that they couldnt take in ammo ,Bad mojo shooting unknown reloads
More than likely, they COULD take in ammo if they so desired. It likely isn't that they can't, but won't.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Lurch37

The pawn shop here marks ammo they take in on trade as "brass only". I take that to mean it may be good to shoot or maybe not so good to shoot, so to me it's as like your buying it "as-is". In my case, I do buy a lot of it as it is generally cheaper than factory new, but I'm careful when looking it over. I do NOT buy ammo that looks rusty or poorly stored or whatever. The original poster said he paid $15 for 50 rounds which is a decent price, but nothing fantastic as WWB, (if you can find it), is around $30 for a 100 rounds. To top it off though it sounds as if he had a squib load which is bad news.

HellBillySuperstar, I'm surprised that squib had enough energy to function your slide and even eject the non-empty. I've had some duds in the past, dented primer but no bang, but I've never had a primer pop without the resulting big bang so your experience is very interesting.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:37 AM   #16
NickySantoro

Is the local pawn shop breaking the law?

Was it represented to be reloads or NIB factory? What did you ask for? What did they tell you it was? I've bought reloads in factory boxes but it was bought as reloads.
Old August 16, 2009, 04:37 PM   #17
dogtown tom

Quote:
brickeyee: You need an ammunition manufacturer's FFL to make and sell ammunition.

A regular pawn shop type FFL is not adequate.
No FFL is required (by anyone) to sell ammunition.

The only time an FFL is requred is if you are importing or manufacturing ammunition for sale.

From the ATF Firearms FAQ's:
Quote:
(F11) Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition? [Back]

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)