The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2009, 04:09 AM   #1
plom

Glock 17 vs smith and wesson MP9.

If you had to choose only one for duty use wich one would you take and why?they both equaly feat my hand. Thanks
Old August 2, 2009, 04:18 AM   #2
ReNtaPiG

LOL...I knew this would come up eventually...I own the Glock for duty use and quite frankly the ONLY reason I do is it's reputation for reliability

Now I also own an M&P40c and the M&P is to me IMHO a much better crafted piece...feels better with the adjustable back straps, interchangeable mag release AND MUCH BETTER LOOKS then the str8 up block glock. The M&P is also just as reliable and the best part of it all is that S&W = American

So basically in a nut shell, had I played with the M&P before the Glock then the Safariland holster would be sporting an M&P instead of a Glock
Old August 2, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Uncle Malice

I would gladly take the M&P over the Glock.

A lot of people argue in favor of the Glock due to availability of parts. Well, as I understand it, Glock's customer service isn't particularly happy to do warranty repairs and if they do, it's quite a long turn around time. So yes, it's good that you can fix most things yourself or have a smith do it.... but that doesn't really equal great customer service.

On the other hand, Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory both have a reputation for very good customer service. I would say that Springfield is a hair above S&W, but they are really very close. When I got my M&P 9c, they come with 2 magazines, 1 with a flat base plate and 1 with the pinky extension. Well I liked the pinky extension version. Also when I was first reading the manual and looking at how the back strap pin twists and slides out, I managed to mar up the little notch on the pin because I twisted it a bit too much. Well I called Smith & Wesson support to ask what I would have to do about ordering another pinky extension for my second magazine and maybe an extra back strap pin... the gentleman I spoke with was more than happy to send me both items free of charge.

That says a lot to me. He explained that basically they send 1 magazine with and without the extension so the customer can try both and decide which they prefer. If they call, S&W will gladly send you the 2nd base plate of your choice.

So yes...FWIW, I own an M&P and 2 Springfield XD's... I have sold or traded away all of the Glocks.
Old August 2, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
gun nut

Its easy for me. The m&p fits my hand way better. My chubby fingers don't fit the "finger" grooves on the glock.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Boats

Glock has gotten long in the tooth and it increasingly shows. Most Glock users are forced to use it by price or bureaucratic circumstance, rather like its kludgy and just as hideous soul twin, Microsoft Windows.

But hey, they both work!

If that's all that's important, they meet the minimum criteria. People should think they deserve better.

When I was a reserve deputy back in the day, I was offered an issue Glock 17 for duty. I paid for my own department approved Beretta 92FS, and later, a SIG P226 rather than take the lowest common denominator.

The M&P is another I would choose over the polymer brick. The only Glock that remotely appeals to me is the G20. The 10mm Glocks are the only peerless Glocks on the market.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:36 AM   #6
rsxr22

Glock.

Im not a glock fanatic. I actually cant stand glock fanatic's but i own many different pistols and no matter how much i try to get away from them by buying HK's, Sig's, 1911's. Glocks just always work and i keep going back to them. I would rather have a G22 for duty though over a G17
Old August 2, 2009, 01:04 PM   #7
als54

I'd say go with what fits your hand although I'm bias for the Glock and it's proven reliability.
Taurus PT145 Millennium PRO
Old August 2, 2009, 02:27 PM   #8
ranburr

Glock by a long shot.
Old August 2, 2009, 02:36 PM   #9
sholling

The one that fits you best. Glocks don't work for me and M&Ps do.
Old August 2, 2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Glock_fan

I own a Glock 17 and a M&P45, which has a slightly larger frame I believe to accomidate for the larger round, but could be wrong. The M&P fits better in my hand but jussst barely. My G17 is my favorite pistol I own, and I am really accurate with it, but I would go with the M&P.

I agree with the above posts with buying American, and great customer service with Smith, another thing with Smith is that their warrenties are lifetime warrenties, so 60 years from now if you have problems with it Smith will fix it for free. I'm from Iowa and the Iowa State Patrol carries the M&P40. Sadly even though I own one, I don't have much experience with my M&P because .45 ACP has become as rare as hens teeth around my neck of the woods.

www.gunpundit.com/2008/flood_checkpoint.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg
Old August 2, 2009, 03:05 PM   #11
THEZACHARIAS

I shoot the same with both, but I like the balance and the feel of the M&P better, plus the huge magazine capacity. Besides that, the fact that its all american gives me the warm fuzzies.
Old August 2, 2009, 03:59 PM   #12
RT

I've had both. Prefer the Glocks-- specifically the G19. Proven reliability, utilitarian simplicity, plethora of aftermarket parts and mags. Also prefer the reset on the Glock trigger. In reality, it comes down to personal preference.
Old August 2, 2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Kermit

Glock -- longer reputation for reliability and dependability esp in 9mm! Ask the Los Angeles County Sheriff's dept why the M&P is no longer approved for duty use!
Old August 2, 2009, 04:20 PM   #14
roman3

I'm used to the Glock and it would be my choice. Being American made does not mean much these days and it certainly is not synonymous with quality. For me the trigger reset or lack thereof in the M&P keeps me from embracing it. Try them both but of the 3 big mid priced Polymer guns (Glock, M&P and XD) the M&P would be last for me.
Old August 2, 2009, 04:45 PM   #15
plom

Hi Kermit, why is it not aproved anymore for duty use?
Old August 2, 2009, 05:21 PM   #16
sholling

Quote:
Glock -- longer reputation for reliability and dependability esp in 9mm! Ask the Los Angeles County Sheriff's dept why the M&P is no longer approved for duty use!
Let's be fair and have full disclosure. It's for the same reason that Glocks have been pulled from service (or replaced) by several LE agencies. A small batch of supposedly "bad barrels" and local department politics. The funny thing is that it seems like LASD got all of the few bad ones. Meanwhile other agencies are replacing Glocks, far more than the one agency replacing M&Ps. Anybody wanting to get into a P***ing contest should google first.

http://www.policeone.com/news/81618
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1616676/posts
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/leo-tal...ck-21-use.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...o-explode.html

Bottom line both are good reliable accurate pistols. Pick the one that fits you and you shoot the best.

Last edited by sholling; August 2, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:45 PM   #17
pabst_20

If my life was on the line I would want the M&P in my hand over a glock
Old August 2, 2009, 07:43 PM   #18
mcintosh02

The glock design has proven itself, that is without question. However, glock could just as easily produce a pistol with better ergonomics, but they dont. The glock design is almost 30 years old now. Competitors have learned from glocks sucesses and timproved upon their mistakes.

Id go with the M&P.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:18 AM   #19
Dave T

Quote:
Glock has gotten long in the tooth and it increasingly shows. Most Glock users are forced to use it by price or bureaucratic circumstance, rather like its kludgy and just as hideous soul twin, Microsoft Windows.

But hey, they both work!

If that's all that's important, they meet the minimum criteria. People should think they deserve better.

When I was a reserve deputy back in the day, I was offered an issue Glock 17 for duty. I paid for my own department approved Beretta 92FS, and later, a SIG P226 rather than take the lowest common denominator.

The M&P is another I would choose over the polymer brick. The only Glock that remotely appeals to me is the G20. The 10mm Glocks are the only peerless Glocks on the market.
Sure glad I have a couple of G20s. Otherwise you wouldn't approve of me at all. Just can't imagine how bad that would be.

Dave
Old August 3, 2009, 02:14 PM   #20
#18indycolts

glock, hands down.
Old August 3, 2009, 02:19 PM   #21
Boats

It has nothing to do with approval. Some people tout Glocks as the be all--end all--and some people think they are barely acceptable. If Glocks blow your skirt up so be it, but many people can and do better for themselves in polymer every time they pass up a typical service caliber Glock for a more updated design.
Old August 3, 2009, 02:33 PM   #22
predecessor

I certainly prefer the M&P to the Glock. But why couldn't S&W make take down on the M&P a little easier? Just goes to show that no gun is perfect.
Old August 3, 2009, 02:56 PM   #23
bangbangshootshoot

I've fired both & liked the feel of the Smith, so decided to go with the M&P; (9c is my concealed carry)
-predecessor; I find take down quite easy. I never use the frame tool to let down the sear deactivation lever though, just use my pinky finger or the eraser end of a pencil.
Old August 3, 2009, 03:12 PM   #24
Logs

Flip a coin

I own the G19 and MP9, both go bang, both shoot really good groups. It really comes down to you and how each will fit you. I can get use to either trigger and both of mine have the rails for lights.
Old August 3, 2009, 04:31 PM   #25
donmor53

As far as the polymers go...I have owned Glocks since shortly after the 17s hit the American market. Since I've purchased my 17, 23 and 27...many have added polymers to their product lines. I have managed to handle and shoot one S&W as well as several of the other manufacturers samples. Unless an MP9 proved to be remarkably more accurate than my 17...(and the one I shot was not)...I'll stick with the proven record of dependability Glock has world wide. I don't know...call me too conservative but that is the way I feel.

That said...if I had to carry one in harms way on a daily basis...I would most likely trade either for a Sig or HK polymer. Until totally convinced about polymers (I more of a traditionalist I guess)...I'll carry my Sig 239 or 229 for CCW.