The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 1, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Michael The Disciple

Are There Laws About Shotgun Lengths?

I never owned one so had to ask. I have been looking at the Grizzly Shotguns from China. One has a 12.5 inch barrel the other a 15. Are these short guns legal in America? Thanks!
Old August 1, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2
TxGun

n/a

Last edited by TxGun; August 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
TxGun

Not unless they are appropriately registered with BATF and a 1-time $200 tax stamp, per weapon, is obtained. Unless you successfully complete those steps, you are illegal. An 18" barrel and 26" overall length are the "usual" minimums.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Michael The Disciple

Thanks a lot!
Old August 1, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Hawg Haggen

Shotguns can't be imported from China anymore.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:01 PM   #6
TxGun

Not exactly correct. For example, the NEF Pardner series of pump shotguns is made in China. (Very good guns for the money, BTW).

Last edited by TxGun; August 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
This remark deserves a link substantiating the claim. It would be a very recent change. So should be easy to research a link for us.
Brent
Old August 1, 2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Tommy Vercetti

Quote:
unsubstantiated claims like this are nothing new here
Old August 1, 2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Shotguns with barrels less than 18" PROBABLY can't be imported into the US.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:54 AM   #10
PetahW

Sure they can, as witness the importation of the 12" Benelli 12ga Entry Gun for "LE only" - but they're from Italy, and I dunno 'bout China.

Old August 2, 2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Technosavant

There isn't much point in importing el cheapo Chinese shotguns. If you are willing to pay the $200 tax, then you aren't shopping $150 shotguns.
Old August 2, 2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Dragon55

Are There Laws About Shotgun Lengths?

Apparently not. Unless 3" is the minimum..... Taurus Judge?????
Old August 2, 2009, 03:54 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The taurus is not a shotgun. It is a pistol capable of also firing the .410.
contender had a 12 gauge barrel for their pistol frames but it was dropped due to it being a SBS and not available without jumping thru the poodle hoops. I think that is why they stopped making it IIRC.
Brent
Old August 2, 2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Hkmp5sd

hotdogs said it first.

NRA Life Member
Old August 2, 2009, 03:57 PM   #15
polkey

I believe it's just norinco thats banned from import, not all of china. And as far as the judge, it is still considered a handgun because it has a rifled barrel, albeit very shallow rifling.
Old August 2, 2009, 04:06 PM   #16
ISC

Clinton banned the importation of all firearms and ammo from China in 1994. I can't remember if it was part of the 94 "crime bill" or by executive order. I think it was the latter.
Old August 2, 2009, 04:18 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No I think it was only certain Assault weapons and with a certain amount of american components they too were legal....
Charles Daly stayed in business!
Have ya'll not been aware that 870 chinese knock offs have been around for decades?
Brent
Old August 2, 2009, 04:34 PM   #18
Hkmp5sd

Clinton made a deal with China aka Norinco that in return for stopping the importation of SKS rifles and tons of cheap 7.62x39 ammo, the US would continue to give China "Most Favored Nation" status. In addition, he would close US bases and lease the land to China, lease US ports to China and he would accept millions in illegal campaign contributions. All to "save the children."

NRA Life Member
Old August 2, 2009, 05:53 PM   #19
BillM

Not saying you could import one, but if the shorty shotgun was originally
manufactured that way and not cut down from a longer gun the tax may not be $200.

It might be considered an AOW (any other weapon) and the tax is $5. If it has a pistol grip, AOW. Buttstock? SBS and a $200
stamp.

Last edited by BillM; August 2, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:13 PM   #20
Dragon55

Too bad the Judge doesn't have a Hastings Paradox rifled barrel. Then by a quirk it would be a shotgun. That is if we are going to continue to call slug guns with this feature shotguns.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:24 AM   #21
dogtown tom

Quote:
Hkmp5sd Clinton made a deal with China aka Norinco that in return for stopping the importation of SKS rifles and tons of cheap 7.62x39 ammo, the US would continue to give China "Most Favored Nation" status. In addition, he would close US bases and lease the land to China, lease US ports to China and he would accept millions in illegal campaign contributions. All to "save the children."
Whut?
What U.S. bases were closed and then leased to China?
What U.S. ports were leased to China?

Answer none.
Makes the rest of your off-topic post look less than credible.
While I despise Bill Clinton, I also can't stand tin foil hat conspiracy theorists hijacking a thread.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old August 3, 2009, 10:31 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is the story... I do not know if it went thru as I ain't in the mood to read the story....
https://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/393
Quote:
Publication Date: June 1998

Publisher: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service

Topic: Government (Internal security)

Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10207/393

Coverage: California; China

Abstract:

At issue is a proposal by the City of Long Beach, California, to build a container terminal at the site of a closed naval station and a lease (now canceled) for the terminal to be operated by China Ocean Shipping Company (COSCO). COSCO is a commercial shipping company owned by China. The proposed expansion of COSCO's facilities at the Port of Long Beach has raised issues concerning smuggling of guns by Chinese defense-related companies, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, intelligence collection, and access to U.S. and Panamanian ports. In response, senior Administration officials have written that COSCO's use of a terminal to be built on former Naval property would not adversely affect national security. Meanwhile, a lawsuit to block construction of the terminal (not the lease with COSCO) has resulted in cancellation of the lease and delays in construction. The Navy completed its environmental impact report on May 26, 1998, which approved Long Beach's reuse plan. Some in Congress have raised national security concerns about this proposed lease. Other Members say that, based on intelligence briefings, the proposed lease poses no national security threats. The Defense Authorization Act for FY1998-1999 (P.L. 105-85) contains a compromise in Section 2826 that prohibits the Navy to convey the closed naval station to COSCO but allows the President to waive the ban. Current Congressional proposals by Rep. Hunter and Sen. Inhofe to the Defense Authorization Act for FY 1999 (H.R. 3616, S. 2057) would remove the waiver authority.
Not all spooky tales are tin foil hat conspiracy theorist generated
Your apology is awaited...
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 10:43 AM   #23
GringoGrande

USA still gets China firearm imports. Jing, mfg in China still has shotguns (pumps, dbls, O/U) coming to the USA, also some M1A's are made in China, there is a remake of the win97 hammer pump shotgun here from China. I believe what Clinton tried to do and failed to get passed was stem the import of China made SKS, Mak, Mal, AK47 and AK74 type firearms.

He was sucessful however in stemming the import of China Made NFA weapons after 1997. So Short Barreled SG and AOW from China are not allowed to be imported. There may have been a waiver made here and there, but is not standard practice.

Last edited by GringoGrande; August 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:46 AM   #24
dogtown tom

Hogdogs,

Read what you posted.

That was a proposal by the City of Long Beach (NOT the US .gov) for a PREVIOUSLY closed naval station.

It's completely unfounded to say that Clinton closed the naval station in order to lease it to the Chinese.

I'll gladly apologise if I am in error. So far I'm not.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old August 3, 2009, 10:52 AM   #25
GringoGrande

Dogtown........ High Five on giving the trans discounts to LE, MIL and TEACHERS.... fantastic, just simply fantastic.