The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
indigo-357

Jig for Grips?

Hi,

Considering fashioning my own grips for a New Vaquero. Does anyone sell a jig, or will I be eyeballing this?

Thanks,

Mike
Old August 1, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2
James K
Staff

I don't know of anyone who sells a jig for that purpose or if any exist outside the Ruger factory and maybe a few custom grip makers. At one time, you could buy semi-finished grips for a variety of guns, but I haven't seen any for a while and none for that gun turn up on net searches I did.

Dixie Gun Works sells unfinished one piece grips for the Colt 1851 frame, but you can't use a one-piece; you would have to cut them and I don't know if they would fit though they are plenty big. You might try though, if you want walnut, they are only $5 or so.

In other words, sounds like you need some material (whatever you want to use), some basic tools, and a bit of luck.

Jim

Last edited by James K; August 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:16 AM   #3
PetahW

FWIW, did you know that the NV gripframe is the same size/shape as the oler Ruger XR-3 gripframe, with the only difference being the position of the locator pin (and it's hole in the grip) - and that NV grips need to be relieved about 1/16" deep over a square area about 3/4"x1" inside each panel for the internal lock ?

Also, did you know that Ruger is now offering custom NV Rosewood, checkered Rosewood, & Sim Ivory grips for about $50 +/- ?

http://shopruger.com/New-Vaquero-Che...uctinfo/84214/

I put a set of the checkered Rosewood on my cased NV: