Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 31, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
stonesfan08

DA or SA

DA or SA? and why?
Old July 31, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
jimbob86

SA.

Because I can't hit as well DA, and only solid hits count.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old July 31, 2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Quentin2

DA and SA for me.
Old July 31, 2009, 07:15 PM   #4
KyJim

Quote:
SA because the best pistols come in that action: Browning Hi-Power and 1911A1.
But we're in the revolver section.

If you mean which pistol to buy, a DA or SA, I would go DA most of the time because you do have the option shooting SA. If you mean, do I shoot single action mode or double action mode, that depends. For 15 yards and less, it's mostly double action because these are usually defense conditions. For longer distances, it is usually single action for greater accuracy and, hopefully, less haste.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 31, 2009, 07:42 PM   #5
ChicagoTex

Obviously the answer somewhat depends on the application:

For self-defense against 2-legged predators, I think DA is definetely the way to go, the flexibility of being able to just pull and fire is too valuable to ignore.

For self-defense against creatures in the wild the DA component is less crucial, as most animals you encounter will not surprise-assault you. For this application, I think either one is fine.

For hunting, where YOU have the advantage, I'd prioritize trigger quality in my decision towards DA or SA, since I would fire both in the single-action mode - I'd simply seek out the revolver that offered up the trigger that most suited me when firing single action.

For range work, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Here again, trigger quality is a top priority. I must admit, however, I find the loading/unloading process much quicker and easier with swing-out cylinders on DA revolvers.

In the objective sense: I don't think you can make much of an argument for SA revolvers being superior to DA revolvers. However, there's a "taste" element to be considered: SA revolvers grip, handle, balance, and load differently and I think if they suit/appeal to you, there's no reason not to choose them (except in the aforementioned personal defense from human attackers scenario).
Old July 31, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
22-rimfire

I prefer DA revolvers. I pretty much agree with ChicagoTex's response. I shoot primarily single action at the range. If I am shooting a close target, I might practice DA, otherwise I lean toward careful single action shooting in a DA revolver. I prefer the loading and unloading of the DA revolvers with the swing out cylinder.
Old July 31, 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
LHB1

I prefer DA revolvers (S&W) fired in SA mode: better trigger pull. DA revolvers are also easier/quicker for me to reload.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Jim March

SA wheelguns still have their place, and still have some advantages over DA revolvers. Let me stop here and note that my comments are about "Colt SAA" pattern revolvers and their cousins/descendants including the Ruger SAs.

* Recoil control: esp. one-handed, the various "plowhandle types" are ergonomically more correct for most shooters. The "roll in the hand" trick lets you control big power in a lighter gun, esp. shooting one-handed.

* Accuracy: fixed-in-place cylinders are more accurately aligned with the barrel than swing-out cylinders. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable. (Of course, this assumes modern-style sights either factory or retrofitted to get the full benefit of an accurate gun.)

* Compact power: the frame of an SA is more "graceful" because you don't have that hinge at the lower front of the frame for the crane.

* Speed on the first shot: the SA still dominates.

* Toughness!!! In a recent incident in Richmond Virginia, a guy packing an 1875 Remington clone in 45LC engaged a goblin armed with a modern DA revolver who was already in the process of trying to kill the clerk in a grocery store. He got off a fast first shot and hit with it, then dove behind decent cover (a plastic barrel full of ice and drinks). On hitting the floor he broke the trigger of his cheap Italian replica. He was able to stay in the fight by slip-hammering: holding the hammer back with his thumb and releasing it to fire. He hit with two of his next three shots, ended up killing the goblin and stopped the goblin from hurting anyone else. At least one or two of the good guy's shots were rushed because the goblin was about to kill a bystander, so under those conditions three hits with four shots is superb. This questionable quality gun stayed in action despite damage that would have turned anything modern into a doorstop due to it's "primitive" design.

A good single action's internal parts are usually simpler and tougher than anything modern, so long as they use coil springs instead of flat.

They also have a huge downside: the reload speed. They're also lacking in shot-to-shot speed unless you're very good, however once you get into big power levels (up around the hottest 357s made, or beyond) that actually evens out. But for tasks that only need six shots, and most of the time that includes street defense, and always includes hunting, they still work and still have their share of advantages.

Full disclosure in case anybody doesn't know it yet: my daily-carry-without-fail piece in Tucson AZ is a Ruger New Vaquero in 357, loaded with the hottest stuff I can lay mitts on. At the moment it's Doubletap 125 Gold Dots loaded "full house".
Old July 31, 2009, 08:28 PM   #9
bluetopper

I just hate the plow handle grips the SA revolvers have. Very uncomfortable for me. Wide at the bottom narrow at the top. I hate it!
If it weren't for that I'd shoot a SA soooo much more.

Therefore I'm a DA man.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:31 PM   #10
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I just hate the plow handle grips the SA revolvers have. Very uncomfortable for me. Wide at the bottom narrow at the top. I hate it!
If it weren't for that I'd shoot a SA soooo much more.
Ever try a Bisley? Or even an Open-Top?
Old July 31, 2009, 10:56 PM   #11
PX4

I prefer single action pistols (wheel guns and autos).
Old August 1, 2009, 12:29 AM   #12
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I prefer single action pistols (wheel guns and autos).
With a name like PX4, that doesn't make a lot of sense. What gives?
Old August 1, 2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Buzzcook

The main reason I prefer DA, is loading the DA is easier quicker.
Old August 1, 2009, 01:59 AM   #14
azredhawk44

I'm drooling over a Uberti Bird's Head right now as my first "real" SAA. I've got an 1851 Navy .36 cap'n'ball, but it ain't the same by a long shot.

I see Jim's point on speed of draw and svelte concealable package. They ARE slimmer than a comparable DA 6-shot .44 or .45 which would be a Redhawk or N-frame Smith. Get rid of that DA lockwork and there's a lot of unnecessary frame.

Jim, may I assume you carry cross-draw in your fanny pack? I can't imagine trying to draw and cock speedily from a high and tight IWB strongside holster.

So far, I've been a DA man through-and-through. Always willing to learn something new, though.
Old August 1, 2009, 02:21 AM   #15
Poseidon28

Uberti?

Didn't I read something about one breaking sometime important recently???

Last time I priced one they were WAY over priced...
Old August 1, 2009, 02:24 AM   #16
riggins_83

I prefer single action. Only revolver I ever carry is a Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a Hogue monogrip or an older Bisley Super Blackhawk. After practicing a lot cocking the hammer with the other hand while drawing quickly I'm way more accurate this way than I would be with a double action.

On the other hand if I was carrying a revolver for SD I'd prefer double action.

It depends a lot on the weight of the trigger, how steady the shooter is, etc etc.
Old August 1, 2009, 04:18 AM   #17
shortwave

For me its SA for hunting and DA for everything else.
Old August 1, 2009, 04:57 AM   #18
Jim March

Quote:
Jim, may I assume you carry cross-draw in your fanny pack?
Yup. I've also converted the pack to a single snap (ditching the zipper). And with my tube sight setup, there's no "front sight hangup" issue.

Quote:
Didn't I read something about one breaking sometime important recently???
Not exactly. We know of a replica Remington 1875 that suffered trigger damage in mid-fight recently. The gun was kept in operation by slip-hammering. Could have been a deformed (brass?) trigger guard, trigger broke halfway off or a broke trigger return spring.

We know it was Italian because that's the only source of such replicas...but it could have been a Pietta, older Uberti (pre-Beretta-buyout), Armi San Marco, etc. ASM were generally the worst, they're defunct. Armi Chiappa is the newest Italian replica house, at least in imported spaghetti western stuff, and they're quite good but haven't made an 1875 Remmie that I know of.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:10 AM   #19
Bismarck357

DA without qeastion. Most folks whould disagree with this,but over time with practice DA will greatly improve your accuracy;though trainning and repetition are important aspects as well. Yes, I'll admit that SA can be more accurate;but some scumbag jumpin' you on a dark street most likely will not be content waiting while you thumb back the hammer in order to shoot him more accuretly. In real life situations you have on average 1.5-2 seconds to react to an attack,firing DA in 2 to 3 round bursts is the best chance you have to win the encounter. So when you practice, consentrait on rapid DA firing and marksmenship.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:57 AM   #20
hoytinak

I only own one revolver (GP100) and I actually shoot it better in DA than in SA.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:21 AM   #21
CraigC

Quote:
We know it was Italian because that's the only source of such replicas.
Not exactly. Hartford Armory, if still in business, produced high quality replicas of the Remington cartridge guns that were made entirely in the US. Not unlike USFA. In fact, they were also chambered in .44Mag and factory rated for .45Colt +P. Not likely that that's what the shooter used but they are out there.

While I own several S&W's and a .480 Super Redhawk, I use single actions for pretty much every purpose. From plinking to hunting, concealed carry and general purpose field use. When you spend as much time with them as I do, it's the natural choice. And no, I don't plan on anybody "waiting" for me to thumb the hammer back. The hammer comes back as the sixgun clears leather. No other handgun type is faster from leather to the first shot.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:10 AM   #22
Jim March

Quote:
Not exactly. Hartford Armory, if still in business, produced high quality replicas of the Remington cartridge guns that were made entirely in the US.
Huh. I wasn't aware Hartford had actually started production. But it sure looks like it, complete with Taylor's as a distributor and a claim Turnbull is doing finishing:

http://www.hartfordarmory.com/remmies.htm

...'cept Taylor's site doesn't list 'em:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com

So God only knows if any are floating around. Odds are strongly in favor of it being Italian.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:41 AM   #23
azredhawk44

Bismarck: I'm in the same boat regarding DA in nasty, high tension snap reaction situations and since I've begun to practice DA defensive revolver shooting rather than short-changing myself with a DA revolver by shooting it SA only for practice, I've noticed a marked improvement in my shooting.

After the initial discomfort as my hand grew stronger, I found I could actually shoot more accurately DA than I could SA.

It also taught me a LOT about grip strength, hand positioning and consistency in order to make repeatable shots on target.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:05 AM   #24
CraigC

Quote:
Odds are strongly in favor of it being Italian.
Agreed! I've seen very little reference to the Hartfords outside of Taffin's writings. Don't know if they're in production or not.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:14 AM   #25
gun nut

I prefer DA. You can fire quickly if you need to, easy to load and unload, and can be fired SA if so desired.