The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 2009, 02:50 PM   #26
davlandrum

I have a bunch (as most hunter's do). The only thing I don't like about folders is trying to get the goo out of it after I am done. I have the same one as Hawg Haggen and have been happy with it.

I am not sure what they run now, but I highly reccomend the Lansky sharpening system. I have had mine for 20 years (just surprised me when I thought about that!). It deployed with me to wonderful places in the Army and goes to every hunting camp. Everyone who has used it is amazed how easy it is. Comes in a nice little plastic carry box that keeps it all together. Back then, I think I spent $20 for it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 10, 2009, 06:03 PM   #27
shortwave

I`m a fan of older Bucks(pre 1975) but not later bucks. Seems as though the quality of the steel went downhill. My favorite is an old late 60`s, 110 model I`ve carried for years. Drawback is the handle gets slippery when wet but wearing surgical glove helps. Second fav. would be the Gerber Gator. Descent steel with an excellent rubber handle. If you want to go real cheap, get you a linolium knife. Some years ago, friends of mine worked at a place called 'Columbus Coated Fabrics'. They used to bring them to me to sharpen(pain in the butt),make different handles and sheaths. The knives would hold an edge forever. Still have a few I use every year. Also, I`ll second the Lansky sharpening system. At around $25 they`re hard to beat.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:26 PM   #28
taylorce1

I usually carry a couple of knives the first is a Buck Lite folder that I've had for several years. Good reliable knife that sharpens fairly easily, and isn't overly large. The other knife I carry is a Helle Odel cost me $80 but it is by far the best fixed bladed knife that I've owned. Don't know if it is the triple laminated steel, but she sure holds an edge and is easy to sharpen.

HE-15.gif
Old August 10, 2009, 09:57 PM   #29
jhgreasemonkey

I was given one of these about 10 years ago and have never had a reason to replace it. Its just a $25 dollar shrade with a no slip handle and gut hook. It works great and has lasted well considering it's price.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:08 PM   #30
wyobohunter

Case trapper is great for critters ranging in size from bunny to Elk. Plus it's made in the U.S.A.
Old August 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #31
vikingextreme93

three words, buck alpha hunter...good quality knife at a good price I would recomend the 420hc bladed models as they are far more affordable and its one of the more practical designs out there for a fixed blade hunter. I like the buck special or "119" but its not a great hunting design as its a little too big IMO. lots of options and its more about what design you like..me personally I would expand your budget and look for something with a nice flat grind or a high hollow grind with a droppoint but thats just me. Also just because its a name brand doesnt mean it is a quality tool. do reserch before buying
Old August 10, 2009, 11:24 PM   #32
vikingextreme93

oh and even though I am not a big BUCK advocate I would strongly suggest a Gen 5 skinner or Vanguard..best buys for hunting knives IMO.
Old August 12, 2009, 09:22 AM   #33
JKump

I have had good luck with the Gerber Profile™ - Fine Edge - Drop Point - Fixed Blade. Search the Geber site you should find it with out problems. You can get one at Wal mart for around $25 dollars.

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=934

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old August 12, 2009, 04:43 PM   #34
2damnold4this

I like the mora or puukko style knife for hunting

The Sportsman's Guide has them cheap:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...e.aspx?a=78455

If you want something a little fancier, a Helle Fjellkniven is nice.
Old August 12, 2009, 05:46 PM   #35
Trust

For under $50 you can not go wrong with the Buck 110
Old August 12, 2009, 06:54 PM   #36
medicinemanwy

I have had a buck for 35 years.

I broke the tip on one, they replaced it free of charge

I carey it every day,

One thing I would recomend is get a small steel, a few swipes on that steel and its rasor sharp.
Old August 12, 2009, 06:57 PM   #37
flyguyskt

personally i believe a good knife is as important as a good gun...

Benchmade, case, gerber all make good knives. i have an older case knife that is my hunting companion. blaze orange handle, clip point, skinning point and drop point, plus saw blade, all interchangeable and in one handy size belt pouch.

dont get anything chinese...soft steel

http://www.xxcutlery.com/detail.aspx?ID=62 get it all in one! worth EVERY penny. ive been using mine for 15 years hit em on a diamond stone and steel and shave...honestly one of the only knives i have ever purchased that was RAZOR sharp out of the boxs...i think it even had a warning label about how sharp it is from the factory!!!

Last edited by flyguyskt; August 12, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old August 25, 2009, 09:21 PM   #38
Jack O'Conner

This style is still built by many companies. 5.25" closed position - it's a large folder. I've been using this knife for many years.

Marble's will sell you one for less than $35. Schrade, Rough Rider, and Boker make them, too.

This COLD STEEL fixed blade copies the Scandinavian style quite nicely. It's very light but high quality steel with super sharp edge right out of the box. I bought mine on eBay for less than $25.

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old August 25, 2009, 11:14 PM   #39
LateNightFlight

Buck knives are brittle; that's the only knife where I've broken the blade in half. But, for some reason, I don't seem to lose them as easily. Or rather, I lose them, but I find them, sometimes in miraculous ways. Right now, I have a Buck 186... Or does that say 188? Even with reading glasses I can't tell. What I liked about it is that I can easily flick it open with one hand. That's not so important for a hunter, but it comes in handy on a farm.

As others have said, you don't need a big knife for field dressing. On numerous occasions, I've either forgotten a knife, or forgotten to sharpen it after ruining an edge, but I always have this little 2" Kershaw pocket knife that I've had for over 30 years. It's a little small to easily hang on to, but it is adequate for field dressing or skinning. I like the Kershaw brand for sure; my little Kershaw has certainly been durable.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:47 PM   #40
Waterengineer

Buck 110, +1. Mine is at least 31 years old.

Also, on page one is a Schrader Old Tymer with a zipper hook.

I'm not a hook guy - I think they get in the way, but that is just me.

I have a similar knife without the hook. It's a great knife if you want a non-folder.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:54 AM   #41
Coptalker

Browning Wind River

I've carried a Buck 119 for years. Recently, though, I've left it in camp in favor of my Browning Wind River Skinner. A bit smaller, better grip and seems to be easier to put an edge on.

http://www.knifeworks.com/browseprod...ver-Knife.html

As mentioned above, there's always a Wyoming knife in my pack as well. And the Wyoming saw.