The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 30, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Refinish S&W M&P Model 10

All,

I recently acquired my grandfathers old Model 10. It locks up tight and functions fine. I just can't stand to see my grandfathers revolver in this shape. Basically it was put away in one of those foam black boxes for years. Not much rust at all but all of the blueing is just about gone.

I will try to get pictures of it, but do you think this can be refinished? If so should I send it back to S&W or 3rd party and if a 3rd party whom would you recommend?

By the way it wasn't me that stored this revolver in this box for years without ever looking at it.
Old July 30, 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
FlyFish

Virtually any gun can be reblued, with the results depending largely on how bad shape it's in now. Minor and even moderate rust damage, as well as physical dings and scratches, can be buffed out and essentially disappear, but it may not be possible to completely remove major pitting or other damage.

Based on your description, it sounds like your grandad's Model 10 can be restored to pretty much what it looked like when it left the factory. It will likely cost you nearly what the gun is worth (to someone else, that is - because of its history I assume it's priceless for you). Refinishing will also pretty much destroy any collector value, which is likely not a problem for you, and will also I believe take away a little of that intangible "my grandad's gun" aura, which may also not be a problem for you.

Smith and Wesson do a very good job for a fair price. Other than that, many gunsmiths will do it and, like anything else, there are craftsmen and there are hacks. Most folks who know about these things give Ford's very high marks, but they're not cheap (nor should they be).
Old July 30, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Buzzcook

There are several re-bluing/re-finishing threads here. Search the forum and you'll find lots of recommendations on where to send your gun.

There are also do it your self bluing kits, but I've never seen one that looks professional.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:43 PM   #4
publius

Get it done right, I would send it to Smith but there are some other very good refinishers out there.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Hammer It

Hello Mr. Revolver Guy
I Highly Recommend Ford's in Florida. I have used them eExtensivly for many years and have never been anything but very Pleased with their work. Blued or Nickel they are the best out there Period. Hammer It

Ford's Refinishing Master Bluing Job

Before

After

High Polished Nickel

Old July 31, 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Elvishead

I'd like to see a photo, but my first reaction is no. But who knows? Let's see some photo's. Some things are best left "as is.", maybe just a good cleaning.