The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 27, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

New Vaquero Cylinder Pin?

I need your help. I have a new vaquero and when I fire it, the cylinder pin (The part that holds the cylinder in the frame and which the cylinder rotates on) comes loose. Actually seems to "Walk" out of the revolver. I am wondering if I can tighten the base pin latch body (Plunger to release cylinder pin) in order to keep the blasted thing in place.

What do you suggest?

I am shooting 7.0 gr on Universal powder, pushing a 250 grain LFlat bullet. This is definitely not a hot load.

I really do not want to send the gun back to Ruger to have them fix it because I am having relatives from out of state coming down in two weeks and we are going to do some shooting.
Old July 27, 2009, 08:37 PM   #2
BobCat45

Had the same problem with my old Vaquero .357 mag. Put in one of these http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...MENT_BASE_PINS and the problem was fixed.

I recall the name as "Bell Mountain" but Brownells has "Belt Mountain" - probably they are the same and my memory is faulty.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Andrew

http://www.bayourifles.org
TinyURL.com/qgdojvh
Old July 28, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

Thanks! Just order one a few minutes ago. I hope this works.

But I am still curious as to the release button... Can it be further tightened to ensure the pin stays in place, or is this something a qualified gun smith should do?
Old July 28, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Belt Mountain

They work great. Just be sure to get the one that has the set screw and have your 'smith install. Put one on my 4 Rugers and no more base pin jump.
Old July 28, 2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
I am still curious as to the release button... Can it be further tightened to ensure the pin stays in place
You cannot tighten it further, but you can replace the spring to make it hold tighter.
Taylor Machine
Old July 30, 2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Uncle Buck

UPDATE:

I ordered the part for my New Vaquero from Brownells two days ago. I was told to expect it in about a week. I received it today.
Very simple to put on the revolver. I took it out and fired 40 rounds through the gun and it stayed in place! YEAH!
I would highly recommend Brownells (www.brownells.com or give them a call at 1-800-741-0015) to anyone who needed parts or accessories.
Old July 30, 2009, 09:07 PM   #7
BobCat45

Glad it worked! And that it got there fast. Brownells has always done right by me; do not be surprised if a copy of their catalog shows up someday, now that you are in their "system". It is a real grin.

Regards,
Andrew

http://www.bayourifles.org
TinyURL.com/qgdojvh