The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 26, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
greyson97

AR-15 Cleaning Question: Bore Snake

if you do it every time you come back from the range
and only shoot like 40-80 rounds at the range

is spraying CLP into the bore chamber area and barrel, and then running a bore snake through the barrel 3-4 times sufficient for the barrel part of the cleaning?

i still take apart the bolt carrier assembly and clean the parts individually with clp or hoppes solvent and a rag, but i cant stand cleaning the ar-15 barrel with a cleaning rod and brush attachment, and then pushing patches through it.

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old July 26, 2009, 07:41 PM   #2
sneaky pete

only when using MOLY

old Sneaky Pete here: As I've been using MOLY in my bore and only shooting MOLY projetiles--I don't have to worry about JACKET fouling and then The Bore-Snake is an excellent choice. I apply KROIL to the portion of the Snake before the bristles and pull it thru 2wice to get out the carbon/powder fouling. Clean out the chamber, run 2>4 dry patches thru and then apply my MOLY bore swab in prep for the next match. Been doing this for about 8>10 yearswith NO problems. THANX--SNEAKY
Old July 26, 2009, 07:58 PM   #3
greyson97

oh, i should mention, im shooting wolf JHP steel case through an Colt hbar ar-15

yeah i know.....

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old July 26, 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
DaveInPA

I like the snake for a quick cleaning at the range. But once I get the rifle home I use a rod, a brush, and patches.

Also, you should really have a chamber brush, a chamber mop, and some of those felt stars to clean the chamber and locking lug recess.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Bwana4

same

I do the same as Grayson, although I run a copper cleaning solvent through it on a patch, until clean (JB Bore cleaner), then use the bore snake to finish.
Old September 3, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6
gngtools

gotta go with the brush and rod crowd on this one...
Old September 3, 2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Dave R

Bore snake will remove powder fouling, but not copper fouling. If you're shooting copper jacketed bullets at .223 velocities, you're going to have copper fouling, and you'll have to use rod & brush (or foaming bore cleaner) to remove it. Maybe not every time, but periodically.