The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2009, 08:48 PM   #1
paleod

Luger problem

I have a DWM luger with a problem. The gun is a shooter which does not shoot. The gun will not cock. I have swapped out the trigger bar and spring assembly with other parts I have, yet the problem persists. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
w_houle

The gun isn't cocking? How are you making sure the firing pin isn't staying to the rear?
Old July 24, 2009, 08:55 PM   #3
James K
Staff

I assume you mean the gun can't be cocked even when loaded manually, and that it has worked in the past. If that is true, the obvious possibility is that the firing pin cocking projection is broken or worn, or that the sear is broken or worn.

If the gun won't recock after being fired, the most common cause is ammo that is too weak to bring the breechblock back far enough.

If the gun is new to you and has never worked for you, there is the possibility that the firing pin, firing pin spring, sear or all three are missing or broken.

Jim
Old July 24, 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
paleod

Basically the gun does not "click" when the trigger is pulled after cocking. The slide is free and smooth, just does not cock back the pin. The toggle works fine in another gun so I think that would rule out the firing pin. I figure it must be something else.
Old July 24, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
w_houle

Quote:
Basically the gun does not "click" when the trigger is pulled after cocking. The slide is free and smooth, just does not cock back the pin. The toggle works fine in another gun so I think that would rule out the firing pin. I figure it must be something else
Take the upper half off the lower half. Make sure the gun is empty of ammunition. With the the bolt closed and the upper together; press the sear, it should fire. It could just be that plunger(on the sear) is stuck.
http://e-gunparts.com/productschem.a...odel=3230zP-08
press part #8
Part#10 is most likely stuck

Last edited by w_houle; July 24, 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: url+ fun fact
Old July 24, 2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Quentin2

w_houle is right on about checking the top half of the Luger separately (so you can see what's going on). If you lift up on the toggle and pull back slightly then push it back forward the sear should "cock" the action and pressing the trigger bar/sear should release the firing pin. A functioning Luger will actually fire a round this way (with no frame attached). If yours won't cock you should be able to see what's wrong.

Of course you have experience with Lugers so already know most of this. Kind of brainstorming and trying to eliminate the frame and sideplate as issues.

Last edited by Quentin2; July 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old July 25, 2009, 05:26 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Some models of Luger have a sear safety

Which is supposed to prevent the sear from firing the gun with the sideplate removed. This was done due to German police concerns about the possibility of the gun firing during disassembly. (info from the Standard Catalogue of Luger {Davis, 2006}).

It might be, if your gun has this device, that it is malfunctioning somehow, causing your problem?
Old July 25, 2009, 10:44 AM   #8
w_houle

Don't know if the part is visible on this that 44 AMP is talking about, but at least it's eye candy
http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com...8-magsaf8w.jpg
and page where found http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/923dwmpol18.htm
Edit: Found a pic that might be what 44 AMP is talking about.
landofborchardt
com/images/article/pl6.jpg (Edit url)
from here http://www.landofborchardt.com/Polic...le.html#modimg

Last edited by w_houle; July 25, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old July 25, 2009, 05:34 PM   #9
paleod

OK, the top section of the gun will not cock. Since the trigger block has been replaced is everyone thinking that it is the firing pin housing not catching the sear?
Old July 25, 2009, 05:44 PM   #10
w_houle

Quote:
is everyone thinking that it is the firing pin housing not catching the sear?
It's either the firing pin, or sear.
Please post pic of firing pin.
Old July 25, 2009, 09:10 PM   #11
paleod

Nope I was wrong the gun is cocking. The side plate is worn and is not pushing on the sear hard enough. Thanks for the input everyone. Now I just need to find a replacement plate and probably the plate pin too.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Quentin2

If the side plate doesn't slop around you might just need to put a new trigger lever in the side plate. I've even heard of people bending the lever slightly to contact the plunger better. I've wondered about that though, if it's hardened that might not be a good idea. Anyway, good luck getting it fixed.

So right now you have a single shot zip gun!