The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1
foxfx

Blue Dot in 243 Concerns

I have load for my 223 that I totally fell in love with. CCI 400 Primer, 10.5 gr Blue Dot, with a 45 Sierra SP. I have worked up my loads very cautiously. I weight each of my charges and double check the powder level with a small marked dowel rod.

I am planning on working out a reduced load for a 243 winchester. I have some 55 gr Sierra BlitzKing bullets that I would like to have leaving my barrel at about 2400 fps.. I am planning on using Alliant Blue Dot for my powder. According to this data, my powder charge should be about 13 grains.

My Concern: I recently was reading a forum post where some guy giving his thoughts on the dangers of reduced loads. He said that he believes there is a significant risk of the primer moving the bullet into the lans before enough pressure has built up. The bullet would then stall creating a massive pressure spike. He did mention that powders with slower burn rates would be more risky than fast powders. I was fully aware that for reduced loads it it better to move toward faster powders so that the pressure levels are still high enough to seal the case and not get a bullet stuck into the lans. There has been much debate why a certain load exploded someone's rifle. Unfortunately it is hard to figure out exactly what happened when you are looking at a blown up rifle. I believe double charges and stuck bullets are the biggest reasons for blown rifles.

Question: When using a fast powder like Blue Dot, is this issue of a primer moving the bullet before the pressure can build something that I should worry about?

Question: If I were to hold the charge against the flash hole, by using a dacron filler, would this reduce the risk of the bullet being moved by the primer before the appropriate pressure has built? And yes I am aware that any filler will increase pressure.... start low work up.

Here are some links that got me into using Blue Dot for reduced loads
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...Number=3049089
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/bee.php
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.php
http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Blue%20Dot.htm
Old July 20, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2
AlaskaMike

Quote:
Question: When using a fast powder like Blue Dot, is this issue of a primer moving the bullet before the pressure can build something that I should worry about?
I'd say no.

Quote:
Question: If I were to hold the charge against the flash hole, by using a dacron filler, would this reduce the risk of the bullet being moved by the primer before the appropriate pressure has built? And yes I am aware that any filler will increase pressure.... start low work up.
Blue Dot is easy to light, so I wouldn't think you'd need any filler at all. You might give it a try both ways though and see what works better.

The danger of a double charge is far more important in my opinion. Your method of using a marked dowel is a wonderful idea.

Mike
Old July 20, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Hope this helps:

Blue Dot used in a 243 Winchester Varmint w/26" barrel

New Remington cases and Federal 210 primers

55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip OAL: 67.50 mm

8 grs: 1785 fps
9 grs: 1927 fps
10 grs: 2096 fps
11 grs: 2128 fps
12 grs: 2241 fps
13 grs: 2381 fps
14 grs: 2525 fps
15 grs: 2633 fps
16 grs: 2750 fps
17 grs: 2898 fps
18 grs: 2979 fps
19 grs: 3078 fps
20 grs: 3182 fps
21 grs: 3285 fps
22 grs: 3342 fps
23 grs: 3471 fps
24 grs: 3555 fps

Won't be the same for your gun but its in the ball park.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--