The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 23, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
.300 Weatherby Mag

Rem 700 Decisions.. What to do??

Well it's come to that point... I have given up on trying to get my new remington 700 CDL .243 win to shoot with the factory barrel... The accuracy is 6 inches at best at 100 yards off bags.... Gone through everything trying to find a reason that she won't shoot... Now should I go for another .243 barrel or make her into a .260 rem or 7mm-08?? I'm thinking of something for deer and yotes and wind is almost always an issue...
Old July 23, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Fat White Boy

What? 6 inches at 100 yards? A .243? Something ain't right. My son's 700 and mine, both in .308, shot tight groups right out of the box...A .243 is inherently accurate. Does everyone who shoots it have the same trouble?
Old July 23, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Swampghost

That seems way out of line. I have 3 of them (JIC something goes wrong). Check the torque on the reciever screws first. The stock has two little 'buttons' at the front of the stock, eliminating them makes free floating the bbl. a breeze I'm told.

Mine shoot sub MOA and one is F class. All factory models.
Old July 23, 2009, 11:01 PM   #4
emcon5

It is new (as in, under warranty new) or new to you? If it is brand new, let Remington fix it, because something clearly isn't right.

If you are going to rebarrel it, Either of those would be fine for what you are using it for, the 6.5 shoots flatter, and equal in the wind (maybe a little better depending on the bullet).
Old July 23, 2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Savage99

The Rem. 700 design is not ideal for hunting. Consider a rifle that has a safety that locks the firing pin and not just the trigger and is also three position and not only two like the 700.

The Rem. has a weak extractor thats just tiny spring, a brazed on bolt handle also.

Get a better gun. The M70's, M77's and Kimbers don't have these design problems.

Old July 23, 2009, 11:10 PM   #6
rantingredneck

Check the torque on the action screws (if you haven't already). Remington 700's are pressure bedded and without properly torqued screws they'll throw nasty groups.

Or you could do like Swampghost suggested, and I have personally done with my .243, and free float the barrel.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 23, 2009, 11:43 PM   #7
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampghost
The stock has two little 'buttons' at the front of the stock, eliminating them makes free floating the bbl. a breeze I'm told.
Does the 700 CDL have the wood stock? If so, be really careful with that, I have a 700 BDL that had the pressure point at the front of the stock snug to the barrel. When I removed it, the stock flexed enough to make it a waste of time. Ended up swapping it to a Hogue stock.

Even with the pressure point mine shot MOA or better, so I really doubt that is the problem.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:24 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
What? 6 inches at 100 yards? A .243? Something ain't right. My son's 700 and mine, both in .308, shot tight groups right out of the box...A .243 is inherently accurate. Does everyone who shoots it have the same trouble?
Yep... Same results... With ammo it doesn't like it won't stay in the black at 100 yards......:barf: Even off my sinclair B/R rest... My 7lb model 70 in .300 weatherby will produce 1.5 inch groups at this distance with this setup..

Quote:
It is new (as in, under warranty new) or new to you? If it is brand new, let Remington fix it, because something clearly isn't right.
Factory new... Because the rifle functions and is safe... I'm pretty much SOL...

Quote:
The Rem. 700 design is not ideal for hunting. Consider a rifle that has a safety that locks the firing pin and not just the trigger and is also three position and not only two like the 700.

The Rem. has a weak extractor thats just tiny spring, a brazed on bolt handle also.

Get a better gun. The M70's, M77's and Kimbers don't have these design problems
This is the only push feed hunting rifle I own... With the exception of a couple of target rifles everything else is a mauser design of some sort....
Old July 24, 2009, 12:50 AM   #9
emcon5

Quote:
Factory new... Because the rifle functions and is safe... I'm pretty much SOL...
Remington told you that? Wow.

On edit: You sure it isn't the scope?

Last edited by emcon5; July 24, 2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old July 24, 2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Wildalaska

Quote:

Get a better gun. The M70's, M77's and Kimbers don't have these design problems.
Yeah thats why its one of the most used hunting rifles in the world, even under the rough conditions we have in Alaska...I've seen bush Remingtons held together with duct tape that still took game.

M70s, M77s have "design problems" of their own. Kimbers plain suck.

By the way, we are the Remington service center. This year, we havent IIRC replaced a remington extractor. On the other hand, we have already fixed two broken Ruger extractors

YMMV

Wild300wbymagcallmetomorrowAlaska TM

Last edited by Wildalaska; July 24, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:26 AM   #11
GeauxTide

That's too bad. I've had four Remingtons over the years and they've shot very well, even with factory loads. If you've gone through the steps outlined above, including your scope, I'd get an ER Shaw barrel in .260. It'll cost about $200, including fitting to your action, test firing, and action match finish.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:45 AM   #12
youngoilguy

sounds like you have a bad scope. i had a nikon scoped slug gun (remington) doing the same thing. switched scopes and the gun shot great.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:49 AM   #13
jman841

+1 Alaska, My fathers friend who is well into his 70's and has hunted since he was a little boy told me that the M700 was the best hunting rifle in the world. Granted he is probably a little out of the loop in the new makes and models from different companies, however, he has used one for many years and still swears by it. His suggestion is the main reason I bought one as my first high powered rifle.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:48 AM   #14
Fremmer

Quote:

That's a bunch of hogwash. The 700 is an outstanding hunting rifle. The safety is just fine, the trigger is just fine, the extractor is just fine, and the bolt handle is just fine. What a bunch of bs.

Anyway, I'd send that Remmie back to Remington. 6" groups means something is wrong.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:19 AM   #15
thallub

Quote:
That's a bunch of hogwash. The 700 is an outstanding hunting rifle. The safety is just fine, the trigger is just fine, the extractor is just fine, and the bolt handle is just fine. What a bunch of bs.

I agree. It is all total BS.

In my gun safe are 11 Remington model 700, 721 and 722 rifles. Have owned a couple of those guns for over 50 years, all of them are at least 15 years old. I have never had a bolt handle come off nor have I ever replaced an extractor. One of my model 700 .22/250 guns has is on its 5th barrel with no extractor replacement.

I have install a few dozen scopes, rings and mounts every year on Remington 700 rifles. I also sight those guns in. Have never had a Remington 700 in any caliber that shot badly. Something is wrong with the original posters gun and it probably has to do with the way the action screws are tightened or the problem is with the scope, rings, or mounts.

I was getting more and more bad Leupold, Simmons and Weaver scope mounts and rings that were no good: The made in China stuff is total trash. I was spending 30-45 inutes with a honing bar and an alignment bar in order to get the scope in the rings straight. Got in several guns that had bent scope tubes from those made in China rings: I will not put them on a gun.

Last edited by thallub; July 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:32 AM   #16
cornbush

I agree on the BS, Remingtons are great, If you can........ throw a different scope on it and shoot a few rounds. Every single gun design will have flaws, I think I'll stick with remington and ruger, they have never let me down.

Last edited by cornbush; July 24, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old July 24, 2009, 09:06 PM   #17
fireroad

Something is going on here that a rebarrel won't fix. With accuracy that poor my money is on a broken scope. If you have acess to another scope I would start there. If that doesn't fix the problem either the stock is way too tight or way two loose . I would unscrew it an torque it back to spec. Other sources mat be an excessively fouled barrel, a really havry trigger, ora porly bedded stock. You may have to take it to a 'smith but don't loose faith, it will come around.
Old July 24, 2009, 09:18 PM   #18
.300 Weatherby Mag

I have a master smith in the family that specializes in building custom rifles on remington 700 actions... He will go over it before anything major is done... If it is the barrel, the action will be trued and all the other trick stuff will be done to it and it will get a new barrel... I have not been able to get the rifle to him yet as he lives some 500 miles away... But I have consulted him on this and have yet to find a solution... So now it's time for him to tear into it....
Old July 24, 2009, 10:44 PM   #19
bigautomatic

Mounts, rings, or optics. One or more of these is likely the problem. I don't think stock screw torque could make a rifle print groups that large, unless they were nearly falling out. And if the tube is really that bad (most factory barrels are capable of moa these days), it should be sent back.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:41 PM   #20
LateNightFlight

+++ As a betting man, my money is on an issue with the scope.

+++ If it isn't the scope, send it back. My second bet is they will make it right.
Old July 25, 2009, 12:53 AM   #21
Blackops_2

If indeed you do go through with the barrel change my vote goes to .260 remington. Thats just me im a 6.5 nut. But i think your smith will find the problem. Unless it's just 1 in a million remingtons that just don't shoot, i think he'll find the problem.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:49 AM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...The Rem. 700 design is not ideal for hunting..." Nonsense. What do you think it's designed for? Extraction and ejection have nothing to do with accuracy. Geezuz. Give your head a shake.
"...With ammo it doesn't like it..." That's normal for any rifle. No rifle will shoot ammo it doesn't like. That's the whole point of reloading and/or trying different brands and bullet weights.
What ammo? What bullet weight? Rifling twist is for heavy bullets.
Trigger adjusted? What kind of groups are you expecting out of a stock hunting rifle? You check the barrel channel? 700's come out of the factory with a pressure point. They don't always like one. Usually shoot better floated.
"...with this setup..." What setup? You really need to provide more info than it doesn't shoot like your .300 Weatherby and the rest used.
Old July 25, 2009, 02:58 AM   #23
.300 Weatherby Mag

The best load i've found is the winchester super X with the 100 gr. powerpoints... Here's my rest...http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5326/Shooting-Rests I would do a backflip if the rifle would shoot 2 inchest at 100 yards.. The trigger is adjusted to 3 pounds and crisp... It's down from the 9 pound rough creepy mess it came with from the factory... Scope is a leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40mm... My brothers rifle, absolutely identical to this one in every respect except that the bolt is on the other side will produce 1 inch groups in my hands...

Here's a list of the specs...
http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._CDL_specs.asp

There is something very wrong if I can produce better groups shooting my 30-30 off only a front bag at 100 than this scoped rifle will do on a good day off that rest with a rear bag....

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; July 25, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old July 25, 2009, 09:12 AM   #24
Alleykat

Had a similar problem with my .243 700 VLS. I'd free-floated the barrel and bedded the recoil lug and tang. Tried lots of different loads. Next, checked the crown...looked o.k. Didn't look closely enough. About 1/2" inside the muzzle was a defect in the rifling. Had a local smith cut off the barrel right behind the defect and recrown. Rifle now will put three shots in a dime...literally.

Remington wouldn't expect you to be satisfied with 6" @ 100 yds. If you're absolutely, positively sure that it's not the scope, then it's something defective that Remington will fix.

I agree with wildalaskatheauthorityonallthings that the Remmy 700 is a fine rifle. Nothing wrong with its design for hunting. Those guys hunting Al Qaeda sure as heck ain't using Rugers or Winchesters!!!
Old July 25, 2009, 01:09 PM   #25
flyguyskt

something is wrong with the optics...has to be if all is tight...

have you taken the action out of th estock to make sure there are no rubbing points? ran a dollar bill down the barrel to see if it is floating?

my 700 bdl stainles .375 shoots in a 1.25 inch group at 200! sub moa from a 375!

my winny 243. wont shoot 100 grn nosler partitions at all. get a 4 in group at 100. but with 75 grn it will shoot a dime group at 100.

tryied any lighter bullets? some 243's just dont like 100 grn bullets