The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 22, 2009, 03:37 PM   #26
Dresden2001
Member
 
Join Date: February 9, 2007
Posts: 48
IMHO if you have a concealed handgun license you should carry your pistol on your person and not leave it in a vehicle. . . Aside from the obvious, better to have it and not need it, than need it and have it in the glove compartment or console.

I have had my car broken into once in 35 years, and that one time the crooks happened to find a J-Frame Smith under the front seat. I had left my car in front of my house, went to bed and woke up to find that half a dozen cars had been broken into along my street.

There's a reason that the bumper sticker "S(&(& Happens" is relevant. I would say that if you can carry legally, you should always carry.
Dresden2001 is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 04:35 PM   #27
Eskimo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 18, 2008
Posts: 173
Really depends on where you live/where youre going. If you don't sense danger, there's no sense in bringing it with you.
Eskimo is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 05:11 PM   #28
KLRANGL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 9, 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 958
Quote:
If you don't sense danger, there's no sense in bringing it with you.
That reasoning doesn't make sense... If you sense danger, why would you go there in the first place? Having a CCW is for those times you either don't sense danger, or sense it too late.
Bad things happen anywhere.
__________________
And it's Killer Angel... as in the book
KLRANGL is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 05:31 PM   #29
Eskimo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 18, 2008
Posts: 173
Quote:
That reasoning doesn't make sense... If you sense danger, why would you go there in the first place? Having a CCW is for those times you either don't sense danger, or sense it too late.
Bad things happen anywhere.
Correct, and bad things WILL happen to everyone, regardless of what weapon they carry or how hard they try to prepare. Having a pistol on your hip every time you go out because you think something bad may happen at some random point in your life is delusional. I even go as far as to say it's DANGEROUS.. when I think of people like that, I think of senile mom and pops firing shotgun rounds in their front yard because someone was walking on their grass.

"why?" - This world is getting worse, and there already are times where we have to place ourselves in situations we would rather not be in (bad neighborhood, secluded place at night, etc..). In those instances I think we should carry, but I see no reason to otherwise. I would say "life isn't much without taking risks", but not carrying a pistol isn't much of a risk at all.

Just doesn't justify the means.. Carrying a pistol on your hip to make you .000001% safer from the one BILLION things that could happen to you at any given time.
Eskimo is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 06:04 PM   #30
KLRANGL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 9, 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 958
mmm... im gona have to disagree with you there amigo.

Quote:
Having a pistol on your hip every time you go out because you think something bad may happen at some random point in your life is delusional
Does anyone really go out expecting something to happen to them? Bad things can happen at random times, not just when you expect them to.

Quote:
when I think of people like that, I think of senile mom and pops firing shotgun rounds in their front yard because someone was walking on their grass.
Well that's unfortunate you feel that way, but I must point out that that is a feeling and in no way a fact or correct representation of those who carry 100% of the time.

Quote:
I even go as far as to say it's DANGEROUS
Dangerous to carry a CCW? That's a big statement, so I'll give you the opportunity to back it up first...

Quote:
Just doesn't justify the means.. Carrying a pistol on your hip to make you .000001% safer from the one BILLION things that could happen to you at any given time.
Well that certainly is a personal opinion, which has its merits, but not one I specifically subscribe to. I beleive the apparent drawbacks (that you say there are) do not outweigh the benefits.
__________________
And it's Killer Angel... as in the book
KLRANGL is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 06:52 PM   #31
NightSight
Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 74
+1 for KLRANGL

-1 for Eskimo
__________________
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July; democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan
NightSight is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 07:16 PM   #32
orionengnr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 9, 2004
Posts: 4,985
I carry whenever and wherever it is legal to do so.

There is only one reason my CCW is left in my vehicle: I am entering a building where I am not legally allowed to CCW. Post Office, Court building (which in my area is defined as library and other municipal buildings adjacent/attached to the courthouse ), establishments correctly posted, etc.
orionengnr is offline  
Old July 22, 2009, 07:49 PM   #33
mrt949
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 16, 2008
Posts: 1,465
If legal by law i carry.
mrt949 is offline  
Old July 23, 2009, 10:21 AM   #34
Cosmic Zamboni
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 23, 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
I prefer to leave my CW in the car in the cases where I can't take it with me (visit daughter's school, etc.) rather than leaving it at home entirely. I don't like leaving it in the car. I don't like leaving it at home. Given the choice of the two I leave it in the car.
Cosmic Zamboni is offline  
Old July 23, 2009, 10:36 AM   #35
BikerRN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 11, 2007
Location: "State of Discombobulation"
Posts: 1,333
In response to the OP.

I have two choices:

1) Carry Gun where legally able to do so

2) Leave Gun in vehicle

I pick option 1, as that way I know my gun isn't being stolen, to later be used in a crime. Carry your gun, or leave it at home in a safe. You do have a safe don't you? I have a lockbox bolted to the floor of my truck, but I very seldom use it.

Biker
BikerRN is offline  
Old July 23, 2009, 01:41 PM   #36
CorpITGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 14, 2009
Posts: 113
I agree with KLRANGL. A friend told me recently she was going to carry "only when she felt like she might need it". My response was, "if you think you might need it, don't go there!!!"

Crimes are almost never committed when we expect them... that's the whole point.

I fail to understand eskimo's logic.. what makes us dangerous for assuming that something bad could happen at any point? It could.

I carry 100% of the time I am legally able.
CorpITGuy is offline  
Old July 23, 2009, 01:46 PM   #37
TenmaNeko
Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 62
I don't know why one would have a CHL and not carry the weapon.

You have health insurance all the time since you never know when you'll get sick.

You wear a seat belt all the time since you never know when you'll get in a car wreck.

You carry your concealed handgun all the time since you never know when you or a loved one will be attacked.

Makes sense to me.
TenmaNeko is offline  
Old July 23, 2009, 02:30 PM   #38
MLeake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 15, 2007
Location: Outside KC, MO
Posts: 10,128
Apples and oranges

Is the main point of the thread about leaving the weapon in the car as a matter of preference, or leaving it in the car because one of your stops is in a "gun free zone?"

That really makes a big difference in the answer.
MLeake is offline  
Old July 23, 2009, 05:45 PM   #39
Double Naught Spy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 8, 2001
Location: Forestburg, Montague County, Texas
Posts: 10,425
Quote:
Crimes are almost never committed when we expect them... that's the whole point.
Right, the criminals are bright enough to know that attacking expectant targets has a much lower probability for success than attacking unsuspecting targets.
__________________
"If you look through your scope and see your shoe, aim higher."
-- said to me by my 11 year old daughter before going out for hogs 8/13/2011
Double Naught Spy is offline  
Old July 24, 2009, 06:56 PM   #40
Stevie-Ray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2007
Location: The shores of Lake Huron
Posts: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
Having a pistol on your hip every time you go out because you think something bad may happen at some random point in your life is delusional. I even go as far as to say it's DANGEROUS..
Well, I guess I'm delusional then, because that's exactly why I carry. In fact, if I was positive nothing bad would ever happen to me at some random part in my life, I would have never applied for a CPL. I would go as far as to say I don't think anybody would, as there wouldn't really be a reason for it now would there? As far as it being dangerous? Yeah, I deeply hope so, dangerous to any perpetrator of evil against my person, or against those that I love.
__________________
Stevie-Ray
Join the NRA/ILA
I am the weapon; my gun is a tool. It's regrettable that with some people those descriptors are reversed.
Stevie-Ray is offline  
Old July 24, 2009, 10:48 PM   #41
Frank Ettin
Staff
 
Join Date: November 23, 2005
Location: California - San Francisco
Posts: 6,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
...Having a pistol on your hip every time you go out because you think something bad may happen at some random point in your life is delusional...
Nonsense.

It is true that the odds of actually ever needing your weapon are vanishingly small. The vast majority of humans, especially in the United States, will go quietly to their deaths in bed without ever having to defend themselves in a violent encounter.

BUT there are still people who were carrying a gun when they faced an emergency and who were able to prevail in that emergency and survive because they had a gun on their person. Do you say to them that they were delusional to have been carrying a gun? That they should have left their guns at home and embraced their fate?

The rub is that there is no way you can know, as you leave the house in the morning, exactly what will happen. The odds are that your day will go along normally and safely. But every day things don't work out quite as well for one or more people. And you have no way, as you start your day, of knowing when or if you will be one of the unlucky very few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
...I would say "life isn't much without taking risks", but not carrying a pistol isn't much of a risk at all...
And if you wish to assume that risk, do so by all means. That is your choice. Don't carry a gun. But do not presume to tell me what risks I will assume in my life. That is my business and my choice and not yours. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am entitled to conclude that your opinion is uniformed and not worthy of my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
...Carrying a pistol on your hip to make you .000001% safer from the one BILLION things that could happen to you at any given time....
I suspect that you made those numbers up. If you did, they are meaningless. If you did not, cite your source.

But let's take a look at long odds. Just because the odds of losing are long doesn't make something a good bet.

I will offer you a bet. You must put up $1.00, and 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 tries, you will win. And if you win, you will receive a nice, bright shiny new dime. But if you lose, you must give me absolutely everything you have, including the clothes on your back.

So you have 999,999 chances out of 1,000,000 to walk away with a grand total of $1.10, i.e., a net profit of $0.10. But you have 1 chance in 1,000,000 of walking off naked and utterly destitute. How much do you really like that bet, even though your odds of winning are extraordinary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo
...If you don't sense danger, there's no sense in bringing it with you.
How do you sense danger? Are you clairvoyant? Do you always know exactly what's going to happen? Haven't you ever been surprised?
Frank Ettin is offline  
Old July 26, 2009, 10:00 PM   #42
Spade Cooley
Junior member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Posts: 296
One of my neighbor ladies carried a gun in the car. She visited her daughter in the city and left the gun in the car. The car was broken into during the night and the gun was stolen.

I also carry a gun in the truck but if I'm in for the night at a motel, or staying with someone, the gun goes with me.

When it comes to CCW in places that are forbidden, If I think I could be in danger I'll carry it anyway. No one should know you have it and don't let anyone see it. What's the old saying, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than burried by 6.
Spade Cooley is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 09:58 AM   #43
thmsmgnm
Member
 
Join Date: February 23, 2008
Posts: 17
If I am awake and not in a court house or some other NPE where there are metal detectors then I am armed.

I know of too many people who though that they didn't need to carry a gun that day, and never go a chance to have another day.
thmsmgnm is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 10:38 AM   #44
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam
 
Join Date: October 31, 2007
Location: Western Florida panhandle
Posts: 11,071
One reason I do not CC is because I never like to keep a gun in my ride unattended. Even if my vehicle locks, It is not secure enuff. Likely though my trucks don't have window motors in the doors so locking is for looks only so no sense thinking a gun would be safe.
Brent
hogdogs is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 12:35 PM   #45
Mello2u
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,424
The purpose of having a conceal weapon's license is to HAVE the weapon in the event that you need it for defense.

If you leave it in your vehicle you do not have it to use in that event. Additionally, some places like parking areas outside courthouses and other places where firearms are prohibited to citizens are attractive to thieves who will do smash and grabs to see what they can glean from this potentially rich target area for guns in vehicles.

Even though I have a lock box in my vehicle for those times when I am by law prohibited from carrying my weapon into a building and must leave it for a time in my parked vehicle, I still do not feel good about the possibility of it being stolen from by vehicle. All this lock box can do is slow down the theft.


First rule of a gun fight is: have a gun.
Second rule is: shot placement.
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/gunfight_rules.htm this link for 23 more "rules".
__________________
NRA Life Member - Orange Gunsite Member - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society,
they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it.
" Frederic Bastiat
Mello2u is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 01:33 PM   #46
armsmaster270
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 25, 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,944
Fortunatly here there are few places I can't go armed we don't have a private property posting problem, you can CCW in bars as long as you aren't under the influence, movies are OK, County Admin building is OK, City Hall except the Council Chambers is OK. Only Federal property and Some State buildings are off limits. The Coast Guard Station Commander allows me to CCW on it. If I have to leave a gun in a vehicle I won't go there too many guns are stolen from vehicles. If I go into the Courthouse I advise the Deputy's at the metal detector I am Carrying PRIOR TO THE THE SCREENING AREA and request to use one of their lock boxes and retain the key.
On the Holster question mine threads on to my belt.
__________________
http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...aster270/Guns/
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor & Armorer, Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
armsmaster270 is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 03:19 PM   #47
Don P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,792
Why leave the house with it if the plan is to leave it in the car Car gets stolen gun gets stolen along with it Please wait a minute Mr. Bad Man while I go back to my car that was stolen so I can get my stolen gun. This has to be at the top of the STUPIDITY list. Might as well leave the house with the gun unloaded this way it is as much use as leaving it in the stolen car
__________________
NRA Life Member, NRA Range Safety Officer, IDPA Safety Officer
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Don P is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 04:23 PM   #48
MLeake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 15, 2007
Location: Outside KC, MO
Posts: 10,128
Because the plan may be...

... to go from the places where one can't carry (courthouse, airport, etc) to or through other places where one can carry, and where one feels one should carry.

While I'd prefer not to risk having a gun get stolen in my truck (although this would require use of cutting tools, as the lockbox is hardmounted to the truck; otherwise it would require the theft of the truck itself), I'd prefer even more than that to not disarm myself if traveling in questionable areas, especially after hours.

So, I'll accept the mitigated risk of locking a gun inside a compartment, inside a locked car.

BTW, the local PD policy for its officers is that they shall be armed when off-duty, unless drinking, in which case they are to lock their guns in locking compartments in their vehicles when they go to a bar.

Either the PD is very irresponsible, or else a lot of members of the forum are particularly conservative.
MLeake is offline  
Old July 31, 2009, 04:34 PM   #49
Southern Rebel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2009
Posts: 160
I'm just not smart enough to know when I might need it, so I carry unless I am going in the post office or in one of the schools. In those cases, I reluctantly leave it in my truck. (I can afford to buy another gun, but I am stuck with this body, so I try not to let it get damaged!)
Southern Rebel is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.12736 seconds with 7 queries