The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 15, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
ebusa

Browning BAR Safari Lightweight /w Boss ?

Hi All,

About a year ago I picked up a beautiful brand new Browning BAR in 7mm Rem Mag w/Boss, 24 inch barrel. Extremely Accurate!

On the box it says it's the MKII Safari Lightweight. It has high gloss stock/forearm and barrel. The recieveer has a Matte alloy finish with no safari engraving.

My question is...is this a special run? I have not seen another one like it and cannot find information on it. All I run across is the lightweight stalker. I know it's a safari model, just can't seem to find reference to the safari lightweight model.

Thanks for your help!
Old July 15, 2009, 03:34 PM   #2
pilothunter

About 10-12 yrs ago, when the MKII model was still pretty new, Browning also came out with a lightweight version. Similar to the lightweight made now, but with a standard wood stock, as you have described. I purchased one in .308 w/20" barrel. Nice rifle, but for some really stupid reason, I decided to sell it and buy something else I simply MUST have needed at the time. The fella I sold it to has never even fired it, but has also resisited my offers to buy it back. I'd like it back now because it is so rare and handy.

I'd bet yours is kin to the one I bought back then. One that was left stored NIB somewhere for several years, apparently. You simply do not see them around any more and I'd think them to carry something of a premium in value due to how rare they are now.
Old July 15, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
ebusa

Thanks for information!

Your right, I bought it from a well known gun shop (Kesselrings) here in Washington State that's been around for over 60 years.

The guy went downstairs to get it, so it must have been sitting down there awhile! Box was even dusty!

It's got beautiful cherry colored gloss wood too! Looks like I got a Keeper!
Old July 15, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
ebusa

Just thought of something...It does have the BOSS system on it, so I'm wondering when that was introduced now - found it looks like the BOSS system came out in 94.
Old July 15, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
pilothunter

posting deleted
Old July 15, 2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Halifax270

I believe that the Lighweight has an alluminum receiver. From what I understand Browning only does the Safari scrolling on guns with steel receivers.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7
ebusa

Maybe I'll try and post a pic.

Last edited by ebusa; July 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old July 17, 2009, 08:31 PM   #8
ebusa

Old July 18, 2009, 10:32 AM   #9
pilothunter

Well, that looks exactly like the one I bought back in the mid 90s. Matte alloy receiver and polished blue barrel. The stock was the typical high gloss wood stock found on the MKII Safari. They are pretty rare, I've only seen a few others for sale in all these years, even on the internet.
Nice Gun!
Old November 8, 2009, 09:25 PM   #10
andrewstorm

LIGHT bar

would u trade fo anything?
Old November 8, 2009, 10:08 PM   #11
JerseyDrez

Wow, that rifle has some of the nicest wood Ive ever seen.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old November 9, 2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Oldfalguy

Browning & nice wood- ought to have a place in a Thesaurus

Nice rifle
Old November 25, 2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Texased

Ebusa,

What does that rifle wiegh in at. I have found two in 300 win. NIB. One with iron sights and one with the boss. Also how is the recoil with the lighter rifle and how accurate has it been.
Old November 25, 2009, 11:09 PM   #14
fyimo

Great looking rifle and I would hang on to it. The new boss system by Browning dropped the muzzle brake piece and now you can just dial in the bullet harmonic part.