The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
crapster

XDc Stainless vs black

Hi, saw a xd 45c with stainless top...very nice looking. My question is this: with the stainless, is there a problem with glair/glint off of the gun when compared to normal "black"? I am not a tactical expert by any means, so i am not aware if this should be a consideratin when buying a gun, or if it really isnt a problem. Just strikes me it might be easier to see the gun [harder to concele] if the top is the stainless type that the xd45c comes in vs black. Any input appreciated. TIA
Old July 14, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
publius

No, it's a matte stainless that doesn't reflect light well. I don't even consider polished nickel to be a major factor in a defensive handgun.
Old July 14, 2009, 12:28 PM   #3
kazanski612

I carry an XD40sc bi-tone and love it. The stainless slide is just as concealable as black IMO. If the sun is shining under your shirt and reflecting off the slide, it's probably already in plain view.

...unless you wear a lot of see-though shirts, that is... and if so, please don't post any pics .
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old July 14, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
crapster

Thnaks....follow up

Does anyone know off hand what hte price difference "should" be for the stainless version? I assume there is a price difference, just wondering how much. Thanks.
Old July 14, 2009, 03:42 PM   #5
crapster

BTT

Anyone know price difference??? TIA
Old July 14, 2009, 03:51 PM   #6
azredhawk44

I saw about a $50 price difference between the black XD9 and the stainless one when I bought mine.

I chose stainless so that if I drew the gun, it would be highly visible and give someone the absolute last chance to stop what they were doing that made me draw in the first place, high-tail and run the other direction.

Also, because scratches can be buffed out, whereas the black finish is expensive to repair.
Old July 15, 2009, 12:58 AM   #7
Quentin2

I almost always go for a black or blue steel firearm. I'm old school and think they look better. Also they are less noticable when you need it - and less expensive as well. Granted, they do require more maintenance but I've always enjoyed cleaning my black beauties. Many of them are at least 35 years old and still look pretty good.
Old July 15, 2009, 02:50 AM   #8
_W_

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stainless does not have the Melonite treatment.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Super Trucker

Quote:
I almost always go for a black or blue steel firearm. I'm old school and think they look better. Also they are less noticeable when you need it - and less expensive as well. Granted, they do require more maintenance but I've always enjoyed cleaning my black beauties. Many of them are at least 35 years old and still look pretty good.
All my XD's are Bi-Tone, well actually every handgun I own has some silver someplace. I can open carry a Bi-Tone model XD through Wal-Mart and 99% of the people don't notice it.

Not to be rude but when was the last time a real person (not somebody on tv) had their cover blown by the guns color?
I think the muzzle flash will pretty much give away your position to the enemy.
From the time the gun leaves the holster there is about a second for somebody to analyze the color of the gun before the fire gets real bright.

As a white male if my shirt lifts up while I am CC'ing, do you think a black gun or silver gun show against my skin?

If you like blue guns that is awesome, but don't kid yourself about why you like them.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Super Trucker

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stainless does not have the Melonite treatment.
I don't think it does.

But the question of so what comes to mind?
The blued XD's were the one's having the rust problem, before they changed the finish. Pretty much a non issue with the Bi-Tones

If you wipe it down with a silicon cloth once in a while there shouldn't be a problem. I bought my first Bi-Tone XD in 2004 and it has no rust and is carried often. It has been covered in sweat, I have been out in the rain and it hasn't got any rust on it yet.