The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 9, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1
wdigeorge

New Product Announcement: M14/M1A/M1 Garand Multi-Tool & Ordnance Gauge, THE ARMORER™

Greetings my fellow firearms enthusiasts!

I wanted to share with you a new multi-functional tool/ordnance gauge that I invented called THE ARMORER™ (Patent Pending). It has over 30 uses/functions/configurations and can fit inside the M14 buttstock storage tube (long) for easy portability. It is primarily designed for the M14 and also for the M1 Garand as many aspects are similar between these two Battle Rifles.

The main gauge functions are:

* Muzzle Wear Gauge
* Throat Erosion Gauge (M14)
* Throat Erosion Gauge (M1)
* Flash Hider Alignment Gauge

Some of the main functions/uses are:

* Gas Nut Wrench
* Bolt Roller Greaser
* Trigger Group Disassembly Tool/Pin Punch
* 1/4" hex socket for standard drive bits
* Gas Piston Holder
* Grease Container
* Gasketed, Dry Storage Compartment
* Rear Sight Tool
* Butt Stock Screw Tool
* Extractor Claw Cleaner
* Bolt Face Carbon Scraper
* Stock Liner Tool
* Magazine Floor Plate Tool
* and many more...(please refer to website for complete list)

For a gallery of over 40 application photos, please visit the link below and select PHOTO GALLERY:
http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badt1.php#

THE ARMORER™ multi-function tool is truly a tool designed by a M14/M1 Garand enthusiast for M14/M1 Garand enthusiasts. It is an outlet for me to have an excuse to do what I love as a hobby and tell my wife “It is work honey!”

I know it may not be all things for all people and will not replace some of the single use tools/gauges in the shop, but if I can even make a small percentage of my fellow M14/M1 Garand shooters happy and their lives easier, I have achieved my goal.

I am not a large corporation but a small American owned business. I am not too proud to listen and take advice from all of you if you have a suggestion on something that can improve upon. I will continue to evolve the design as time progresses. Some changes may take a little time as the entire operation is supported by my own savings and financing and resources are limited, especially during these economic times.

I had a made conscious decision to design, develop, engineer, and manufacture everything here in the U.S. so I may support other small businesses and help create/keep jobs here, not overseas and to ensure that my quality standards are upheld.

Thank you all for reading.

Regards,

George

Last edited by wdigeorge; July 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: link correction
Old July 9, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Nice product. Got a dealer price? email me

WildkudostoyouAlaska TM
Old July 10, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
lipadj46

Nice tool but at $240 not quite an impulse buy.
Old July 10, 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
wdigeorge

Thank you for the compliments guys.

I know the tool is not inexpensive as it is catered towards more of the middle to high-end crowd where quality is of the up most importance. I didn't set a target price and then made a tool to fit that price. I put the cost aside and designed the best tool that I possibly can with the best quality and materials. After I was done, the price is where it needed to be.

Manufacturing everything here in the USA has its costs and I made a conscious decision to still make it here instead of overseas. I think many of us are probably tired of our jobs going overseas while we sit unemployed. I have worked hard trying to get the cost down and have contacted about a dozen different machine shops in the US and so far this is the best option.

The good news is that if you don't already own a lot of the gauges and tools, it will actually cost you less money. If you check some of the very well recognized M14/Garand websites such as Fulton Armory, Scott Duff, etc., you will find just 3 of the 30 tools/functions add up to be about $187.50 not including shipping, etc.

M1/M14 TE Gauge = $82.50
.30 CAL MW Gauge = $35
Flash Hider Alignment Gauge = $70

If you then add up the rest (20+ remaining tools/functions) that it replaces, plus some that currently do not even exist or have an comparable equal, you're looking at way over the MSRP of the tool, and with the added weight, bulk, and non of the innovation.

If you already own many of the tools and gauges then you're probably set and will not save much by buying this tool. However, you will still get the added convenience of portability (as it fits in the butt stock) and to have the right tool at the right time when you need it is priceless.

There is a Group Buy currently going on now so people can get on the waiting list for the first production run at an intro rate of $199.

Each tool will be custom serial numbered, you can see a bit of it here:

"THE ARMORER™ - There is nothing like it and this one is mine!"

Last edited by wdigeorge; July 10, 2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

You need to get in touch with American Rifleman to see if they are interested in doing a review in the magazine.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Ranger325

Very interesting product indeed!!

FWIW, the National Matches at Camp Perry begin this weekend starting with pistol and ending in early Aug with the rifle matches, including the Garand and M1A competitions. I'll be there starting on Tuesday. Vendors row is always well attended and if you have some completed tools you could show them off/take orders. Also, if you have any completed, a 'freebie' or two to the US Service teams would also be a good way to market your product.

The CMP North store is there too. Not sure how they determine items to stock, you'd sure get some interest from the guys looking through the racks - good way to show off the TE gauge capabilities.

I'm just sayin'...................

Good luck.

Regards,
Old July 10, 2009, 11:09 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

What Ranger said about the CMP shoot. There you will find all kinds of serious shooters of the M1 and M14.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:19 PM   #8
wdigeorge

Mike Irwin,

That is a great idea. Thank you. I'll see who I need to talk to at American Rifleman. Do you know a particular person there who I should contact?

Ranger325 & johnwillamson062,

Thank you for the suggestions as well. The first production run of the tools should be here in about two weeks. I don't believe I can make it there as I work full time as a designer/engineer in Vegas and only doing this as a hobby. I will see if one of my dealers will be there. I would be open to give one or two tools to the US Service teams for trials. Who's the best person to contact there?

Old July 10, 2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Ranger325

wdigeorge,
I can only speak to the US Army Marksmanship Unit - they are headquartered out of Fort Benning Ga. I would think a Google search could get you details and a phone.
Feel free to email me if you wish, we can chat, maybe I can do some initial research on them and some of the dealers when I'm there next week............................your call.

Regards,

Last edited by Ranger325; July 10, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old July 10, 2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's been too many years since I worked for American Rifleman. Virtually everyone I knew then is long gone.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:48 AM   #11
Notenoughguns

I have an M1A and I like your product, the price seems stiff, but you usually get what you pay for. I just might have to get myself one of these nifty tools.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:03 AM   #12
wdigeorge

Range325,

Thanks for the email. Hopefully we can find the right people at AMU to try one out.

Mike Irwin,

I sent an email/message through their website. Thanks for the help.

Notenoughguns,

I hope in 2-3 weeks there will be actual reports from new owners with their review of THE ARMORER™. I have been guilty of buying things over the years simply because it cheaper but in almost all cases I have regretted the decision and wished I paid more for the higher quality counterpart because the original had failed, broken, etc. I hope if you do decide to get one that it will meet your expectations.

Old July 23, 2009, 09:52 PM   #13
wdigeorge

Latest production photos:

The First Production Run should be ready around the first half of August.

Old August 7, 2009, 01:02 AM   #14
wdigeorge

THE ARMORER(TM) is on the way from manufacturing to me so it will be available soon and be in people's hands for review/feedback!

BTW - Here is a sneak peak at our version of the M14, M1A, SEI GLFS (Gas Lock Front Sight), and M1 Garand Gas Cylinder Lock Wrench that will compliment BAD-T1 THE ARMORER(TM). The following images are of of the PROTOTYPES:

TOP Double Ended 3/8" Thick Wrench: BOTTOM Double Ended 1/2" Thick Wrench - The holes are threaded and used as Gas Plug Holders (so they don't get lost) and Gas Piston Holder (to keep the gas piston from rotating when using a drill bit to clean out the carbon)

TOP Standard 1/4" Thick Single Function Wrench for comparison : MIDDLE 3/8" Prototype Wrench : BOTTOM 1/2" Prototype Wrench

They will be made out of Aircraft Grade 7075-T6 Aluminum and Hard Coat Anodized. These tools will be "Made In USA" as well.

Old August 7, 2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Ranger325

Sweet...................

Regards,
Old September 8, 2009, 09:41 PM   #16
wdigeorge

We have recently made a MAJOR UPDATE to the BAD-T1 MANUAL. Now it includes application photos next to each of the (32) diagrams and some updated directions.

You can download the latest manual HERE

Regards,

George

Old September 14, 2009, 10:40 PM   #17
wdigeorge

Bad-t1 video demo!!

I know many people have been asking to see a video demo of the BAD-T1.

The VIDEO DEMO is finally here! The video is by one of our customers who go by Different on M-14 Firing Line, Lee Emerson, who authored a two volume book on the M14/M1A Rifle.

Lee was nice enough to help us out on the lack of video demonstration of the BAD-T1 and did a instructional video himself on how to maintain the M14/M1A using THE ARMORER(TM) this weekend. Thank you Lee!

Here are the two video links on YouTube:

PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsbc99uaLBE

PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzzx5T2mZOU

I hope this will help everyone see how to utilize the tool.

George

Old September 15, 2009, 04:40 AM   #18
Bud Helms
Staff

Have you contacted the folks at S.W.A.T. Mag to see if they are interested in a review?
Old September 15, 2009, 10:29 AM   #19
wdigeorge

Hi Bud,

We haven't contacted S.W.A.T. magazine yet. Do you know of a contact there?

A senior editor at American Riflemen have one of our tools and maybe writing an article on THE ARMORER(TM) soon.

George

Old September 20, 2009, 06:09 PM   #20
wdigeorge

M14/M1A, M1 Garand, and SEI Gas Lock Front Sight Wrenches

The BAD-T3 and BAD-T4's M14/M1A, M1 GARAND, and SEI Gas Lock Front Sight Wrenches are now available. Here are the latest pictures: