The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 9, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
MTMilitiaman

Best sub-$300 red dot for AK/Ultimak

Okay, my Larue IronDot was backordered, and in the meantime, I was able to shoot my bro's Ultimak/Aimpoint combo. I gotta say, I was impressed. I cancelled my order with Larue, and am now planning on going the Ultimak route. The problem is that I doubt if I will be able to afford an Aimpoint, and still pay other obligations. So I would like input on the best tubular-style red dot sight available for under $300, preferably closer to $250. I am looking for a max 4 MOA dot, preferably 2 MOA. I am mostly concerned with durability and battery life. The optic is, again, going on an Ultimak on a Romanian AK, to be used for 300 yard and under--mostly 16x32 inch torso targets, and stumps and such. It's also my primarily home defense long gun.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2
danweasel

Well I am looking for one too. DON'T go with any Baraska with a 2x screw on magnifier. I plunked down my $80 bucks to save you the trouble. Ha!
Old July 9, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
hoytinak

I prefer the C-More I had on mine but many other's like the Aimpoint or EoTechs...they can be found used in that price range.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Sixer

Bushnell HoloSight.

Made by Eotech, but not sure if they're still in production. If you can find one, they usually go for about $200

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Huntergirl

Bushnell Trophy.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:46 AM   #6
MTMilitiaman

Where would one go to find a used Aimpoint with minimal fear of it being a counterfeit? Does Aimpoint have a Certified Pre-Owned program like SIG?
Old July 10, 2009, 04:35 PM   #7
DE Shooter

Bushnell Trophy so far....

I have a Bushnell Trophy 32mm MP red dot on a BN02 quick release side mnt...on a saiga x39. Have only used it (only a couple hundred rnds) out to 100yds and am very happy with it. Have done several dis-mount / mount drills with it and it holds zero very well. The various reticle color/light settings are a plus for bright light/low light conditions. Cost $154 delivered a couple months ago. I have heard good stuff on the Vortex Strikefire too.
Old July 10, 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
AK103K

Your best bet is to just knuckle down and spend the little extra and go for the Aimpoint. The Aimpoints wont get any cheaper and you'll have what you really want. Your almost there with your price limit as it is.

I've seen ML2's for around $365 lately. They arent the newest versions, but still offer 10000 hour battery life. I have a couple of them on my AK's, and change the battery once a year. I dont shut them off either.

If you go the Aimpoint route, Aimpoints own "low" ring is your best bet with the Ultimak if you want to cowitness the iron sights. All the lever types I've tried sit to high. The Aimpoint is still the cheapest route too I think. I paid $25 for mine, but I see they are up to about $45 now.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:12 PM   #9
wnycollector

You might want to check out ultradot. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...m_campaign=657

A guy who shoots at my club swears by them. He has them on his bullseye pistol and ar.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:38 AM   #10
MAX100

New out this year Konus Pro Atomic T-1 style sight. The same sight as the New Sig Sauer T-1 style RD sight. The Konus has a more durable mount and cost less. I don't know how well they will hold up on the UltiMak gas tube rail because it gets very hot. On an UM it will co witness with the irons. They run about $100 and mine has held up well so far.

Here are pictures.

GC
Old July 11, 2009, 03:48 AM   #11
armoredman

Do NOT get the loss leader BSA holosight Midway is selling for %40, down from $100. Mine ran 90 rounds, and the knob becamne so loose it would turn off under recoil. Tried an ADCO for three times as much, glass distored tremendously, junk. Hoping to try a C-More soon.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:59 PM   #12
MTMilitiaman

I really am thinking about just going with the Aimpoint. It is a known quantity for me--I know it works, holds zero, handles the heat, has the 2 MOA dot, and the battery life I want. I have been burned by cheap optics before and I realize optics are usually something you get what you pay for with. I once had a BSA Catseye go Tango Uniform on me after 100 rounds on an SKS. The reticle started turning with the power adjustment I also have more experience hunting with a Tasco than I would like to admit. That is the primary reason I save for Leupolds now. If it has to be the same way with this red dot I am looking for, so be it. I was kind of curious about the Burris Tactical red dots. Larue uses the Dr-Optic-ish FastFire on their IronDot, and they make a tubular style red dot in the same series of optics. Does anyone have any experience with this optic?

Where is the best place to pick up an Aimpoint?

O, and thanks for the advice AK103K, and to all of you. That Konus looks interesting as well, but I am hesitant to lay down money on a company I've never heard of before, on an optic that is obviously a copy or clone of one offered by a more well-respected company.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:24 PM   #13
AK103K

I havent dealt with these folks, but they came up in a quick search and had the cheapest price I saw...

http://www.del-ton.com/Aimpoint_Comp_p/op1004.htm

I have dealt with GG&G, and they are good to deal with. They often have deals running like this, which is a sight and mount combo. This may be the better route to go if you can use the mount on something else, or maybe even sell or trade it. I believe the ring alone is worth $175, which would make the Aimpoint $288.

I got my the Aimpoint M2 I have on my one AR from them in one of these combo deals.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=25...FQtN5QodAGtBJQ
Old July 11, 2009, 11:26 PM   #14
MAX100

Quote:
That Konus looks interesting as well, but I am hesitant to lay down money on a company I've never heard of before
Konus USA has a lifetime replacement Warranty and has very good customer service. Their new line of Tactical M30 scopes are well thouht of and also their spotting scopes. Buy the Konus from Midway USA and you will have 90 day return policy if anything goes wrong with it.

Here is a Thread link I posted on another forum, below, on the Knous Pro Atomic sight. There are plenty of picture in the thread of the knous & Sig Sauer T-1 RD sight: mount, battery compartment and they are compared to each other. You will see by the pictures that the Konus and SIG SAUER sight are the same. Midway had the Konus on sale for $80. To me 80 bucks is not a big deal especially if it is backed by a very good replacement Warranty.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=180139

You can't go wrong with the Aimpoint T-1 it has a good resale value. It's a $550 investment though.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; July 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old July 12, 2009, 03:01 PM   #15
hoytinak

Quote:
I havent dealt with these folks, but they came up in a quick search and had the cheapest price I saw...

http://www.del-ton.com/Aimpoint_Comp_p/op1004.htm
Del-ton's some good guys. I've meet them at a couple of gunshows in NC and bought several AR parts off them. Never had any problems.
Old July 12, 2009, 03:27 PM   #16
AK103K

There ya go then. That appears to be the deal of the week on the Aimpoint alone.
Old July 12, 2009, 05:04 PM   #17
5whiskey

I was goint to suggest a Trijicon reflex, but I've noticed the price on those has gone WAY up. I paid 225 for my reflex II with the A.R.M.S mount. That's 500 bucks worth these days. Wow
Old July 12, 2009, 07:03 PM   #18
Sharpsdressed Man

Clamp a regular Burris Fastfire on it. If you don't like it, you can always move it to a pistol, or a .22, or anything.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:27 PM   #19
MAX100

There are not many RD sights that will hold to the heat of the UltiMak gas tube rail generated under sustained fire. Even some of the EOTech sights have problems with it.

GC
Old July 12, 2009, 08:49 PM   #20
AK103K

The Ultimak actually does very well at dissipating heat, and especially compared to steel rails. The rail on my SOCOM would quickly get very hot and stay hot, even with just moderate fire.

I've shot my AK's with the Ultimaks on them pretty fast and furious on more than a few occasions, and while the guns were hot enough you didnt want to touch the barrels, the Ultimak cools down pretty quickly, and isnt near as hot as other parts of the gun.