The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 7, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
LongRifle

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 308 Winchester

I, recently purchased a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 308 Winchester. I took it to the range and to my suprise I, shot 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. I thought that it may have been a fluke, so I asked my friend to take a few shots on a new target, and guess what; he also hit 1/4 MOA at 100 yards.

I, then backed up to 200 yards and I shot a four leaf clover in the target, the rifle was more accurate at 200 yards than it was at 100 yards.

Now, are all of the new Winchester Model 70's this way or did I luck-out and get one that is a freak that someone in Winchester's shop took extra time with.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this experience.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Dave R

Cloverleafs at 200 yards borders on the unbelievable, so I would say both the rifle and your shooting skills are exceptional.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

LOL

I just finished a post saying that I just bought my first modern model 70 also. My only experience with model 70's have been in rifles that were nearly 50 years old.

But I have one now almost as an accident, but I wasn't too worried. I mentioned what I had done to my business partner. I'd forgotten that his main elk rifle was a fairly modern model 70 in 300 Win Mag. In less than half an hour he was quizzing me about "taking that new 270 WSM off my hands" even though I haven't even SEEN it yet. He has had great results with his Model 70 but the 300 mag really pounds him and he wants something a little tamer.

But no, I don't think your rifle is typical for modern 70's. Every once in awhile though, all the pieces fit just perfectly and you end up with a stellar performer at a bargain price. Just enjoy...
Old July 7, 2009, 09:14 PM   #4
LongRifle

I, have just taken shooting back-up after six years of being tied up with work. I was not that great of a shooter as I, recall but I also used military surplus rifles (No.4 MkI, 303 brit) before, never had bought a rifle new from the factory before.

The scope that I use is a Nikon $149.99.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
xwe666

Is your model 70 one of the new fn (south carolina)?Those seem to be very accurate from what I read from people who own them.I have one of those in 300 win mag and it seem to shoot just as good as my other rifle but my shoothing skill are limited.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Fat White Boy

I bought my Model 70 on sale at WalMart about 7 or 8 years ago. It is in .270 and has always shot tight groups using stock Corelokt ammo. I also use a Nikon scope(BuckMaster 3-9X40)...
Old July 7, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7
LongRifle

Yes, my rifle is one of the new FNH built in South Carolina.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
jmr40

About the same time the new rifles were getting into gunstores there was a write up in one of the gun magazines where a bunch of gunwriters got to try out pre-production model 70's. The results were not promising, 2-3" groups.

But everyone that has bought one and posted about on the net has had great things to say about the accuracy. The last thing I need right now is another rifle, but I am trying to justify buying one and trying them out.

I have a couple of older pushfeed Featherweight rifles that are 1" guns and I think the Featherweight is the best looking rifle out there. Good looks and performance at a reasonable price.
Old July 8, 2009, 10:45 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
Now, are all of the new Winchester Model 70's this way or did I luck-out and get one that is a freak that someone in Winchester's shop took extra time with.
I dont think its a fluke. I have one of the new featherweights in 270 Win and I also found it to be a shooter.

I haven't heard anything bad about any of them. I have several winchesters, pre and post 64. I think the new FN Model 70s are the best of any of them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071