The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 30, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
ninjatoth

What If You Did Encounter A Perp?

Let's say you hear a noise in the middle of the night somewhere in your house,so you get your revolver and go investigate,and you encounter a guy trying to steal your television,what then?Do you cock your gun or not?Do you cock the hammer back being prepared for making the first shot count if you do indeed feel the need to fire,or do you leave it uncocked,preparing to emty your gun without the first shot being lighter and throwing off your timing or also being cautious to not accidentally shoot him if he does indeed surrender?
Old June 30, 2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Daryl

Under the stress of such an encounter, person is usually better off NOT cocking a DA revolver. To do so might create a bad situation where you unintentionally shoot the perp, and without proper justification you might end up in a mess (ok, you'll end up in a mess WITH proper justification, but it's always better to keep things in your favor).

That's one reason for practicing shooting DA, and not just SA.

From there, what I'd do would depend on the exact circumstances. If I'm not in fear of my life, I wouldn't shoot. It's not worth the trouble for a TV set, and the perp isn't likely to outrun me while carrying it. The perp also isn't likely to shoot very well while carrying one, if (s)he does indeed have a gun.

Otherwise, if I draw my gun, it's likely time to use it.

Daryl
Old June 30, 2009, 05:18 PM   #3
pendennis

Your question infers a severe lack of preparedness.

You should be practicing for the scenario you raise. While shooting scenarios are, for the most part, ad libbed, you shouldn't have to think about your reaction.

If you wield a semi-auto like the 1911, you should have the weapon in condition 1, thumb on the safety. Other semi-autos should be prepared to be fired instantly. Insure you have ID'd your target and background.

If you have a revolver, and intend to use single-action first round, it should be cocked, finger off the trigger, until you're sure of your target and background. If you're sure of your double-action skills, be prepared to shoot that way from the first round. All the previous depends on how you've trained.

You are not required to determine the perp's intentions. You should be acting in response to the threat level presented to you and/or your loved ones. Shoot to stop the threat. Continue until you are satisfied there is no further threat from the perp.
Old June 30, 2009, 05:21 PM   #4
p99guy

Wise Guy Method:
*Drag the old roll of carpet from the garage, and go get the shovel (*void where prohibited, option not availible in Alaska and Hawaii, and actual mileage may vary) Baada Boom, Baada Bing

otherwise, just do what Dennis said...
Old June 30, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
w_houle

Quote:
A what?
Old June 30, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Russ5924

Just learn to shoot both SA and DA practice makes perfect
Old June 30, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
azredhawk44

Quote:
a Perp

I'm not equipped to know if he's a "perp."

I only know whether he's a threat to me or not.

DA revolver with a threat in my house? Sure... I'd make certain first shot was DA.
Old June 30, 2009, 06:00 PM   #8
ninjatoth

Quote:
Quote:
A what?
perp (pûrp)
n. Slang
One who perpetrates a crime.
Old June 30, 2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Daryl

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
a Perp

I'm not equipped to know if he's a "perp."

I only know whether he's a threat to me or not.

DA revolver with a threat in my house? Sure... I'd make certain first shot was DA.
If (s)he's in your house illegally, (s)he's a perp that's committed a minimum of B&E, and probably burglary.

But as you indicated, that's irrelevant. You shoot to end the threat of serious bodily injury or death; no threat, don't shoot.
Old June 30, 2009, 06:18 PM   #10
ninjatoth

I over exaggerated a simple question in my original post,but what I simply want to know is,if I see a BG in my house,do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????
Old June 30, 2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????
That depends on you and your comfort handling your revolver.

It would be a hell of a thing to shoot someone as he was laying down on your floor with his hands over his head.
Old June 30, 2009, 06:44 PM   #12
SP Shop Foreman

Daryl +1

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old June 30, 2009, 07:22 PM   #13
maustypsu

NO

I would not cock my revolver. If you need to use, you will likely be close enough that you should feel comfortable using DA. I always shoot revolvers in DA for atleast some portion of my range time, both slow and rapid fire.

Too many things can go wrong with SA in that situation and not enough can go right to make it worth the risk.
Old June 30, 2009, 07:41 PM   #14
srt 10 jimbo

Would Cock it and say freeze, If he comes at me, oh well.
Old June 30, 2009, 07:42 PM   #15
EnoughGUN

perp

Um... neither?
First of all I would not "go investigate" Why would you? You hear a noice and believe it is possible one or more criminals have entered your house. You decide to go stick your hiend end into it? No thanks. Why put yourself in danger when you don't have to? I would lock my bedroom door (after gathering family is needed) get my firearm and all the police. If the guy or guys tried to enter the room I would say I am armed and if they enter I will shoot them. I'm going to defend myself but not going to go look for trouble. Especially over a TV.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:09 PM   #16
w_houle

Quote:
If (s)he's in your house illegally, (s)he's a perp bad guy that's committed a minimum of B&E, and probably burglary.

But as you indicated, that's irrelevant. You shoot to end the threat of serious bodily injury or death; no threat, don't shoot.
There you go, FTFY... free of charge
Perp?.. sorry, it's just that it sounded a little to Gecko45 for my taste:barf:
Old June 30, 2009, 08:14 PM   #17
VHinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughGUN
Um... neither?
First of all I would not "go investigate" Why would you? You hear a noice and believe it is possible one or more criminals have entered your house. You decide to go stick your hiend end into it? No thanks. Why put yourself in danger when you don't have to? I would lock my bedroom door (after gathering family is needed) get my firearm and all the police. If the guy or guys tried to enter the room I would say I am armed and if they enter I will shoot them. I'm going to defend myself but not going to go look for trouble. Especially over a TV.
Amen. Great post, and it should not have taken 15 posts for someone to answer this way.

Despite being well trained in building clearing in a prior career/life, it's high on my list of things not to do unless absolutely necessary, and the only reason I would consider it necessary is if I have to do it to get to my daughter. Clearing a building by yourself is a great way to get yourself killed, and I for one am certainly not doing it for anything that money can replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth
what I simply want to know is,if I see a BG in my house,do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????
Turn off the NYPD Blue reruns, put down the remote, and back slowly away. In all seriousness, please consider investing in some quality training from a reputable instructor.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:19 PM   #18
trex1310

If someone was in my house they would be shot, no questions asked. Its
perfectly legal in this state. Its a risk of the burglar business.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:48 PM   #19
Opinated

My worst encounter was a bit different. Dan Wesson 357 with 2 1/2" barrel. A recovered (so I thought) druggie with whom I was involved in a business deal went wild and threatened me while advancing. I pulled and pointed the revolver- no effect. When I cocked it, he stopped. Finally he left. I never saw him again.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:52 PM   #20
JED1177

First.....what kind of television is it?
Old June 30, 2009, 09:01 PM   #21
only1najeep

I've gone to investigate a noise downstairs and it was like second nature for me to cock the hammer on my gp100 in order to be prepared for the possability of encountering a threat.
NRA range safety officer
Old June 30, 2009, 09:38 PM   #22
Rugerdoug

Home Owner goes to jail for killing intruder

http://www.katu.com/news/local/49463862.html
Old June 30, 2009, 09:52 PM   #23
skydiver3346

Intruder is shot in home:

Just read the article. They had both in the same bar drinking earlier. Wow, that must have been some powerful brewskies they were downing. Probably drunk as hell and started arguing about why he was in the shooter's home. Either way, seems to me that this situation is very strange indeed. Also, there was nothing mentioned about a break in or forced entry, so someone must have left the doors in the home unlocked?? Weird scenario for sure.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:55 PM   #24
SAIGAFISH

I believe that guy went to jail becuase he shot sleeping drunk
guy.not a threat
Old June 30, 2009, 10:15 PM   #25
OldMarksman
Staff

Let's say you hear a noise in the middle of the night somewhere in your house,so you get your revolver and go investigate,...

EnoughGUN and VHinch nailed it. You do not do that!

Quote:
Do you cock your gun or not?
No!

Do not take this the wrong way, but you should get some training.
Closed Thread

Tags
double single action