The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
old_ironsights

I either stole it, or screwed myself.

Bought it on gunbroker $205.00. I enjoy uncommon weapons as my Bernardellis, Benelli, etc. This Mamba caught my eye. I made the minimum bid and got it.

Now when I figure out what the hell to do with it...

Old July 11, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Te Anau

I love orphans as well.I've never seen a Mamba in person.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
curt.45

looks like a Smith&Wesson copy
Old July 11, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
SouthpawShootr

Screwed yourself? I doubt it. If it's a decent quality pistol, $205 is great if you're shooting. There's one on GunsAmerica for nearly $900. I have no experience with them nor have I ever seen one before. So, the ultimate answer to your question is........a question: Are you happy with it?
Old July 11, 2009, 07:44 PM   #5
bigghoss

while I don't know anything about them I'd guess $200 is a fair price. especially if you like unique.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Zilmo

Don't know a thing about them, but I like it! $200 beans isn't squat.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:32 PM   #7
PT111

Are you trying to sell it already. If so you have a good markup on it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/906895534...mm_Pistol.htm#
Old July 11, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
looks like a Smith&Wesson copy
Make that "like the love child of a S&W and a 1911".

Interesting. Never seen or heard of this before.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 11, 2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Sevens

I certainly do see the S&W influence, but look again and just try to tell me that there isn't also a little bit of Colt Double Eagle styling cues on that pistol. Look at the curved trigger guard, the frame mounted safety with the corresponding cutout in the slide and those odd shiny black plastic grips. Add the forward leaning serrations and I'm seeing Double Eagle.

I have never heard of a Mamba pistol... but if I ran in to that at a gunshow, I'd have to handle it and inspect it at that low price. If I liked what I saw upon inspection, there's no doubt I'd spend two hundred bucks on that.
Old July 11, 2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Skan21

Quote:
Collectors item only. Navy Arms recommended these not be fired. Appears to have been made in the United States. Please read IMPORTANT NOTICE posted below. Please provide your email address with all communications.This is not an auction. Low-ball offers will not be considered.

I pulled that off the GunsAmerica web site underneath that auction for the mamba.And that was for the $900 pistol! I'd have it checked out before you put rounds through it. Other than that, it's a good looking pistol.
Old July 11, 2009, 10:51 PM   #11
James K
Staff

The Blue Book says "manufactured by Viper Co., a division of Sandck Austral, Boksburg, South Africa...designed in Rhodesia, manufacture was not successful due to the use of non-hardened steel used in the investment cast construction process, poor exterior finish, less than 80 were imported into the U.S., and 25 prototypes were built for Navy Arms." They add, "Rarity factor precludes accurate pricing and values vary greatly in different regions."

(In spite of the picture caption, none would have been made BY Navy Arms, which never had production facilities.)

As I recall, they were given writeups in the gunzines, but I can't put a date on that. They grew out of the UN embargo imposed on shipping arms to South Africa at that time, with the result that the SA government encouraged local arms production. I don't know how many of those pistols were actually made, but they certainly are rare in this country and worth much more than the amount mentioned.

Jim
Old July 12, 2009, 07:13 AM   #12
PT111

Doesn't sound like you got screwed at all but what are you going to do with it? Donate it to a museum for a $3,000 tax write off since it is a collectable.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Uncle Buck

LoL - I love oddballs. If I had asked my buddy what to do with it, he would tell me, like he has with every other odd ball I have, "Sell it."

Enjoy it. You have a unique piece here.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:46 AM   #14
Samuel2001

Clean it! Take more pictures of the beast and go shoot it for crying out loud!

That thing looks sweet! Hope it shoots!

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old July 13, 2009, 07:32 AM   #15
old_ironsights

PT111 writes "Are you trying to sell it already. If so you have a good markup on it."

No, PT111, I am not a dealer on gunsamerica, I have no intention of selling, and I am impressed with (1) the price on gunsamerica and (2) your cynicism.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:43 AM   #16
Sarge43

It would seem that a bead blasting would do wonders for appearances. Very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing the pics/story, and good luck with it!
Sarge
Old July 13, 2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Steve1911

CHECK THIS OUT...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=365430
Old July 13, 2009, 11:20 AM   #18
PT111

Quote:
PT111 writes "Are you trying to sell it already. If so you have a good markup on it."

No, PT111, I am not a dealer on gunsamerica, I have no intention of selling, and I am impressed with (1) the price on gunsamerica and (2) your cynicism

I just noticed that what looked like the same picture on the ad as you posted. I have seen people do this and no insult to you at all.

About the donating it to a museum. If you make a gun and donate it to a museum you can only take the actual cost of the materials off your taxes as a donation. However you can sell it to me and I can donate it and value it at whatever the apprasial may be. This was a good trick used by some people with paintings. Buy one for $500, get an appraisal of $25,000 and donated it. They can write the full $25,000 off their taxes.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:05 PM   #19
curt.45

Quote:
I certainly do see the S&W influence, but look again and just try to tell me that there isn't also a little bit of Colt Double Eagle styling cues on that pistol

well smear me with Vaseline and tie me to Rachael Welsh if you ain't right!
Old August 2, 2009, 01:46 PM   #20
UltraMange

Selling now?

Old thread, I know, but I still take the chance to wonder if you have any intention of selling the Mamba now, cause I really want one?
Old August 2, 2009, 04:16 PM   #21
old_ironsights

If you reeeeeeeally want a Mamba...

A well-dealer named Bob Adams http://www.adamsguns.com/
in Albuquerque has one for sale on GB. His 'buy it now' price' is the same price listed on his site.

His auction for the Mamba is at
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=135771631