The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 27, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1
triman5

CZ Barrel Float

I bought a 452 lux in .22lr about 5 or 6 years ago to teach my kids how to shoot. I hadn't shot rifles since I was a kid. I'm a shotgunner. My girls all tolerated dad's training but never showed any real interest in the rifle so I didn't pay much attention to it. The boy recently began to express some interest so we went out, he loved it, and we have been to the range regularly.

I needed a second gun and I liked the 452 so well I got a 527 American Varmint in .223. Have had lots of fun shooting. I'm all excited tonight because I floated both barrels today and they both came out great. They were awful with wood touching all over the place. I've never tried anything like this. It was not difficult and it took me an hour or so with each to open up about .008 clearance. The barrel taper on the varmint stock took a little more patience. I read all the posts and looked at the pictures on the forums and basically followed directions. I'm all excited to see if they shoot any different tomorrow at the range. I have high hopes, of course.

I had a spot of trouble getting the magazine retaining clip reseated in the spring, which is attached to the receiver. But a .005 feeler to keep the edge of the clip from hanging on the bottom of the spring did the trick. Fun stuff. I'm hooked.
Old July 11, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2
banditt007

Very nice gun. I picked up a 452 american and while there wasn't wood touching the barrel all over, at the front there was. Apparently its typical for the 452's to have wood touching at the front of the barrel especially the right side. which was the case for mine. I sanded that out and am 1 coat away from sealing up w/ wood with some spar varnish. I went a little crazy with giving the barrel/stock enough clearance and sanded out enough that the barrel is free floated with 3 index cards all the way to the receiver. It does not look bad at all, and was a satisfying little project. I have not yet been able to shoot it since, i think it will help accuracy greatly. These guns are what .22's should be. not cheap plastic toys. full(er) sized and good wood and metal!
Old July 11, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
sholling

They are very nice 22s.
Old July 12, 2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Telgriff

I have a 452 lux also, let me know if floating the barrel does help at all. Its something I have considered.
Old July 12, 2009, 02:00 PM   #5
chris in va

My x39 carbine is floated from the factory. They don't do that with all models?
Old July 12, 2009, 05:53 PM   #6
thallub

Quote:
My x39 carbine is floated from the factory. They don't do that with all models?

My CZ 527 American left hand was also floated from the factory. They did a good job too.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:02 PM   #7
slickab

cz

The CZ lux has a pillar on the barrel. How would you go about free floating the barrel with pillar, escutcheon and bolt in the way?
Old July 12, 2009, 08:06 PM   #8
fisherman66

How did they shoot before you floated? Did you use many different types of ammo?