The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 24, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
arkieron

higher visability front sight

I have a beretta 92 that shoots pretty well. I would like to increase the visability of the front sight in mostly outdoor shooting situations with fast target acquisition. Any suggestions?
Old June 24, 2009, 12:37 PM   #2
drail

Go to a hobby shop and buy a bottle of Testor's enamel in bright yellow. Apply one tiny drop with a toothpick.
Old June 25, 2009, 06:33 AM   #3
arkieron

I will give the paint a try. Thank you.
Old June 26, 2009, 02:24 PM   #4
drail

If you like the way it works consider having a small shallow ball cut (or drill) into the sight to keep the paint from coming off. But a drop with a toothpick is easy to do and if you don't like it you can remove it with your thumbnail. I actually prefer solid black sights for use on white plates, bowling pins, IPSC targets etc. , but for darker colored targets or shooting into a shaded berm the yellow is much faster to pick up and align. A lot of bright orange or red sights can glare so badly in direct sunlight it becomes hard to tell when it is perfectly centered if the sun is off to your side.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:16 PM   #5
asskickinpeanuts

front sight

I've had good luck with enamel nail polish (interpret that at your particular whim!). You can also get glow in the dark paint for guns. King's shooters supply in King of Prussia, PA has small vials. Or, if you want a lot, McMaster-Carr. Or some watch shops specialize in the high lume paint, too.
Old June 28, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Superhouse 15

Acrylic, like those the ladies use for fake fingernails, is easy and much more permanant than paint. It's also impervious to solvents and cleaners and such. You can buy a nice kit from Brownell's:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...GHT_INSERT_KIT

Or you can get the mix at any beauty supply-type place. I got a deal on pigments at a craft shop going out of business. Any well equipped hobby or craft place should have plenty of colors. It's so easy to do you can probably make up the money you spend by doing sights for your friend's guns at $5 or $10 a pop.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:51 AM   #7
sc928porsche

I mix my sight paint with epoxy. Actually, I color my epoxy.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
PetahW

If/when you get tired of repainting the front sight, or getting upset because the paint's gone astray when you pull that puppy in an emergency - take a look at the XS sights website, and their Big Dot front sights, available in two sizes.

Tags
beretta 92