The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
broski

NAA .22 mini revolver LR for carry.

I just bought a NAA .22 LR. mini revolver. Does anyone think that it would be a suitable alternative to carry or have experience carrying one for PD.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:33 PM   #2
smee78

I have one and carry it when nothing else works. The first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun.
Old June 24, 2009, 01:10 AM   #3
familywgn

+1 what smee78 said!
Beretta Neos .22
Old June 24, 2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Mosin44az

I admit those minis are appealing and have tried them in gun shops a number of times, but have never bought. Since you now have one, make sure to practice enough so you can handle it; the mini .22LR is so small I found it to be VERY difficult to grip and handle, and to cock the hammer. You might consider getting a bigger grip (I believe NAA offers these) if you find that to be the case.

If I get one, it will be either the Black Widow or the Magnum Pug, both are bigger with bigger grips.
Old June 24, 2009, 04:50 AM   #5
SamStafford

I agree with Mosin44az on this one.
Old June 24, 2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

I have one as well and have carried it for years in a backpocket holster. The problem with getting one with a larger grip is that is largely negates the tiny aspect of the gun between the added girth and length of the grips sizes other than bird's head. So once you start getting a bigger gun, it starts seriously encroaching size-wise on some of the small semis.

They are difficult to shoot well, but if you know what you are doing or cheap and put an optic on one (I did), you can hit a man-sized silhouette out at 50 yards. The small grip, short sight radius, oversized sight for the size of gun, and horrible trigger all work against you for making well placed shots, especially beyond point and shoot or contact distances.

The single action aspect of it and small size makes it hard to shoot swiftly, if you need quick shooting.

Quote:
The first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun.
Naw, the first rule of a gun fight is to not get shot. People often seem to think shooting outweighs all other needs of gunfighting but really shooting is just one of many means of trying to avoid getting shot.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:02 AM   #7
tomgun

too small

a couple of years ago there was an incident at the jersey shore, a LEO off duty was on the rides and lost his mini 22 right out of his pocket.
in usual jersey senero they locked down the rides and the search began.
a couple of hours later a kid turned it in to a cop, he thoughht it was a toy he found......too small
Old June 24, 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I have one... intended use was as a carry gun... I have carried it before, & agree about the practicing thing... I actually shoot mine pretty often, & have found that ammo choice effects POI quite a bit the high speed loads pictured here shoot about a foot high at 7 yards...regular bulk ammo is better to POA... I also want to try the heavy bullets but have not yet...

even though I have large hands, I find I can empty the gun pretty quickly in self defense drills, the recoil is minimal so I find I rock the little grip in the web of my hand, between the index finger & thumb, & only use a 1 finger ( index finger ) hold, & my groups are ok

mines a bit fancier than "normal" but I got it for use as a poker gun

"Snake Eyes" edition NAA mini

Old June 24, 2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Japle

I have the Freedom Arms version of that gun. I used to carry it as a backup before Kel-Tec came out with their P3AT. Now it's a safe queen.

A tiny .22 SA is better than your bare hands, but not much. If that was all I had, I'd carry it. The only thing worse would be a single-shot .22 Short Derringer.
Old June 24, 2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I have the 22 Mag/22LR 1 5/8 barrel version. I put the slip on rubber bird's head grips on it and it is a fine little gun as a Backup or just to get the mail.

As far as accuracy - for curiosity - I shot the older TX DPS CHL protocol with the blue bottle shaped target a few years ago. Score was 230. I had some shots outside the target area at the longer distances.

It's not hard to hit a target.

I also shot it with a 22S NAA - now that stunk - about a 150 but that was without much practice with that little guy.

BTW - the 22 Mag is one of the loudest and biggest flash things I've shot in a handgun. BOOOM!
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old June 24, 2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Te Anau

Quote:
BTW - the 22 Mag is one of the loudest and biggest flash things I've shot in a handgun. BOOOM!
I can imagine.I was shocked at how loud .22lr was in mine when I first pulled the trigger.
Old June 24, 2009, 02:00 PM   #12
MR.G

I have the maginum with both cylinders, and the smaller .22 lr. Very well made little guns that I wouldn't hesitate to carry when ultimate concealment is necessary.
Old June 24, 2009, 02:47 PM   #13
doc540

Carry my NAA .22WMR when I can't carry the Colt.

5yds

Old June 24, 2009, 05:16 PM   #14
bigghoss

I have a .22 mag. It's only slightly better than a good knife in my opinion.

I just held a ruger lcp the other day and that thing is small enough you should be able to hide it anywhere you could hide the NAA, plus it holds 2 more rounds of a far more potent caliber. and it's only about $100 bucks more. I plan on getting one soon.
Old June 24, 2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Superhouse 15

I had carried a mini in .22mag for a while as a BUG. It fit in my back pocket next to a 1911 magazine. They both held each other in position and you had the choice of "New York Reload" or grabbing the spare mag. My ex carried a NAA mini with a floding grip as a BUG in uniform. She carried it in a spare handcuff case. I carried Winchester JHP in the magnum because it was in stock. She carried Winchester 42gr shilouette and then Aguila SSS because the Stingers and light stuff keyholed.

I bought a Kel Tec .32 and she got mandated for .380 or larger only. They get mostly used for shotshells while bumming around the woods nowadays. It wouldn't be my first choice for SD anyway, but it is a gun. It approaches the good luck charm theory of SD, though. Any gun is better than none.
Old June 24, 2009, 05:42 PM   #16
Jeremiah/Az

I have the Freedom Arms version.It has killed many rattlesnake with snakeshot.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:45 PM   #17
PetahW

I own/shoot/CCW several different NAA mini's, in .22 Short, LR, and Mag in regular Mini & Black Widow configs.

ALL mine have small birdshead grips.

I've found that the key to successfully shooting any of them, w/o an oversize grip, is to hold the gripframe in one closed fist, while working the hammer/trigger with the off hand.

Old June 24, 2009, 07:01 PM   #18
broski

thanks for all the replies!
Old June 24, 2009, 07:56 PM   #19
w_houle

I had the Freedom Arms version with a belt buckle holster and my dad had the NAA. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the turquoise grips were hard to hold on to.
Old June 25, 2009, 06:09 PM   #20
Hokie

I carry mine (using the WMR cylinder) all the time. Not only can it easily fit into any pocket, but it looks more "organic" than a P-3AT if it prints.

One thing I've done is to carry one (or two if in the woods) rounds of snakeshot and the rest FMJ; I have the FMJ first if for protection against criminals and the shotshells if for small animals. I've also picked up a set of grips from Dark Sun in Richmond, VA that have a belt clip screwed on. It gives you another option for carrying and the clip itself actually helps provide a better grip.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:24 PM   #21
ChiefTJS

I've got both a .22lr version and a .22Mag version and like them both quite a bit. While no, it's not going to be a hardcore combat weapon, they do provide a level of comfort in a dark parking lot at 3am. As a trucker, I find myself in these situations and like having "A little something" with me.

I'd heartily recommend a lot of rounds of practice with them, you have to find out what works for you with them.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:27 PM   #22
PT111

I have the WMR version and find it suprisingly accurate. For those who say it is only a little better than a knife that is only true if you are talking a bowie knife within 3 feet.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:31 PM   #23
Wildalaska

Excellent little carry gun,. the average armed Joe doesnt need more than that

WildifyoudontloseitAlaska ™
Old June 28, 2009, 05:21 PM   #24
sharpblade

I carry this one around my neck.
Old June 28, 2009, 05:58 PM   #25
bigghoss

not sure I'm crazy about the idea of having the gun point at my neck/head while I'm drawing

Tags
naa