The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 22, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
hibylittle8

Ruger 30 caliber carbine pistol

My dad has one of these and i am going to get to shoot it soon as we find shells for it i think it is a neet gun what do you guys think of this gun My dad said it is a torture to shoot and he says he cant hit anything with it Again it is a ruger blackhawk 30 caliber carbine pistol
Old June 22, 2009, 04:57 PM   #2
publius

neat gun, but LOUD. Do not shoot w/o hearing protection.
Old June 22, 2009, 04:58 PM   #3
doug66

My dad used to have one, plenty accurate. WEAR EAR PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 22, 2009, 05:04 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I have one; it's very accurate, and fun to shoot. It's also the loudest gun I own.

The only thing I don't like about it is some brands of factory ammo and most of my reloads are hard to eject because the cases are tapered and they wedge into the chambers when fired.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Tom2

Well it is firing a carbine cartridge, full of slow burning powder and producing alot of pressure. But, if you had loading dies for that cartridge, I would assume you could load it down alot to be more like a handgun cartridge, even use lead bullets instead of jacketed, and make it sort of a .32 magnum equivalent, or even down to 32 Smith and Wesson performance, even though it is a 30 instead of a 32, not a great difference there. So you are stuck with 308 sized bullets but unless the rifling pitch is too slow to stabilise slower loads, that might be a way to make a fun plinker out of a fireball blasting ear buster. I wonder how the Russian steel cased carbine ammo would behave in that thing. Maybe the cases would not expand as much and not stick in the chambers? Or would steel be a bad idea. Need input on that one.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:01 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Quote:
I wonder how the Russian steel cased carbine ammo would behave in that thing. Maybe the cases would not expand as much and not stick in the chambers? Or would steel be a bad idea. Need input on that one.
I'd like to try a box of Wolf ammo to see, but I can only find it in case-quantities, not individual boxes.

I load cast bullets in mine; they don't lead-up the barrel even at 1700+ fps. I don't know why, but I think it might be because they are carbine bullets and have rifle lube instead of pistol bullet lube (it's tan)
Old June 22, 2009, 10:18 PM   #7
smee78

You will have fun with this gun, I had mine cut down to 5 1/2" barrel because I could not stand the 7 1/2". It did not feel good in my hand and did not balance well for me.
Old June 23, 2009, 06:22 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

what these guys have all said... also keep away from the barrel cylinder gap... these are high pressure rounds... mines burned me a time or two when shooting off the bench... getting my hand or wrist too close to the gap... ( even a foot away can get you burned )

mine is plenty accurate...

I'd guess laquered steel cases would work fine, but I have not tried them in mine...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Pocketfisherman

I have one, and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Mine is very accurate with CMP surplus 30 carbine ammo. Like others stated, it is incredibly loud and will clear the adjacent lanes of an indoor range in short order......which is why it brings a smile to my face every time you pull the trigger.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
tmd11111

I had one years ago and I regret ever selling it. It's fairly accurate and super LOUD. At indoor reages it makes quit a fire ball out of the muzzle. I never got around to shooting reloads that were tailored to it but I have heard that they are very accurate. In fact when I get back from Iraq in 7 more weeks I plan on getting another one.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

take care in Iraq, & hope you get your blackhawk when you get back...
Old June 23, 2009, 11:10 AM   #12
Cooperhawk

I have actually found that it isn't that its so loud, although it certainly is loud, but the tremendous pressure it builds up when fired. You most certainly need ear protection. I used to wear the "Sonic" ear plugs and they didn't do the job. You need muffs.

Shoot it at night. You will enjoy the fireworks.
(RETIRED)
Old September 8, 2009, 06:41 PM   #13
flyingcubby

36 years ago my wife bought me a Ruger 30 carbine for a Xmas present and I was thrilled. Over the years I have shot it off and on and it is by far my favorite to shoot,especially at dusk because of the muzzle blast, even with reduced loads.Like all have said wear double ear protection please.
Old September 8, 2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Hook686

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aastruger30bh.htm

nice information that you might find helpful. Oh, did anyone tell you it is really loud and generates a significant pressure wave ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:47 PM   #15
p99guy

I found with mine , that some of the chambers in the cylinder were rougher than others, and that promotes cases sticking. Polishing does help with the ejecting of spent cases with the rod. Accuracy is just fine, and I have a Burris 2x pistol scope on mine, and Hogue rubber grips...makes it a pussycat to shoot, even though it is a bit loud.
Old September 8, 2009, 11:16 PM   #16
zxcvbob

I read somewhere that shooting steel-cased Wolf ammo helps smooth the chambers so the cartridges aren't so hard to extract. I bought 2 boxes; shot one of 'em and it seemed to help.

Mostly I shoot very hot handloads using plain-based lead bullets. I *really* like Berry's plated bullets in this gun, but they've gotten way too expensive. (Went way up when lead quadrupled in price, never really came down when lead got cheap again. They got rid of the lead surcharge as it was dropping and so locked in the price increase)
Old September 9, 2009, 04:11 AM   #17
Dr Raoul Duke

The Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine is a very nice revolver for varmint and other small animal hunting. The only limitation I have seen is a lack of suitable jacketed bullets for reloading it. The solution is casting bullets, and Lyman has a good selection to do that. You will want to cast your bullets hard, either Lyman #2 mixture or Linotype, to keep it from leading at the higher velocities. It performs very much like the .32-20 out of a long barreled Colt New Frontier. A side note is that the first shooting I was in as a police officer was during a traffic stop, and the guy tried to shoot me with a .30 Carbine Blackhawk that he pulled from under his car seat. Maybe he thought that is he had to shoot against a cop, the cop would be wearing a ballistic vest, because the Ruger was loaded with military "black tip" AP ammunition. God was looking after me that night.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Gonzo Forever
Old September 9, 2009, 06:38 AM   #18
Claude Clay

the pistol and the carbine are loaded differently.
DO NOT fire the carbine rounds in the pistol.

verify with Lyman's 49th or another loading manual
for the correct loading formulas. also at the gun store they may [or may not] have ammo marked 'pistol'. if the box has 'carbine' on it than you can chamber it in a pistol but it is not safe for you to fire it. it may not ka-boom the gun but it will shoot-it-loose.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 9, 2009, 07:09 AM   #19
MosinM38

Hm.

To me it didn't seem that much worse than a .357 Mag noise wise.

But they are neat guns. FLAT shooter that's for sure, and accurate.

Dad's got one and 80 rounds of ammo (2 boxes....I keep telling him to buy some more). But a neat gun to have.

Thing is, he didn't really want/need it. He got it so he'd have a blackhawk of every caliber (.30, .350, .41, .44, .45).
Old September 9, 2009, 08:09 AM   #20
Singlesix1954

A buddy of mine casts bullits for his out of wheelrights. Puts H110 behind it. I'll try to get the correct loading data for you. I know he loves the noisy thing.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old September 9, 2009, 08:18 AM   #21
Wleoff

Here's one of my M1 Carbines with a Blackhawk, both in 30 Carbine. I picked up, last year, at the CMP South Store, two cases of 30 Carbine ammo. I think that I'm down to half a case. Seems that if I carry either the Blackhawk or M1 Carbines to the range, everyone has to shoot them.

Old September 9, 2009, 08:35 AM   #22
Sevens

Quote:
My dad said it is a torture to shoot
Can't understand what about it would be considered "torture" other than the noise. Ask him-- maybe that's what he meant. Noisy, no doubt. But torture? This huge, heavy, long barrelled behemoth has VERY little recoil. It's 44 ounces unloaded!
Quote:
He got it so he'd have a blackhawk of every caliber (.30, .350, .41, .44, .45).
He ain't done yet! How about the .38/40 & 10mm convertible Buckeye version?
Quote:
the pistol and the carbine are loaded differently.
DO NOT fire the carbine rounds in the pistol.

verify with Lyman's 49th or another loading manual
for the correct loading formulas. also at the gun store they may [or may not] have ammo marked 'pistol'. if the box has 'carbine' on it than you can chamber it in a pistol but it is not safe for you to fire it. it may not ka-boom the gun but it will shoot-it-loose.
I won't argue that a load manual such as the Lyman will list different loading data for the revolver over the carbine and vice versa, (they'll do that to get the most out of the barrel length) but I don't believe the rest of what you wrote has any basis in fact.
If you think that it does, please cite some references.

Ruger built this gun to handle Govt Issue surplus ammo left over from the 50s and 60s. That's the entire reason they built it. There's no way I'm going to buy the argument that it can't handle carbine or rifle ammo without some kind of published evidence of such.

Furthermore, please show an image of any box of ammo from any manufacturer from any time in history that's marked for use in rifles and not handguns, or in handguns and not rifles.

SAAMI spec for .30 Carbine ammo is 40,000 psi.
SAAMI spec for .357 Mag is 35,000 psi.
The cylinder diameter on my .30 Carb -- with a .30 cal hole for each chamber instead of a .358" one. The meat on this cylinder is just this side of ridiculous.

If I had a .44 Mag Blackhawk, I'd be willing to bet that the cylinder is pretty close to the same OD as on that one. .44 Mag runs at 36,000 psi.

There's no way that a .30 Carb Ruger Blackhawk can't handle carbine .30 M1 ammo. No way is that true. Sticky cases? Absolutely. But the gun is built around GI ammo. That's full-powered, 40,000 psi hardball.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:48 AM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

I've fired many many hundred factory & military surplus 30 carbine "rifle" rounds through my revolver over the years... before I started handloading for the cartridge... my current loads are just as high a pressure round as the rifles, but use faster powders for better efficiency out of the shorter barrel...

that "higher than 357 mag pressure" is why I've gotten burned a couple times from the barrel cylinder gap shooting off the bench... the gun is plenty strong enough, that it will not shoot loose using factory ammo...
Old September 9, 2009, 08:57 AM   #24
CraigC

Nothing you can stuff in a .30Carbine Blackhawk will hurt it, short of packing the cases full of plastic explosives. Put it this way, the .327Federal is comparable in size and runs over 40,000psi and is fully safe in a six shot Single Six.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:07 AM   #25
zxcvbob

Quote:
Nothing you can stuff in a .30Carbine Blackhawk will hurt it, short of packing the cases full of plastic explosives. Put it this way, the .327Federal is comparable in size and runs over 40,000psi and is fully safe in a six shot Single Six.
You can sure ruin your brass though, with the primers falling out after one use, or the case heads coming off. (BTDT) The gun doesn't care, it'll shoot anything, but I've backed off the powder a little bit.