The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2009, 11:15 AM   #76
w_houle

1993, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.
We crawled down one lane, came over, and then crawled up onto a firing M-60 firing 1 in 5 tracer mix. The shots were going about 3' over our heads. Just so long as everyone is doing like they are supposed to, then what's the problem?
Old June 26, 2009, 11:19 AM   #77
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I bet that ft.sill incident is following a lot of previous official military training. Just a guess....
I still say if you want photo ops on a live fire range, you could opt for remotely operated gear. Then if something goes wrong yer out a simple replaceable camera and motorized mount... No one would have their mental stability jeopardized for shooting a BTDT camera feller!

Brent
Old June 26, 2009, 11:48 AM   #78
w_houle

My last post was my knee jerk reaction, then I read some more and drew a different conclusion.
Old June 26, 2009, 04:03 PM   #79
Creature

Quote:
So until people start getting hurt, no doubt his school will remain in business.
So my question remains: undoubtedly no-liability waivers are being signed before commencement of any training. But is a school like this required to carry some kind of insurance, permit or license?
Old June 26, 2009, 04:27 PM   #80
TailGator

I have been told that no waiver is valid against overt negligence. Lawyers?
Old June 26, 2009, 10:30 PM   #81
ranburr

Quote:
1993, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.
We crawled down one lane, came over, and then crawled up onto a firing M-60 firing 1 in 5 tracer mix. The shots were going about 3' over our heads. Just so long as everyone is doing like they are supposed to, then what's the problem?
Having been someone who actually fired those M60s, I can tell you that it was from an elevated position and the rounds were actually closer to 20ft above your head. The illusion of rounds being closer than they really were was courtesey of a combination of darkness, smoke, noise, stress, fatigue, and shouting Drill Sgts.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:53 AM   #82
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I don't have a link to the SW accident. I know the guy's brother. But just info, at a local match the other day an IPSC type put one through his kneecap. So even experienced folks do slip up, another example.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter