The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 19, 2009, 01:53 PM   #26
PT111

I once posted a similar question on a different board and was called everything from an idiot to a troll. But to answer your question, I doubt it and except in rare cases no. IMHO only.
Old June 20, 2009, 06:31 AM   #27
RDak

In Michigan you are generally protected from civil suits in your type of situation.

I've been told by an attorney that that doesn't apply to accidently shooting a bystander though.
Old June 20, 2009, 08:52 AM   #28
Marty Hayes

Just because there is a statute saying a person is immune from civil suit, doesn't mean the statute is constitutional, and if someone wants to push it, you become the the test case. For example, you shoot and kill an armed robber. No criminal charges are pressed, but you are sued. The suit is thrown out because of the newly enacted statute, but the family of the deceased appeals.

The appellate court decides that people should have the right to sue, regardless of what the prosecutor thinks, so you end up back in court. You appeal the appellate court decision to the state's supreme court, and loose that case too.

Bottom line, is you have now spend $20k on legal fees, before you even start arguing whether or not you were justified.
Old June 20, 2009, 08:57 AM   #29
shortwave

Quote:
Either consult an attorney or learn to read your states laws and cases
Although you may have felt that answer was a bit short, IMO it`s one of the best here. Unless you just want to chat about laws and get opinions, given the severity of the question, your best advise IS seeking professional help in Texas. Remember 'you get what you pay for' and all the legal services on the internet is free(including mine).
Old June 21, 2009, 01:28 AM   #30
DougO83

Quote:
How is that useless? Do you mean to tell me you would stake your liberty and all you own on the so-called expert advice proffered by strangers and laymen on an internet site?

That was the soundest advice posted here, in addition to Mr. Roberts' posting of the relevant Texas statute. Consult someone in your area who actually knows the law.

You might just thank the gentleman and go your way
Actually, all that particular did was post the LCD answer. It would be the equivalent of a librarian telling me "well, look on the shelves" if I asked for a particular resource. Basically,unhelpful and just and excuse to "participate" in a discussion. No kidding I need to look around and research. This is part of that. I already knew that part. I am not 'staking my liberty" or anything else on the internet. I asked if there was such a statute as I had heard rumor of one and could not come up with anything of true relevance. Actually, Mr. Roberts' post is the only one that was helpful. Now I have an actual statute, that's what my OP was about by the way, to work with and continue gathering information...

Matt 6:33