The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 23, 2009, 04:20 PM   #26
armsmaster270

Shotgun Winchester 1897 lever action 10 gauge
Rifle Winchester 44-40 Lever
Pistol Colt 44-40 Peacemaker
Old June 23, 2009, 05:52 PM   #27
Bigbadgun

the Year is 1862

I would have a pair of .36 cal 1851 colts on my belt.
I would have a '51 cut down to 4.5 under my arm.
10 gauge double barrel and a Remington Revolving Carbine
And then just for GP's a Pepperbox in the saddle bags.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns."
Old June 23, 2009, 07:31 PM   #28
mavracer

1880s I'd want the originals of what I use for CAS a pair of SAAs and a '73 winchester all in 38WCF and a 1878 colt shotgun with a Sharps for the long range stuff.If at all possible can I have a bunch of 180gr Speer short barrel Golddots
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 23, 2009, 07:46 PM   #29
Hawg

I take it none of y'all are gonna be cowpokes totin alla that hardware.
Old June 24, 2009, 02:14 AM   #30
cloud8a

I would have been a cowpoke if I could. But I would be heeled. If I know what I know now, I would have to do some traveling. Go over to Lincoln county New Mexico and witness the Lincoln County War, but you have to be armed with a variety of weapons even if you wanted to hang around and watch history. There is no telling how they would treat strangers.

I could blend in once I made it to Tombstone to watch those events unfold, but would keep my Russian inside the shoulder just the same.

I would probably shed all arms except a knife once in Fort Worth to see Luke Short shoot Jim Courtwright.
Old June 24, 2009, 04:04 AM   #31
SamStafford

I would have two, 1858 Remmys in .44 strapped to each side of my legs.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:06 AM   #32
MJN77

My 7 1/2" 1851 navy conversion and 66 winchester.
Old June 27, 2009, 04:18 PM   #33
CaptainCrossman

Quote:
It is the 1800's, what are you carrying? Assuming you had the money to buy them. What would you carry out on the range? What would you carry in town? Would you be a gambler, a cowboy, a buisinesman, and while in a town that prohibitied the carrying of firearms like Dodge City, would you carry anyway.

heck that's easy, Peacemaker 45 cal. on the hip, out on the range add a Winchester, preferably the 1886 model. In town, with prohibited carry, that depends on who/how tough the sheriff is. If it's the sheriff from "High Plains Drifter", I'd ignore the ordinance. If it's the sheriff from "Unforgiven", little Bill, then you either have to kill him and all his deputies, or hand over your gun and best not carry.

If the sheriff was Wild Bill Hickock, I'd not carry...he's too good a shot !
Old June 28, 2009, 07:58 AM   #34
DrLaw

Man, isn't anybody going to be populating the cities here? You all are so out on the range that it leaves the whole east open for me, SUPER LAWYER!!!!

I carry a Book of Laws, dispensing justice and of course, etc..., etc..., etc...

Oh, okay, I suppose depending on the era, a pocket pistol appropriate to the era or a sword cane.

The Doc is out now.
Old June 29, 2009, 08:00 AM   #35
Dave Gafvert

What I would be packen is a ...

Merwin Hulbert square butt 3rd model in 44-40 and a Winchester 73 carbine
also in 44-40. Why, because the Merwin can be reloaded in 22 seconds and
this combo sure cuts down on the amout of ammo you would have to carry.
I have been doing repair work on Merwins for 27 years and they were light
years ahead of Colt's and Remington's etc, etc. S&W American's are right up
with the MH BUT the 44 American cartridge cannot compair with the 44-40
ballisticly. Cheers
Old June 29, 2009, 08:15 AM   #36
freakshow10mm

Peacemaker in 45 Colt 5 inch
Henry 44
Old June 29, 2009, 11:29 AM   #37
Dave Gafvert

Packen iorn

Hi DrLaw. My lawyer packs a 1911. That's why he's my lawyer
Old June 30, 2009, 01:40 AM   #38
cloud8a

DRLAW
"Oh, okay, I suppose depending on the era, a pocket pistol appropriate to the era or a sword cane."

A pocket pistol and a sword cane? I think I would steer away from you no matter how heeled I was.

That sounds like a person with a bad disposition, especially at the card table. Everyone else has heavy duty weapons and you got a sword cane and a pocket pistol!

I like that because it scares me for some reason. I think in a fight between a guy with the Walker and the Winchester I would bet on the guy with the sword cane and pocket pistol. Because I would go on the hunch that the latter knew somethings that the former did not.

that is just ooh creepy.
Old June 30, 2009, 02:48 AM   #39
BillCA

I'd probably stick to the mainstream. Colt SAA .45 and a Remington .41 rimfire derringer. Seemed to work for this guy...

Yeah, a good Winchester repeating rifle and in a saddlebag a 5½" Colt 1862 Police revolver. If it was post 1896, the saddle scabbard might hold one of those new-fangled rifles from Norway - a .30-40 Krag-Jørgensen.
Old June 30, 2009, 07:46 AM   #40
RamSlammer

Let's say its 1899

I'd have a Colt New Army double action revolver in .41 Colt and an 1895 Winchester in .30/40.
Old June 30, 2009, 10:36 AM   #41
Smokin_Gun

+1 & Kudos on the SAA and Paladin Holster Rig.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 30, 2009, 10:16 PM   #42
DrLaw

Quote:
That sounds like a person with a bad disposition, especially at the card table. Everyone else has heavy duty weapons and you got a sword cane and a pocket pistol!

I like that because it scares me for some reason.
Why, thank you sir. You are obviously a man of thought and distinction to have such elevated thinking. Please, set down and have a drink, my treat. Let's just sit here and watch these others give away their hands, shall we?

(heh heh heh)

The Doc is out now - and a survivor.
Old July 1, 2009, 07:25 AM   #43
Shotgun Willy

1860 Army in a slimjim holster, strong side. Belt knife (K-bar sized), carried weak side, and an 1874 Sharps.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:50 AM   #44
Nite Ryder

It's 1800's what I'm carrying is:

Well, I've been a Cowboy since I first started ridin' my own horse at about age 10. During my first cattle drive from Abilene, north to Kansas, I agreed to watch over the herd at night while the rest of the crew slept. I was paid a little extra for that work and saved up and bought a used Colt Single Action revolver with a 4-1/2" barrel, a few months later I bought a second used Colt that matched the first one. It was almost another 6 months before I was able to save enough money to buy a rifle. The rifle I choose was a used Winchester 73. Before I bought it, I made sure it used the same cartridges my two revolvers used. Sometime after buying that rifle I got a small double shot deringer, I couldn't buy one this time that used the same cartridges as my other three guns. Something else about this deringer, it was brand new. After the cattle drive I returned home to find a letter from my mother who lived in Nebraska. My father had died and left an almost new double barreled shotgun, with it was a box of shells that had only three shells missing. I continued watching livestock at night for several of the ranchers in and around Abilene. I enjoyed the work and was able to prevent some rustling from two different ranches. These two ranchers talked to other ranchers and soon they wanted to hire me to watch for rustlers. They talked the local Sheriff into giving me a deputy's job while they paid my wages. From that point on I was able to save up a great deal of my pay check, most of the ranchers wives were happy to feed me and I always had a decent place to spend my days. Shortly after the new lever action Winchester shotguns became available in 1887, I bought a brand new one. When the new Winchester pump shotgun arrived I bought the first one to arrive in our town, it was a beaut, the year was 1897. I'm darn old now, and looking back, I guess I'll have to say life was good, I got to do what I wanted to do. I made a lot of money for being just a Cowboy, most of my money I spent on guns and women, the rest I just wasted.

Nite Ryder

Last edited by Nite Ryder; July 4, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:09 AM   #45
cloud8a

drlaw
"Why, thank you sir. You are obviously a man of thought and distinction to have such elevated thinking. Please, set down and have a drink, my treat. Let's just sit here and watch these others give away their hands, shall we?"

I will take that offer sir. Always appreciating good drink bought by another feller. Especially a man with a mind like yourself.

They always say "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight." But you got to wonder about the man that brings a knife anyway, even though he knows the sayin.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:20 AM   #46
DrLaw

I know it's the movies, but...

Quote:
They always say "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight." But you got to wonder about the man that brings a knife anyway, even though he knows the sayin.
In the MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, James Coburn does fairly well in the gunfight with his switchblade. A blade was a handy thing to have in the olden days, even though most gunfights were from people shooting from behind or otherwise in ambush. The 'showdown' was pretty much a thing of Hollywood invention with the exception of William Hickock's Springfield, Mo. shooting.

Yes, sir, we shall watch the others and know what they are carrying as we sit, backs to the wall, enjoying whatever rotgut is being served and a genteel game of chance.

The Doc is out now.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:46 AM   #47
mavracer

Quote:
During my first cattle drive from Abilene, north to Kansas,
nice story,But you might change that to Austin as Abilene is in Kansas.
Old July 2, 2009, 09:02 AM   #48
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Caliber 44-40 (Texas tradition)

On me - two blue Colt SAA revolvers 4 5/8 barrel - engraved with ivory grips, and a Bowie knife with ivory scales.

On my horse - Winchester 73, some type of double-barrelled 12 guage, extra SAA in the saddle bag.

And I'd be a lawman of some sort, of course.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 2, 2009, 09:04 AM   #49
Big Ugly Tall Texan

There is also an Abilene in Texas

From Mavracer: "nice story,But you might change that to Austin as Abilene is in Kansas."

http://www.abilenetx.com/
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 2, 2009, 09:33 AM   #50
mavracer

Quote:
There is also an Abilene in Texas
that's great. but from your link
Quote:
Described as "the Future Great City of West Texas," Abilene was established in March 1881 upon the completion of the Texas & Pacific Railroad.
Abilene Kansas would have likely been his destination on his first cattle drive.
quoted from wiki

Quote:
However, as soon as 1867, a cattle shipping facility was built west of farm country around the railhead at Abilene, Kansas, and became a center of cattle shipping, loading over 36,000 head of cattle that year.[5] The route from Texas to Abilene became known as the Chisholm Trail,