The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 10, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Rossi vs Taurus revolvers

Is a rossi .38 revolver acceptable to use but just not as good quality as a taurus .38?

Also are the smith and wesson revolvers really worth the extra money, or are you fine with a taurus?

George Orwell
Old June 10, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
ninjatoth

Rossi Is made by taurus,so i'd have to say they are equal,but I own a rossi .357 and a taurus .22,and the rossi actually seems to be better quality than the taurus,but it's hard to compare two guns in two different calibers
Old June 10, 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Also are the smith and wesson revolvers really worth the extra money, or are you fine with a taurus?
Yes, Ruger's and S&Ws are worth the extra money over Taurus. Taurus's quality is pretty hit or miss and their CS is pretty terrible. I say this as a former Taurus owner (NIB M85) by the way, it was my first, and last Taurus, and it didn't make the 250 round mark before crapping out.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; June 11, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old June 10, 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Doyle

Even if Taurus weapons were made with halfway decent quality - I would't buy one for one simple reason. Up until a couple of years ago, there wasn't one gun they made that wasn't a ripped-off copy of some other manufacturer's mainline gun. Why would anybody EVER support a company that made a living making cheap copies of quality guns?
Old June 10, 2009, 07:36 PM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

IIRC, Rossi was bought out by Taurus. Their "pre-Taurus" guns have an excellent reputation, I'm not so sure about the current generation. Yes, a Smith, Colt or Ruger is worth the extra money, assuming you are buying it used. Aside from there being no new Colts, A new Smith is not nearly as good as the pre-lock variants (despite the lock) and a used Ruger is the same as a new Ruger, just cheaper and perhaps with a smoother trigger.

I bought one Charter Arms. Been back to factory twice. One was a minor fix, the other was a major issue and the owner even said, "Wow, I can't believe that made it out the door". It only cost me $300 but I could have gotten a used SP101 for a hundred bucks more and been far happier in all regards.

You get what you pay for, every time.
Old June 10, 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Elvishead

Quote:
"reliable as the day is long"
Good luck!
Old June 10, 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Jim March

Rossi is now Taurus' "budget model". Considering how "budget" Taurus is that's downright scary.

Sigh.

There are a LOT of good used S&W and Ruger wheelguns on the market. Pending a "checkout process" (see stickied thread, this forum), that's the way to go. On a budget? Great - just look harder for one with holster wear but still sound. There are TONS of those out there.
Old June 10, 2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Crankylove

I would have no issues with the older Rossi firearms, the new ones.........

The older Rossi guns were reliable and accurate (at least the ones I shot), but if you were looking for high quality finish, they weren't the guns for you.

The last few years of Rossi production look like they were made by Taurus to me, poor finish, poor relibility. And since Taurus has now purchased them, I would definitely stay away from them now. Just my opinion, but I have never been a fan of anything Taurus.
Old June 10, 2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Elvishead

Quote:
ninjatoth:

Rossi Is made by taurus,so i'd have to say they are equal,but I own a rossi .357 and a taurus .22,and the rossi actually seems to be better quality than the taurus,but it's hard to compare two guns in two different calibers
Today 11:19 AM
LOL,

really?
Old June 11, 2009, 12:04 AM   #10
MagnumWill

I saved the extra dough and got a NIB GP100 blued for the same price of a .357 Tracker in stainless. I picked the Ruger- and I haven't lost a wink of sleep over the Taurus.