The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 8, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Come and take it.

Quest for the quietest 22 rifle.

Firstly I have been doing this stuff for years. I have usually had to settle with using a 20 - 24 inch barrel rifle with cb longs to get the quiet noise I am looking for.

I also have a 22 caliber air rifle that shoots 800 fps. It is louder than my 22 rifles with cb longs. Of course the pellets are only half the weight and far short of the 30 + ft lbs I can get out of a CB long.

My goal has always been to get a gun with a long enough barrel to quiet down an Aquila SSS round to the noise level of the CB long. Of course bullet impact sound is impossible to silence.

Any one know of some mil training rifles out there with 28 inch plus inches? I am aware that barrels that long will slow the bullet some but I consider that acceptable. The goal being that the powder charge will be completely expended long before the bullet leaves the barrel.

What about taking conventional 22 shells and emptying the powder out so that a 36 to 40 grain bullet is propelled by primer gas alone?

Interested in hearing some input. Thanks.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Dingoboyx

Just get a silencer?

You could try reducing the powder in a 22 case, I dont think the primer alone would have enough kick to produce an accurate shot unless you use a really light projectile.

Have you tried subs?
Old June 8, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Come and take it.

I have tried PMC moderators, Remington subsonics, Aquila SSS and of course the CB long.

Moderators are the next quietest above the CB long from what I have seen.

22 shorts and longs usually push right up there really close to the speed of sound because of the light 29 grain bullet. When a projectile gets very close to the sound barrier (even if it doesnt break it) the noise level will spike.

I want some bullet weight for momentum and penetration.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Just duct tape an empty 2-liter soda bottle on the end of the barrel.

, no, don't just kidding.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:34 PM   #5
fisherman66

Quote:
Just get a silencer?
I'd love to, but I refuse to pay the idiot anti-noise pollution tax.

CATI, while I'm far from the final word, I suspect you will need a custom barrel. Kimber, Cooper and some of the other semi-custom shops could easily fix you up right, but at a price.

I find the big bore whisper type rifle interesting since you get some heavy pills moving just under sonic boom levels. That would be a fun rifle to take varmint hunting at night with some exotic scope.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:38 PM   #6
MrBorland

Quote:
Any one know of some mil training rifles out there with 28 inch plus inches?
CZ 452 Ultra Lux has a 28.6" barrel, as well as some of the best factory iron sights available on a (non-match-grade) .222LR.

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=3

Quote:
My goal has always been to get a gun with a long enough barrel to quiet down an Aquila SSS round to the noise level of the CB long.
IIRC, they're 60 grain bullets. I tried shooting them in some of my .22lrs, and they keyholed out of all of them and accuracy was horrible. Guess the twist rate isn't high enough for such a long bullet. I'm no expert, but to be honest, if all .22LR rifle share similar twist rates, I'm not sure what rifle they can be shot out of accurately.

Quote:
What about taking conventional 22 shells and emptying the powder out so that a 36 to 40 grain bullet is propelled by primer gas alone?
Why not just use primer-only Aguila Super Colibris? EDIT: I just saw you wanted weight for penetration
Old June 8, 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
ninjatoth

I dont remember who,but one of the main rifle companies,might have even been remington,makes a .22 with an integrated suppressor,you can't even tell it has one.But I think it was like $600-$800 bucks
Old June 8, 2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Swampghost

Look for a Mod. 75 Win. The one shown has a 27" bbl. and was used to train snipers in WWII.

Old June 8, 2009, 07:23 PM   #9
TENWHEELER

Quiet .22 rifle

FWIW, the quietest unaltered .22 rifle that I have seen in action is the Romanian training rifle.

Using regular .22 LR ammunition this baby is still quiet. I wonder what it would do with some Aguila sub-sonic ammunition?
Old June 8, 2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Come and take it.

The reason why I need a heavy bullet is for reliablity in penetrating the skull. With a Possum the CB can usually defeat the skull 3 out of 4 times. With something like a moderator or a SSS I feel they should penetrate everytime.

I have always had lots of possums where I live. They get into stuff and scare the free willy's out of my girls when they see them.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:57 PM   #11
rickdavis81

Aquila makes a Super Colibri that is meant for revolvers but it is extremely quiet. I had some I purchased for a revolver and decided to try it in a marlin 981t. Way quieter than the cb shorts or longs but I think I was able to see the bullet actually flying thru the air.
Old June 8, 2009, 09:07 PM   #12
B.L.E.

CCI standard velocity long rifle is one of my favorite "quiet bullets", they actually seem to be slower than Remington Sub Sonics and I seldom get a dud that fails to fire.

I tried Aguilla 60 grain sub sonics but they keyhole out of my rifle. Somebody needs to make a .22 with a 1 in 14 or maybe even a 1 in 12 inch rifling pitch just for these bullets, most .22's have a 1 in 16 inch twist.
Old June 9, 2009, 04:18 AM   #13
SeekHer

I don't understand why you don't use sub-sonic rounds...as long as it's below the sound barrier no crack except for ignition noise which can't be helped...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old June 9, 2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Selfdfenz

The Colibri will go squid in rifles with barrels much longer than 16 inches on occasion. Super Colibris are more dependable when it comes to exiting longer barrels but neither one of these products is very accurate past 15 yards or so. Power is so marginal with either I don't think they're appropriate for the intended purpose if a humane end is part of the equation. Also the standard Colibri will bounce back at you if you’re backstop is hardwood and close.
CCI CB longs are more powerful and only a little louder. They seem to be more or less accurate depending on the rifle (right of the edge power-wise for a humane end with perfect shot placement). They are pretty quiet out of a longer barreled rifle like the CZ 452 Special or M69 Romanian. As other have said I was under the impression the SSS bullet required a faster twist barrel to stabilize the 60 gr. bullet.
Remington was supposed to have a CB long rifle cartridge on the market by now but I’ve yet to see any. Assuming The Remington product is at least as accurate and the CCI product I’d prefer a round with the right case length that actually fits the chamber.
There’s a forum member over on Rimfirecentral .com named Toxicsports with many interesting posts on this line of thought and his efforts to get a low noise 22 LR round produced here and overseas. Short of a silencer there are limits to what can be achieved reducing sound levels of the 22 RF. Long barrels and low power loads help…but there are limits.

Good luck

S-
Old June 9, 2009, 07:39 AM   #15
wingman

The H&R sportster with 22 short match made by Agulia is the quietest setup
I've seen, the enclosed barrel(single) produces little sound although the barrel
is short.
Old June 9, 2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Amen

I shoot sub sonic .22 out of my 10/22. It seems pretty quiet, especialy after I put in the bolt buffer.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:01 PM   #17
ZeSpectre

Of all the strange things, I have a Savage 64-FXP that is unusually quiet with almost all rounds.

Quiet to the point you hear the action shucking back and forth and the CRACK of supersonic rounds and not much else.

The first few times I fired it I kept checking for squibs because it was so quiet I thought something must be wrong.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
I don't understand why you don't use sub-sonic rounds...as long as it's below the sound barrier no crack except for ignition noise which can't be helped...
The point of using CB rounds is that ignition noise can be helped - at least to some extent. CB rounds have no powder other than the primer in the rim. That makes them very quiet out of a closed-bolt rifle.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Come and take it.

Just what constitutes a sound suppressor anyways?

I have heard talk of sight bloops that can reduce noise slightly.
Old June 9, 2009, 02:37 PM   #20
Thermodyne

I use 32acp in a Mauser 95 chambered for 308. And all I get is a pop that is softer than my 22lr.
Old June 9, 2009, 02:41 PM   #21
Gazpacho

You can get dedicated SSS barrels for a Ruger 10/22. It takes a 1 in 9 twist.

Alternatively, you could take an AR-15 with a 1 in 9 twist barrel and set it up for 22LR use.

FWIW the Aguila SSS cartridge was specifically designed for a supressed short range sniper rifle.
Old June 9, 2009, 05:16 PM   #22
sc928porsche

Short of installing a silencer on it, there isnt much you can do to reduce the noise level of a 22. The problem with silencers is that they are usually frowned upon by government agencies.
Old June 9, 2009, 05:18 PM   #23
Come and take it.

Has anyone experimented shooting .22 bullets through a powerful 22 air rifle?
Old June 9, 2009, 08:13 PM   #24
RAnb

sc928porsche; Other than the "game animal control" portions of the government, most agencies do not frown upon silencers or their use. The only federal government agency other than Congress that has a say in silencer use is the ATF.

As far as I know, the ATF has never denied approval to make or buy a silencer as long as the person requesting it filled out the paperwork correctly. Have any information that shows I am wrong?

Ranb
Old June 9, 2009, 08:14 PM   #25
Edward429451

Quote:
28 inch plus inches? I am aware that barrels that long will slow the bullet some but I consider that acceptable. The goal being that the powder charge will be completely expended long before the bullet leaves the barrel.
If I recall correctly, every 22 we've ever tested shot fastest from a 10" barrelled MKII and slower from the 18.5 10/22's barrel.