The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
DaveInPA

RCBS Uniflow powder measure on Lee Classic Turret Press?

I'm sick of dealing with the Lee auto disk powder measure, and I want to use my RCBS Uniflow with my turret press. Can I use the RCBS on that press using this kit?:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=591344
Old June 5, 2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Sixer

I don't have an answer for ya, but I'd like know as well... what options are available and whatnot.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 5, 2009, 03:35 AM   #3
DaveInPA

Well, I went ahead and ordered it. I'll post an update on how it works.
Old June 5, 2009, 04:08 AM   #4
shooter007

RCBS everything...simple!
Old June 5, 2009, 05:05 AM   #5
DaveInPA

Quote:
RCBS everything...simple!
Care to elaborate? RCBS doesn't make anything like that Hornady setup.
Old June 5, 2009, 09:14 AM   #6
freakshow10mm

Although they are essentially the same basic design, I don't know if the Hornady kit will fit or work on the Uniflow measure.
Old June 5, 2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm going to have to say that you're probably going to fail in your attempt to use that with your Lee turret press.

In the Lee turret, the top of the press moves, the dies spin in a circle.

In the Hornady turret, the shellplate moves, the dies are stationary on the press.

If I'm interpreting that that mechanism correctly, you might need a stationary toohead for it to work.

Interesting question, though.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 5, 2009, 09:33 AM   #8
DaveInPA

Quote:
I'm going to have to say that you're probably going to fail in your attempt to use that with your Lee turret press.

In the Lee turret, the top of the press moves, the dies spin in a circle.

In the Hornady turret, the shellplate moves, the dies are stationary on the press.

If I'm interpreting that that mechanism correctly, you might need a stationary toohead for it to work.

Interesting question, though.
I'm not sure why exactly that would make a difference. The die itself doesn't move, just the "turret" that the dies are screwed into. Oh well, I'll try it. If it doesn't work, Midway has a good return policy.
Old June 5, 2009, 09:34 AM   #9
DaveInPA

Quote:
Although they are essentially the same basic design, I don't know if the Hornady kit will fit or work on the Uniflow measure.
I was actually able to find reviews of the Hornady unit that stated that it does work with the Uniflow. Whether or not it will work on my press is the part I need to check once it arrives.
Old June 5, 2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dave,

Hornady has a picture of such an assembly on their website, and it APPEARS from the picture (kind of hard to tell) that the assembly attaches to the side of the press frame.

If that is the case, it won't work because the toolhead on the Lee spins -- you won't be able to attach it to the side of the press.

Old June 5, 2009, 10:12 AM   #11
howlnmad

It is amazing how some posts and questions can get so turned around. This thread started by asking about RCBS on Lee and got turned to Hornady? Just being a smart-a#& .
Old June 5, 2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

It turned to Hornady because Hornady is the manufacturer of the device that would turn a manually operated RCBS Uniflow into an automatic powder measure.

Click the link that Dave provided.

So, we HAVE to discuss Hornady -- it's their BOPOS that will hopefully turn an RCBS Uniflow into an automatic powder measure on a Lee press.

Old June 5, 2009, 10:50 AM   #13
howlnmad

My apologies, I had not clicked that link and so had spoken out of line
Old June 5, 2009, 10:54 AM   #14
DaveInPA

Mike,

Here is a picture of the device on a press. It does not appear that it attaches to the press frame, so I remain hopeful!

Old June 5, 2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Sam06

Dave, I would think your RCBS uniflow would just screw into one of the turret holes. I do this with a redding powder flow on my T-7 Turret press. It is not Auto dispensing like on my 550B, I still have to manually move the turret to the station I want and flip the lever on the powder dispenser but its all right there on the press. Most of the powder dispensers I have seen and had are threded to go into a Press, just like a die.

As far is that set up going to work I am not sure. I believe the Hornady automatically dispenses powder when the ram comes up and is actuated by the case in the shell holder.

Good luck with it.................Sam
Old June 5, 2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dave,

I didn't see that picture. I saw a different picture. That one does make it look as if the unit will work on a Lee, and even clear the Safety Prime mechanism.

Keep us updated, I might be interested in doing this, as well.

Old June 5, 2009, 12:19 PM   #17
DaveInGA

Dave,

I own the Lee Classic Turret press. I own a Uniflow Powder measure. I own the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop. I put the LnL CAPD and the Uniflow on top of the Lee Classic Turret press. It worked and worked well. You'll have to adjust it properly and align it not to interfere with other things, but it works.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Dave
Old June 5, 2009, 12:23 PM   #18
Naear

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=248967
I'd like to setup a uniflow on my LCT someday.

BTW thanks DaveinGA for your post on THR

Last edited by Naear; June 5, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old June 5, 2009, 12:31 PM   #19
snuffy

Yes it will work. No, RCBS also has a CAPD, theirs looks very similar to the Hornady CAPD,(midway used to also carry it.)

The Hornady CAPD is case activated, needs no connection to a press frame. I use one on my dillon 650.

Here's a pic of the powder sensor removed to show the linkage.

This Hornady linkage will work on any drum type measure where the handle can be removed to hook the activator lever to the measure. Dave, yours will be slightly different than mine, it's the older style, they've "improved" it. I don't know if it will clear the safety prime though.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 5, 2009, 12:53 PM   #20
DaveInPA

Quote:
Dave,

I own the Lee Classic Turret press. I own a Uniflow Powder measure. I own the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop. I put the LnL CAPD and the Uniflow on top of the Lee Classic Turret press. It worked and worked well. You'll have to adjust it properly and align it not to interfere with other things, but it works.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Dave
Fantastic news! Thanks!

Once the Hornady unit gets delivered next week, I can start loading again. My Lee pro auto disk has gone all to hell. The first 1-5 charges will be ok, but after that the charges will start getting heavier and heavier and in no time I'm well above the max powder charge. I don't know what happened, but I can no longer trust it. My RCBS Uniflow has always been spot on perfect, so this setup will be great.

Also, a couple of questions. I load .223 and .45ACP. Does the Hornady unit include proper drop tubes for both calibers? Also, I ordered the Hornady powder through case mouth flaring piece for the .45ACP. Will that work with the die that comes with the Hornady powder drop?
Old June 5, 2009, 04:55 PM   #21
Alleykat

I'm also using the Hornady case-activated kit. It works fine on Uniflo and several other drum-type brands. I use it with an old Pacific (pre-Hornady, but the same measure) measure. Haven't tried the expander feature, as I only use the Hornady setup for bottleneck reloading that doesn't require neck belling.
Old June 6, 2009, 02:51 PM   #22
snuffy

Ha! They DO still sell the RCBS linkage.

Found here;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...802477#enlarge

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 6, 2009, 11:53 PM   #23
DaveInPA

And it's a lot more expensive for no reason.
Old June 7, 2009, 01:02 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

Holy crap that's expensive!

Hell, I'd be hard pressed to buy the Hornday linkage...

Old June 7, 2009, 08:42 AM   #25
rogn

One other unit to consder is the Little dandy made by RCBS, it uses fixed rotrors and wont jiggle out of adjustment, its great for pistol loads and I think some rotors will accomodate 223 loads with lower doses of powder. Ive modified some rotors to get loads with specific powers and specific bullets, good shrp drill in drill press and caution work well. Main reason to suggest is the unit is small and light, and is stable in loads thrown. One mention however, it will throw two loads as will any other measure there is the light non-jiggled load and the heavier Jiggled load. The Jiggled loads I find to be more consistant.