The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
kmullins

Summit Safes

Hello everyone. As some of you know, I have been on the quest for a gun safe for about 6 months now. I thought I had finally narrowed it down to a AMSEC BF7250, but a trip to West Coast Safes today changed my mind drastically. I talked a very friendly gentleman there who was extremely knowledgeable about safes of all kinds. I was steered away from the BF7250 and instead he suggested a Summit Denali series safe. The safe weighs around 300 lbs. more and has around twice the steel in the door and in the body the AMSEC BF7250 has. Also has top and bottom door re-lockers (which the AMSEC does not have) and also has a glass relocker. I am new to this brand, Summit Safes, but they seem to be a incredible value and a great safe. I definitely think this safe has the BF7250 beat one every level, but I know there is a lot AMSEC fans out there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Kyle

EDIT: forgot to add the size of the safe I am looking at is 72"x56"28".
Old June 4, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
a1abdj

Based on the information on the Summit safe site, your salesman was wrong.

According to Summit, their safe has a 3/8" door, and a 1/8" body. This is exactly the same as the AMSEC BF7250, and slightly lighter than the other BF series units (not counting the second steel liner on the AMSECs). The website also mentions "layers" of fire protection. This is code for "not as good as composite injection" which is what the AMSEC (and most other real fire rated safes on the market) use. The nice thing about the Summits, is that it appears you can upgrade the body as an option.

http://www.summitsafes.com/denali.html

I can not comment on the weight because I don't have much experience with the Summit line, but have encountered several other safes from a variety of manufacturers that weigh less than what is listed in the literature.

Of course if you want a heavier, better built safe, there are several available. AMSEC makes them, Graffunder has some nice options, and I offer one myself. I can get you a gun safe with a TL30X6 burglary rating, multiple glass relockers, dual combinations, and a UL 2 hour fire rating (I offer the only UL fire rated gun safe in the country that I'm aware of). The largest version weighs in around 5,000 pounds.
Old June 5, 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
kmullins

Quote:
Of course if you want a heavier, better built safe, there are several available. AMSEC makes them, Graffunder has some nice options, and I offer one myself. I can get you a gun safe with a TL30X6 burglary rating, multiple glass relockers, dual combinations, and a UL 2 hour fire rating (I offer the only UL fire rated gun safe in the country that I'm aware of). The largest version weighs in around 5,000 pounds.
Ok, thanks for the information. I really need a good size safe, in the 72"x50"x28" or so range. What do you suggest? I want something solid, heavy and a well-built safe.
Old June 6, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
a1abdj

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the information. I really need a good size safe, in the 72"x50"x28" or so range. What do you suggest? I want something solid, heavy and a well-built safe.
Graffunder builds steel plate safes with 1" plate bodies, and 1.5" plate doors. These safes have a similar fire fill to the AMSEC BF series, and although not rated, would be similar to TL-15 and TL-30 burglar rated safes. They do build these safes in larger sizes, including double door units.

AMSEC builds burglary rated gun safes that do have the UL TL-15 and TL-30 ratings, but the widest safe they offer is 43".

http://amsecusa.com/gun-safes-HS-main.htm

I sell the highest rated burglary gun safe on the market, with a TL30X6 and higher ratings. These safes are also limited in size (mostly due to weight), with the largest safe offering an interior width of 36".

Keep in mind that all of these safes are built of similar or identical construction to safes you would find in a high end jewelry store. They would all be capable of carrying insurance on the contents well into the six figure range and are priced accordingly.

Graffunder also builds B and C rated safes that are heavier than what you've looked at, but lighter than what I have mentioned above.
Old June 6, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5
kmullins

Ok thank you a1abdj.

I'm thinking maybe a used unit might suit my needs better. I really need to keep the price tag down on this project because cash isn't really in abundance for me right now. What would you suggest as far as trying to track down a used safe? I want the best fire rating and bulglary rating I can get, along with the heaviest and well built steel. My price range is around $2000 - $2500.

Thank you sir.
Old June 6, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
a1abdj

What part of the world are you located in? I can see if I can point you towards somebody with access to used safes in your area.
Old June 6, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
kmullins

I am located in Southern California, United States. Specifically zip code 92504.

Thanks.

EDIT: what about these? Never heard of them before and just happened to stumble into them - http://www.homelandsafes.com/Widesingledoorsafe.php

Last edited by kmullins; June 6, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:27 PM   #8
a1abdj

You have a very large safe dealer less than 30 miles from you. It would be worth the drive to go take a look at what he has, and get a good education on safes while you're there.

Los Angeles Safe & Vault
110 San Lorenzo St.
Pamona, CA 91766

909-620-5168

As far as the Homeland safes, I'm not familiar with them, but it's an obvious situation where you will get what you pay for. Steel is fairly expensive, so when you have a safe large enough for guns selling for a low price, they have to be cutting corners somewhere.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:02 PM   #9
kmullins

Thank you sir; I will be sure to give them a call. At this point, I think I am leaning towards a used safe or something maybe more in my price range.
Old August 16, 2010, 09:36 AM   #10
cblaschke

So, do you think it is better to buy locally, even though it seems to be at a premium price compared to what seems to be offered online?

I am looking for a 72x40x28 safe. I want it to protect all my stuff from fire, break ins and nuclear holocaust. I know, everything is a compromise. If you have enough money you can get anything you want. I don't have tons of cash laying around, but would like to protect the things I do have!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Don H

cblaschke,

Welcome to TFL!

A couple of things to think about/research:

-With online purchase, how will hands-on service needs be met?

-Delivery. Will the shipping charge include delivery by a truck with a lift-gate that will actually put the safe on the ground for you or will you be expected to get it out of the trailer somehow? Or will you have to pick it up at a depot if a lift-gate truck is not available? Do you have a means to get the safe to wherever its place will be?

-If bought locally, does the price include delivery and placement in your home?
Old August 16, 2010, 07:56 PM   #12
a1abdj

Quote:
So, do you think it is better to buy locally, even though it seems to be at a premium price compared to what seems to be offered online?
Yes, if the company you are buying it from is a legitimate safe company. They will be able to provide you with an education, install the safe properly, and service it in the future. You are also supporting your local economy.

I just got a call today from a small manufacturer that I do business with. They have a "dealer" who's nothing more than a website that sells safes at a discount. The local buyer saved a few dollars, but can not get into their safe.

Ordinarily, I'd instruct the buyer to have the people that sold it to them hop on a plane and fly down to fix it (they can't, and they wouldn't even if they could). I'm only going to fix it as a favor to the owner of the manufacturing company.

I don't mind working on safes purchased from myself, through a local competitor, or sold through a large contract directly from the manufacturer. I will not work on safes bought online if those safes are available locally. If the safe owner insists, they pay a premium which would eat up any savings they may have made with an online purchase. I say this as a guy who sells safes online himself. I still suggest buying them locally, when possible.