The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 2, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
riggins_83

Savage staggerfeed versus center feed

I have a Savage 12FV with a blind box magazine which is attached into the stock and does not stay with the action when the stock is removed. Would this be the staggerfeed or center feed?
Old June 2, 2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Jimro

Load a few rounds and find out. If the blind magazine is more than one round wide it is obviously staggered feed.

But from your description it is impossible to know. Since the change to center feed is relatively recent, odds are that you have a staggered feed if your rifle is second hand.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old June 3, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
riggins_83

From the pictures I've seen it seems like it's a staggered feed however I've also heard the staggered feed magazines remain attached to the action and center feed remain attached in the stock. Mine seems to stagger however it stays attached to the stock. This is where the confusion is coming from for me. It's a rifle I purchased new about 2 months ago but it's hard to know how long it was on the shelf for first...
Old June 3, 2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Koveras

Both Savage types store the rounds in a staggered fashion. The difference is how they feed the rounds into the action. The old (staggered) style fed cartridges alternating from slightly left and right of center. The new (centerfeed) style lines the top cartridge up with the chamber.

When you load the magazine, do you have to push a cartridge into the magazine by spreading the metal lips apart? If so, it is a centerfeed.
Old June 3, 2009, 10:31 AM   #5
riggins_83

Alright I'm clear on it now. I remember an old 110 I had with the staggered feed, this new 12FV is certainly a center feed which means it's the 4.410" action screw spacing and the Choate Duramaxx stock won't work with it. Anybody know of a good relatively light stock for this rifle? Something synthetic and not as heavy as the Choate Ultimate Varmit I have on my 10FP... I came across this stock ( http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_T...rfeed_Only.cfm ) which isn't even listed on the Choate website yet (which they also stated on the phone). Seems pretty nice...

Last edited by riggins_83; June 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old June 3, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Scorch

Do not confused the staggered round box magazine with center feed vs staggered feeding. Savage rifles are push-feed center feed. This has to do with the construction of the feed lips.
Taylor Machine
Old June 8, 2009, 12:16 AM   #7
riggins_83

I ordered the stock ( http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_T...rfeed_Only.cfm ) for the 12FV 308... I'll give a report once it's installed (should be early next week). Anybody else had a chance to try this stock?
Old August 3, 2009, 02:15 AM   #8
rezmedic54

Stock

Have you tried the stock yet as I have a 12FV myself and would like to know. If it works OK will order one for mine.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com