The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 3, 2009, 11:13 AM   #26
Willie Lowman

But Skans, they did all those things you said!

OH ZING!
Old June 3, 2009, 01:10 PM   #27
Skans

Quote:
But Skans, they did all those things you said!
Ha ha ha, you got me!!!

It's still made out of recycled beercans, though - even if it has Ruger's name on it.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:11 PM   #28
Ruger4570

In fairness to the Mini 14 I have had 3 of them. Before you call me a Ruger Basher, check my screen name.
I have yet to find a mini that would shoot anywhere near what I think you have a right to expect from a .223 rifle. I have a couple of cheapo 22 rim fires for the grandkids to shoot that are FAR more accurate than any Mini I have owned to date. No excuse for that in a rifle that costs as much as a Mini. Actually, my current and LAST Mini is at the gunshop with a "for sale" tag on it. I figure I can just get a bolt action for far less and have money left over for components.
Other than not shooting worth a whit, a Mini 14 is bullet proof, I never had a failure to fire, a blip, anything wrong with it,, well other than not being able to hit my target in the same place 2 times out of 20.
Old June 3, 2009, 10:34 PM   #29
Rifleman 173

One other thing... The caliber of the rifle can also help determine accuracy of the mini-14 rifles.

The .223 and the 7.62 X 39 versions are not supposed to be as accurate as the new 6.8 SPC caliber rifles. I haven't shot one of the 6.8 SPC rifles but the reports are the thicker barrel versions are much more accurate than all the other thinner barrel version rifles. You might want to do some research into which caliber would be better for your intended uses of the carbine.
Old June 4, 2009, 12:03 AM   #30
BuckHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman
But Skans, they did all those things you said!... OH ZING!
THERE IT IS!!! Wow! Nice! I laughed out loud at that one.

Mini-14 is inherently a step backward from the AR-15 in a military sense, IMHO, no matter what they may do to it. They are supposed to be great truck guns, though, and they may be better than the AR in a civilian capacity.

I am a Ruger fan, by the way.
Old June 4, 2009, 12:53 PM   #31
Come and take it.

The Ruger mini will always outshoot the AR at point blank range.

The sight to barrel distance is much smaller so you can hit a kernal of corn at 7 feet away. Not much chance of that with an AR.
Old June 6, 2009, 10:43 PM   #32
billtool

My old mini is a solidly built gun and great close in. Don't take it prairie dog hunting though. I'm happy with my 4" grps at 100.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:18 AM   #33
KMO

Mo-Rod a Help for Accuracy

Quote:
I'm happy with my 4" grps at 100.
I really don't think the AR guys are doing any better than that anyway. The Mini-14 is a solid performer. Putting a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer on my 187 series & 196 series made a nice improvement. Very consistent groups...
www.mo-rod.com
Old October 27, 2011, 02:48 PM   #34
Magog

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200...vs_Mini-14.pdf

This is an artical written before the newer Barrels came out and the mini still did well vs the AR.

The guy says the AR has a disadvantage at close range shoots because of the sights force you to aim above the target to get a hit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk84KLiaa4

Also Nut N fancy has many Vid's on Mini 14 and this one... The MIni 14 won the day. He says the mini 14 is not any better then the AR or AK-74, but it is just as good.

I really think anyone who hates on the MINI 14 is someone who dumped a lot of cash into their AR, or some dealer who hates not making huge profits on AR sales...
Old October 27, 2011, 03:00 PM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Necrothreadia is unneeded on Mini threads...