The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 27, 2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Sommerholiday

Verification of Antique Firearms

I'm trying to identify and verify these firearms.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
Old May 27, 2015, 01:20 PM   #2
James K
Staff

The first revolver is an antique, a "suicide special" of little value.

The third gun is probably antique, but it would be impossible to know, and I doubt that even better pictures could determine for sure.

The cut down rifle is illegal under U.S. law unless registered with the BATFE. These guns appear to be in some kind of museum display, but even so would have to be registered if they come under the National Firearms Act.

Jim
Old May 27, 2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Sommerholiday

Yes, it is for a museum. I will find out from my supervisor if they are registered. Thank you for all the info!
Old May 27, 2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Pahoo

Ghosts of the past !!!

Quote:
The cut down rifle is illegal under U.S. law unless registered with the BATFE.
I wish I could recall the name of the original rifle as I use to own one. It was magazine fed and was located at the front flat, of the trigger guard. There should be a name on the receiver. ....

My SWAG on the 1st, is a Colt and on the third, British ??? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 27, 2015, 09:31 PM   #5
James K
Staff

AFAIK, Colt never used the name "Lady's Companion" on any revolver, but I can't find who did. I have some good lists of such names but that is not on them.

I think the other revolver is probably Belgian, but without seeing the gun or better pictures, I can't be sure.

The cut down rifle is (or was) a Savage, probably a Model 1903, but I can't be sure.

Jim

Last edited by James K; May 27, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 28, 2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not 100% sure, but the Ladies Companion revolver may have been made by Johnson & Bye.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:13 PM   #7
James K
Staff

Mike, I couldn't find it in Goforth's book, but that means nothing. There were so many names used for those guns that I doubt we will ever know all of them, let alone who made them.

Jim
Old May 29, 2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I did a little more digging, and I can't verify that the Ladies Companion was Johnson & Bye, so it probably wasn't.

The Johnson in the company, by the way, was Iver Johnson. He bought out Bye after a few years and formed Iver Johnson Gun & Cycle Works.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 3, 2015, 07:43 AM   #9
Sommerholiday

They are all registered and covered legally. The museum exhibit is confiscated guns from criminals in the early 1900's.
Old June 7, 2015, 10:45 AM   #10
gyvel

Continental revolvers, according to Mathews, were made either by "Great Western Gun Works. Pittsburgh, PA. (Owned by James Johnson)" or by Hood Firearms Co. of Norwich, CT, although Mathews also lists a "Ladies Companion" pepperbox made by the Continental Arms Co., also of Norwich, CT.

So a semi educated guess could be that Hood bought out the company, or operated it as a separate division of Hood Firearms.

Guns were made in .22 RF or .32 RF.

Last edited by gyvel; June 8, 2015 at 07:37 PM.