The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 30, 2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

The barrel came off ( on purpose ) part two...

often times just getting the barrel off on a potential project, without damaging anything is one of the biggest challenges... my last "barrel finally came off" thread, concerned my 6.5 X 284 long range rifle built on an older BRNO action... the barrel proved to be one of the tightest my local builder had ever removed ( project is coming along nicely BTW... only problem there is, I need to reshape the cheek piece to allow full bolt cycle )

anyway this project is a Taurus Raging Hornet... the gun has a 10"+ barrel with a full under lug, & I find I don't shoot it because it's extremely muzzle heavy, & it doesn't even fit in my pistol safe because it is so long... well they don't make them anymore, so I hated to alter ( cut ) the barrel shorter, & with the lazer engraved "Raging Hornet" down the side of the barrel, coupled with the vent rib style top sight rib, cutting it shorter was very limited...

... I also have an extra stainless 6" barrel shroud for my Dan Wesson Super Mag ( which only has a shrouded extractor stem, not a full underlug ), the Taurus is styled after the S&W, as is the Dan Wesson, so we thought about doing a Dan Wesson style barrel assembly on the big Taurus...

well again... turns out one of the hardest parts was to get the barrel off without damaging either the barrel or the frame ( this way, I have the option of reinstalling the 10" original barrel later if I choose... & of course if the frame is damaged, we just tossed $800.00 into the scrap barel )... the 1st two trys prooved unsucessfull... but yesterday, with some strong penitrating oil the thread locker Taurus used relented, & the barrel came off, with no damage...

the barrel shroud fits perfectly now that the stock barrel has been removed, & now my machinist will begin cutting a couple of barrels with the Taurus threads... we are going to do both a 6" & an 8" barrel to begin with... the 8" barrel will stick out past the shroud almost 2" & look a little dorky ( kinda like the 445 Super Mag from Dan Wesson / CZ USA that had the front sight back a couple inches from the muzzle )

after that part is completed, I might start looking for a couple extra Raging Bull / Hornet cylinders... the Hornet, is an 8 shot, so any caliber that as based on the Hornet would be easier, swap the barrel & cylinder & you now have a new caliber... the 454 Casull being the most common "Raging" caliber is likely not an option, because of the timing change, but if one could find blank cylinders, one could concievably use the same frame to shoot from 327 Mag through 50 A.E. as long as the cylinder capacity stayed the same...

the next step is getting a barrel to chop up... the normal twist rate for the Hornet is 1-12" or 1-14" but I'm leaning towards a 1-10" twist because of the reduced velocites of both the barrel cylinder gap, & the shorter barrel... with hand loads & faster pistol powders velocities similar to 327 mag or 357 mag should be atainable with a 45 grain bullet... hmmm wonder how 36 grain Varmint Grenades would do ???

look for some pics of the frame & shroud assembly next week...
Old June 1, 2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Well I'm trying to figure out what barrel to use...

most cost effective, I can order 14" of stainless barrel from Brownells as a hand gun barrel blank, in .224, but it only comes in 1 in 14" twist... for less than $100.00, & gives me a 6" barrel & a 7+" barrel out of the blank

or I can order a rifle length stainless barrel from Brownells in .224 in a 1 in 9" twist for just over $200.00 this will give me a 6" barrel, an 8" barrel, & roughly a 1/2 a barrel left over for a future project...

I'm inclined to get the rifle length barrel, even though it's more than twice as expensive, because of the twist rate... my main goal for this gun is a 50 yard varmint gun using 45 or maybe 50 grain bullets... I'm afraid that the velocity out of a 6" barrel may not stabilize a 50 grain bullet with the 1 in 14" twist... maybe even the 45 grain Barnes "Banded Solid" for pelt hunting, but that is a longer bullet, since it contains no lead ???

anyone ever play with lower velocity 22 caliber bullets & twist rates ??? my 1st thought was somewhere around a 1 in 10 twist... I'm thinking the 1 in 14" is too slow, & the 1 in 9 should work fine even for the 36 grain Varmint grenades at the less than refle velocity???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 1, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

heres those pics...

before... muzzle heavy bench gun...

during... fitting of the shroud...

it's unbelievable how heavy the old barrel islaying in the back ground ( probably at least as heavy as a loaded SP-101 )... the new configuration should be much more shootable, & yet I can return it to original condition later if needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 256.jpg (66.4 KB, 1321 views)
File Type: jpg guns 257.jpg (69.4 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg guns 258.jpg (73.0 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 2, 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
w_houle

Looks great! Can't wait to hear about updates.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks... I'm trying to round up funds for a barrel blank right now, & get some test loads done up for the revolver
Old June 3, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I met with my builder today ( he wanted the spare 357 Max barrel ) for measurements & to look at the threads... the barrels will be threaded to fit the Taurus at the frame & use the Dan Wesson threads at the muzzle end...

... we discussed the muzzle end barrel nut & he wants to build a "compensator" the goal is not really to control recoil since there won't be much, but to redirect the muzzle blast which could be more than expected from shooting a reasonably high pressure cartridge out of 6" barrel...

... he's had good luck with 10* ports radiused around the muzzle, & my other Dan Wesson barrel nut comps do a good job of redirecting the blast forward of the gun / shooter with the edges beveled at that same 10*... however I expressed concern about holes under the barrel blowing sand / dirt up off the bench or ground if shooting prone ( it is a varmint gun after all ... so we are lookin at making the nut the size of a barrel nut comp, or at least as big around as the end of the shroud, & putting the ports on the muzzle end around the barrel, where a crown would go on a bull barrel... a little futzing & we should have something that redirects the blast to a tolerable level for the shooter...
Old June 3, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
mnhntr

Cool idea. I do alot of coyote hunting and use a 648 S&W 22mag once in a while. I will be watching the outcome of this project. I always thought about getting the Raging Hornet or Raging Bee but I have always heard the cartridges back out due to the shape and lock the cylinder. Have you ever had this happen? I really want to see a 10mm necked down to a 6mm or 5.7mm and run through a revolver to hunt varmints. Or maybe a .41 mag necked to a .25caliber. Good luck on your project.
Old June 3, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I was worried about cartridges backing out myself, when I 1st bought the gun, but in the 300-400 rounds I put through the gun over the years ( all I cared to shoot in it, with it as muzzle heavy as it was with the long barrel ), I never had that problem... I was initially thinking of going to a 25 Hornet or 270 REN if the cartridge backing issue ever arose... but so far, as long as my cases are clean & oil free ( as I would shoot them normally ) I've never had an issue...

Quote:
I really want to see a 10mm necked down to a 6mm or 5.7mm and run through a revolver to hunt varmints. Or maybe a .41 mag necked to a .25caliber.
my understanding of the case set back issue, is that a long slow shoulder slope is less likely to have an issue than a shorter steeper shoulder... the M.R. BFR gets by with 30-30 in a revolver because of this... you would have to slowly taper a 10mm or 41 Mag to those bullet diameters for them to be able to ever be chambered in a revolver... not that it is not "doable" but the cases wouldn't likely look like you were expecting
Old June 3, 2009, 10:35 PM   #9
Scott5

Revolver project

Hey Magnum WM,
I had a project about like yours but it involves taking the barrel off of a
GP-100 and replacing it with a Dan Wesson barrel.

Do you know what the threads are for a Ruger GP-100?

My smith may have to cut the threads on the Ruger and thread a sleeve for the D. Wesson barrel but I would have an interchangable Ruger GP-100

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old June 4, 2009, 06:29 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

Cool... you'll have to show us a few pics as the project progresses... sorry... not sure of the Ruger barrel threads ( I've not had my GP-100 barrel off ) but the Ruger cylinders should be more common, you could do a 327 mag cylinder & barrels realitively easy along with 357 mag... maybe 44 special as well... I think anything bigger or hotter would involve a 5 shot cylinder ( the 44 special may even ??? ) & changing the timing from a 6 shot gun to a 5 shot gun is much more involved... but doing a 6 shot 32 mag / 327 cylinder & barrel would be pretty easy & give you a couple caliber gun ???

we are using a rifle barrel blank ( untapered ) to cut the revolver barrels & my guy will cut what ever thread that Taurus used for the frame end... then cut the outer diameter & length as needed... since I already have 2 Dan Wessons & he has previously cut the threads for the barrel nut comps on those, he wants to do the Dan Wesson threads on the muzzle end... last I talked to him, I brought him my extra 357 Max barrel so he could start on the "nut" ( still waiting on funds for the barrel blank )... maybe the threads are the same between the Taurus & the Dan Wesson ... but anyway, he likely knows by now

IMO, rather than drilling out the Ruger threads & re-threading, making the Ruger frame weaker, if your barrel is a larger diameter, it's almost always better ( strength wise ) to take the diameter down on the barrel, & thread to the frame's thread profile
Old June 16, 2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

The 1 in 9" twist barrel is ordered & should be here this week...

here are a few pics of the custom barrel nut / compensator / muzzle blast reducer / cutting torch

can't wait to get the 6" & 8" barrels cut...

This pic from the inside, shows a small expansion chamber & the ports at the very outer edge ( those gasses should be moving faster than the bullet exiting out of the center hole )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 259.jpg (56.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg guns 260.jpg (63.0 KB, 2085 views)
File Type: jpg guns 261.jpg (67.8 KB, 1944 views)
Old June 17, 2009, 08:26 PM   #12
454 gunner

I think it turned out pretty well, and on top of that I think you have earned the title "King of obscure calibers".
Old June 18, 2009, 06:59 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks GUNNER... the barrel should be here today, I can't wait to get the 6" & 8" barrels cut...

I've been doing alot of reloading of test loads for the revolver, everything from 33 grain Speer TNT hollow points, up to 45 grain Barnes banded solid boat tail spitzers, with several different loadings... I'm also going to do up a couple with maybe a 55 grainish pointed soft point if I find one I like... with a 1 in 9" twist barrel, I think the Hornet revolver will stabilize heavier bulets than my 1 in 14" twist rifles or Contender barrel...

I'm looking forward to getting the revolver completed, & spending some range time with it under the chrony
Old June 18, 2009, 09:52 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

Whoo Hoo... barrel just showed up on the "brown truck"... so... it'll at least get chopped up today
Old June 23, 2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

Taurus frame is pretty hard... the project is currently getting a small shallow hole in the front of the frame for a locating pin for the barrel shroud... the 6.5" ( actually ) barrel is cut & the gun is assembled in this pic... note the expansion chamber between the end of the barrel & the nut ( visible through the holes )...

the gun with 6.5" barrel should be completed by tomorrow... once the locator pin is in, there will be some minor fitting of the Dan Wesson shroud, to match the lines of the Taurus frame, & the extractor rod on the big Taurus is slightly larger than the Dan Wesson extractor rods, it fits into the recess on the shroud, but won't flip open, until the top edge is radiused slightly

this is the latest pic...

I'm also ordering a Houge laminated camo finger groove grip for the revolver to spiff it up a bit I've been busy reloading test rounds, & am thinking those 55 grain Sierra spitzer boat tails are going to make a great match with the Hornet for the revolver

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 279.jpg (52.5 KB, 566 views)