The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 1, 2009, 01:12 PM   #26
Doodlebugger45

I don't discount the personal experiences I read here. They are all valid experiences to take into account. To tell you the truth, if I had read this forum before, I probably wouldn't have bought the 2 Taurus revolvers I have now. But I have personally not had a moment's problem with mine. I have 2 Gauchos, one a SS model in 45 Colt and the other a blue model in 357, both of them with 7.5" barrels. They weer pretty close to the same price as a Ruger Blackhawk, but I wanted to play with something that had the look of a Colt.

I have about 500 rounds through the 357 and about 700 rounds through the 45 with no problems at all. The accuracy is acceptable for my fun shooting. I haven't tried loading them up to high pressures because I have other revolvers for those needs.

My best shooting buddy has bought 3 Taurus revolvers in the past 6 months. The one he has shot the most is a model 66 in 357. He has put about 1200 rounds through it without problem. I fired it awhile back and I thought the accuracy was extremely good.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:15 PM   #27
Huntergirl

You just HAD TO ASK, didn't ya. 5 Taurus revolvers, 2 that worked out of the box. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Its SW and Ruger now all the way. Good luck with that. Just to add. After my first Taurus, I was a Vehement supporter of Taurus. It took 4 more to crash my illusions.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:22 PM   #28
RocketFoot

I have a Raging Bull in .44 mag. Seems good to me! Nice trigger, timing is fine and it locks like a bank vault. A true pleasure to shoot.

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old June 1, 2009, 01:43 PM   #29
Russ5924

I think what it comes down to is if you get a good one your OK. But if you get a bad one and have to deal with there customer service:barf: I have two Taurus a 905 9mm and a 941 .22 mag. I really like the 905 and sometimes carry it great little gun and great trigger DA or SA. The 941 has a trigger from hell I had wanted to buy a Millennium Pro liked the gun I just couldn't do it. Figured I had a better than 50/50 chance to get a good one. So I bought a S&W M&P 9 compact
Old June 2, 2009, 01:00 PM   #30
ninjatoth

Lifetime Gun

if you have patience with the company if you ever need repairs,and spend the few buck each time you need to ship it,and hope you don't have many problems,you do have a gun that you will have to shoot for life.They aren't the best quality,but the aren't the worst either.You probably will run into problems in the future with one,and eventually you will spend as much on the gun as you would a smith and wesson,but...for someone on a budget that can't possibly afford more than 3 bills at one time,but could afford the $40 or whatever the cost for repair shipping would be if there is a problem,then it's a good choice.I personally couln't afford $640 for s&w's .22,but I could afford the $290 Taurus .22.Mine had to be shipped in after 3 months cause the cylinder was sticking a bit and the misfires were high,but my local store I bought the gun from didn't charge me for shipping,so i'm not too upset.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:37 PM   #31
Stinkfactor20

I've had 5 taurus revolvers over the last 10 years and never had a problem. Called customer service to get different grips, no problem. Lost the firing pin spring, Taurus shipped a new one free and quick.

I think that when someone has an issue with a Taurus, people pile on. When someone posts a S&W issue like the extractor backing out, well, that's just a particular nuance of the Smith, just get some locktite, etc. This is just my own observation from reading these threads over the years.

I'd put the Taurus 85 Ultralite up against any NEWER model light-weight .38 Smith for quality, trigger pull, accuracy, and yes, even longevity.

BTW, Where is the "sticky" about the Walther (S&W) recall to go with the Ruger SR9 recall sticky?

Stink.
Old June 3, 2009, 12:47 PM   #32
pesta2

Quote:
I keep 'hearing' about Taurus QC problems but I've never 'seen' any myself. For all of you who have had problems with Taurus, have they been with revolvers?
Yes, I have had 4 Taurus revolvers 3 have had issues.

4” 44 mag.: Fist time to the shooting range the front sight feel off into the gravel. Took 8 months to get a replacement sight from Taurus and it was not even drilled for the pin. Sold

2” .44 Special: Cylinder lock up issues. Sent to Taurus to be repaired, they replaced parts and sent back

4” .41mag Tracker: again cylinder lock up issues, sent back in for repair.

2” 605: No issues, recently sold.

I am going to keep the .44 special, don’t come by 2” .44 specials to often.
Going to replace the 605 with a Ruger SP101 once I find one.
Tracker is eventually going to be replaced by a Blackhawk .41 Mag.
Old June 3, 2009, 01:17 PM   #33
Hardcase

Oh boy, here we go

My seven shot model 66 in .357 mag has worked great from the first day, which is not saying that tomorrow it won't completely fall apart (although I'd be pretty surprised if it did.) Take that for what it's worth...I'm not a Taurus fanboy. I don't care what gun anybody buys.
Old June 3, 2009, 04:44 PM   #34
Horseless Trooper

Only had one experience with a Taurus, a 4in. 441. Owned it for a couple of years, traded it, bought it back a year later. It has been a good, reliable, accurate gun.
Old June 3, 2009, 06:48 PM   #35
herbie1

FYI:

http://grantcunningham.com/blog_file...urus_work.html

I had a Taurus tracker .22. I hated it and got rid of it quick.

For a solid (but a little ugly) revolver get a Ruger GP100.

For something a little smaller try an SP101.

For lighter weight .357 I would not be able to help you. I no experiences with lighter weight guns.

Good Luck

H.
Old June 6, 2009, 12:18 AM   #36
Bionicrooster

I have a 44ss6 which is a 44 mag stainless large frame in 6.5 inch barrell. Only have a few hundred rounds through it but it has been flawless, not to mention fit and finish are just about perfect.
Old June 6, 2009, 12:59 AM   #37
Zilmo

I have a 689 coming in this week. It will be most interesting to check it out.
Old June 6, 2009, 02:06 PM   #38
Donn_N

My only experience with Taurus was a Model 85. About once per cylinder full it would fail to ignite a primer, effectively making it a four shot.
Old June 6, 2009, 07:06 PM   #39
223 shooter

Bought a used Taurus 96 22lr revolver last week. It looks a lot like an old Smith 17. The revolver has a solid feeling , more like a medium frame 357 than a 22. The bluing pretty good for a budget gun.

Unfortunately a lot of misfires during my first range visit Looking at the mainspring design it looked like it was adjustable and I looked it up and indeed it is So I adjusted for more tension , hopefully this will cure the misfire problem. If so I know I'll shoot the Taurus quite a bit this summer.
Old June 6, 2009, 07:32 PM   #40
ninjatoth

223,I have a taurus 94 .22lr,and I had alot of misfires,especially with winchester short ammo,and alot with bulk ammo also.I have found the cci velocitors to be the best ammo for my gun,I bought 100,and it went about 30 rounds before i had a misfire,then i think i had maybe 2 or 3 more by the end of the 100 pack.Compared to 1/3 of my shots misfiring with bulk ammo
Old June 7, 2009, 09:28 AM   #41
bikerbill

I own two Taurus revolvers.

My steel 85 is the first I gun I ever bought, about 15 years ago ... it was perfect out of the box and still is, shoots straight, never had a problem with it, it's the gun I carry in my car every day, with Hogue wood grips courtesy of the Missus.

My steel 617 (7-shot .357 snubbie) had troubles out of the box; a gravelly trigger and a tendency for the cylinder to lock up after just a few rounds fired ... rather than send it back to Taurus, I spent $85 with a gunsmith I know; he gave it a buttery trigger job and opened the gap between the cylinder and barrel just a tad. The gun is now fantastic; loaded with 100gr PowR'Balls, it's the gun I drag around the house when I'm home (I'm retired, so that's a lot). I don't like the idea of having to cure factory problems after purchase, but nobody makes a perfect machine, so I'm willing to try to make things work the way they should ...
Old June 16, 2009, 12:18 AM   #42
drrpg01

Stick with Ruger and S&W for revolvers

I would stick with Ruger or S&W for revolvers. I prefer Ruger. The new LCR is getting really great press as a lightweight .38. I wouldn't get a 357 that weighs less than 25 oz or so. A good gun can last for decades with regular use. Yeah, you pay a little more, but you get a better product.
Old June 16, 2009, 12:40 AM   #43
riggins_83

Quote:
Taurus revolvers. I had mine years ago and went through the usual stages: hope, disbelief, defeat.
I saw a guy send his revolver back twice for valid issues (nothing he was causing).. the 3rd time it happened he was convinced to purchase a S&W instead.
Old June 16, 2009, 09:26 AM   #44
Mark Milton

What you have to remember is that the people who **** and moan about how all Tuaruses are junk because THEY had a bad experience with one are the same people who would tell you that all Colts, or Rugers or Smiths are junk because they had a bad experience with one.

These characters take the cake, by the way.

They never seem to understand that EVERY maker lets loose a lemon from time to time. Instead of making the lemon right, these jokers often swap the lemon in on something else or sell it to somebody and don't point out there's a problem with it.

I have a VERY low opinion of such individuals, by the way. I can't
understand how somebody will pay tens of thousands of dollars for a new vehicle and will gladly put up with multiple trips back to the dealership for repairs to get the bugs out, but throw a sissy size hissy fit when a gun that cost a couple hundred bucks malfs and refuse to do the intelligent thing.

The reality is that Taurus handguns quality control is probably somewhat BETTER than S&W was back during the Bangor-Punta years.
I have three that I have had no problems with. On the other hand, I once had a 629 that needed the forcing cone/barrell clearance fixed. After I had to have a burr removed from the extractor star.

Nothing made by the hand of man is perfect. Thats a fact of life. Thats why guns and cars have warranties.
Old June 16, 2009, 09:43 AM   #45
Zilmo

Have yet to shoot my newly acquired 689. I may take it, my Dan Wesson, and my Redhawk .357 tomorrow and spend some money blowing up paper. It will be interesting making comparisons.
Old June 16, 2009, 01:14 PM   #46
ghalleen

Quote:
Well, I have six Taurus Revolvers, 3 in 357 Magnum and 3 in 38 Special. I had two "incidents": a broken firing pin after 15,000 rnds+ in a Mdl 85. Had a smith put in a new one in about 5 min; 10,000 rnds later it's still going strong. Had excessive barrel to forcing cone gap on a 357; sent to Taurus, they adjusted the yoke & replaced the cylinder & returned in about 1 month. I've since put a couple of thousand rounds of 357 Mag through it w/nary a hiccup. I am more than satisfied w/my Taurus® revolvers & would buy another in a heartbeat.
I also have several Taurus handguns, and have never experienced a single problem with any of them. I called Taurus support one time, for a minor issue, and was completely impressed with the quality and speed of the call.

I suspect that a detailed analysis of all companies would show that there is a similar rate or problems with Taurus compared with all other handgun manufacturers. In the past, there was certainly a problem with quality control, but I think it's been resolved. Personally, I have experienced quality problems with Glock and Beretta, but not with Taurus. Sensitivities are high, though, because of previous problems with Taurus, so that whenever anyone has a problem with one, it's because Taurus is "crap". However, when someone has a problem with a different handgun, it is just a fluke.

I am totally satisifed with my Taurus handguns, and would not hesitate to buy another.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:13 AM   #47
ECHOONE

Have a Taurus 85ULB 1000 rds thru it now not one problem had a trigger job done on it only because I wanted to, love this little snub! couldnt tell you about there CS never needed to use them!
Old June 18, 2009, 10:20 AM   #48
ninjatoth

I think the lifetime warranty makes a taurus worth buying.You buy a taurus,and you know you will always have a taurus.That to me is worth having to put up with a little irritation with the company for being slow
Old June 18, 2009, 12:09 PM   #49
DKA

Have 2 Taurus now, an M44 44 Mag with 6" Ported Barrel, never had a problem with it at all. Have a 96 Taurus with 6" Barrel, that has shot approximately 10,000 22 rounds and never a problem. Seems like a lot people who have problems with any kind of gun, is one of their family members.
Old June 18, 2009, 12:39 PM   #50
Doug S

Taurus handguns I've owned (at least those that I can think of at the moment, there may have been others)...

Taurus 605 - Very nice gun, no problems.
Taurus 94 - Again nice gun, no problems.

Both of the above were mid-90's production. From there it was down hill.

Taurus PT111 - total piece of crap, with multiple trips back to the factory to no avail.

Taurus 85 - Back to the factory for misfires.

Taurus 905IB - Cylinder binding and locking up. Back to the factory, returned with same problem.

Taurus 650 - cylinder to forcing cone too tight, back to the factory. About 2 months later it came back fixed.

Factory repairs were problematic. Shortest return time was a month. More often it took at least two months for a gun to be returned. Often I had to call in order to get them moving on a repair. Also, I should mention that all of these guns were purchased brand new.

Oh, I also had...

2nd Taurus 650 - appeared to be alright, but I sold it after about 100 rounds, so I can't say for sure. Didn't malfunction in first hundred rounds anyway.

After experiencing the above, I gave up on Taurus. Too many problems in my opinion, just not worth the hassle. Some people get a good one, but more people seem to have problems. These Taurus threads are common, and some people like to claim it's only an Internet phenomenon. I tend to think they result from an inordinate amount of Taurus problems. If not, how come you don't see similar threads popping up all of the time concernign S&W and Ruger. Just my two cents.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle