The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 29, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
chancedew

Colt trooper .357 Officer's Model Match

I'm trying to find information on a gun I inherited from my Grandfather. It is a Colt Trooper .357 Officer's model Match. There is a test target in the box dated June 21, 1969. All the info I see on the net says that Colt began the Trooper MkIII series in 1969, but this is not a MkIII. Also, all info for the Officer's Model Match is for a .38 Special, this gun is a .357 Magnum. Serial number is 840xx. It has a 6" bbl, and the box is marked " wide spur handle and target stocks". Both the box and target also have same serial number on them, so I know it's the correct box/target for gun. But I can't seem to find info on this combination anywhere. I'd like to get an idea of it's value for my homeowners policy. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old February 29, 2008, 10:02 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

This Is A Colt Trooper 357mag.

It is not an OFFICER'S MODEL MATCH which were exclusively 38SPECIAL revolvers.
The TROOPER 357's were made by the thousands as they were far cheaper to make than the COLT PYTHON. They are not particularly rare at all though you do not see a lot of them for sale in the market place
Please note all the OMM 38's had Patridge front sights and all the TROOPER 357's had serrated ramp front sights.
All had ACCRO rear sights though a few did sneak outta the factory with Elliason rear sights.
I have bought them at prices from $140 to $300. The OMM 38's usually bring far better prices than the TROOPER 357MAG sixguns.
Old February 29, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
woodsltc

The OMM's were not made in .357 as has been said. But, they were "not" just .38's either. They were also made in .22 LR cal. and even more rare was the .22 mag.

The .22 LR cal is not as common as the .38 and as a result the .22 LR's are more valuable to collectors -- with the hard to find .22 mags even more valuable.

Don

Last edited by woodsltc; February 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 29, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
22-rimfire

Sounds like you have the original Trooper in 357 mag. They are great revolvers. The Trooper (actually called the 357 Magnum) was introduced prior to the Python and was intended at that time to be Colt's premium revolver. It was also offered in 22LR. When the Python came out, it became more of a service revolver, but it is very well made. It is a fine revolver and is handfitted much like the Python. Enjoy it. If you ever want to sell it, they sell pretty easy if it is in good shape. Colt later dropped the name or model name 357 magnum and just chambered the 357 mag in the Trooper. Sounds like you have one of the later models. Colt stopped making them when they introduced the Trooper Mark III in 357 mag in 1969.

What does it say on the barrel? The Mark III Troopers will have that on the barrel and the Officers Model Match was Colts target revolver offered in 38spl and 22 LR. The 38spls are fairly uncommon, especially the single action ones.
Old February 29, 2008, 11:15 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Does the barrel say ".357" or "Trooper". The .357 was introduced in 1953,
as was the Trooper, the latter came in .38 Special and .22LR, in 1961 the
.357 was renamed Trooper, mechanically identical. It and the Official Police were discontinued in 1969, replaced by the Mark III series. I have one OP and
2 Troopers, they are great shooters.
Old March 1, 2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Majic

Quote:
The Trooper (actually called the 357 Magnum) was introduced prior to the Python and was intended at that time to be Colt's premium revolver.
The Trooper and the 357 Magnum were 2 different models. Although they looked alike one sure way to tell the difference in them was the Trooper had the firing pin on the hammer and the 357 had the firing pin in the frame. The 357 was the one that was Colt's premium medium frame revolver. The Trooper was the service model that at first was chambered in .38 spl and .22lr. Later the 357 model was phased out and the .357 magnum chambering was added to the Trooper.
Old March 1, 2008, 02:24 AM   #7
joneb

I have a Colt "Trooper .357" and under that ".357 magnum CTG." it has a frame mounted firing pin, and it is a "I" frame.
Old March 1, 2008, 03:04 AM   #8
joneb

I have a Colt "Trooper .357" and under that ".357 magnum CTG." it has a frame mounted firing pin, and it is a "I" frame.
Dang a double tap
Old March 2, 2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Rampant_Colt

late production Mk III Trooper:

The "357" and early Troopers don't have any shroud around the ejector yoke
Old March 2, 2008, 06:59 PM   #10
pistolet1

chancedew

With that serial number, it seems like it was a very late production Trooper, as the last one produced was serial number 84616 in 1969. The Trooper was available in .22LR, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum.The Model .357 Magnum was more of an upscale Trooper with a target hammer, target grips, and different sights, although in some configurations, it could actually resemble the Trooper. The .357 Magnum was produced from 1953 to 1961, with a total production of about 15,000 guns.
Old March 3, 2008, 03:04 AM   #11
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Colt Officers Model Match (all calibers)

One damn fine handgun; sorry they quit making 'em~!
Old February 20, 2009, 11:53 PM   #12
horne2527

I just picked up a colt 357 magnum today im trying to find out when it was made and what it might be worth I cannot find a serial number anywhere I have searched all over I removed the handle and its not there either the only thing I can find is when you open the cylinder it has 1439 and a z at the bottom the gun is in awesome condition I would just like to know a little more about it.
Old November 3, 2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Chuck1284

Colt Serial # Lookup Site

horne2527: That number you're seeing on the cylinder crane IS the serial number.

You can research most Colt serial numbers herehttp://www.proofhouse.com/colt/index.html) - looks like yours was made in 1954.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:52 AM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
The Trooper and the 357 Magnum were 2 different models.
I have a Colt revolver that is inscribed "Trooper MKIII 357 MAG", serial number 580xxL. It was willed to me from a deceased dear friend who was a deputy for the Ashland County, Ohio Sheriff's Department and it is a blued Buckeye State Sheriff's Association Fiftieth Anniversary commemorative model and has gold etchings honoring the organization on the barrel and frame, with "1 of 200" stamped on the frame. It also reads 1930 to 1980 on the 4" barrel so I assume it was made sometime around 1980. It came in a walnut presentation case and, with the exception of the gold inscriptions and walnut grips, looks a lot like Rampant_Colt's revolver, including the adjustable sights. It has a framed mounted firing pin. From what all I've read so far on this thread, can I assume this revolver is a Trooper and not a 357 Magnum? Can I also assume the sight is an ACCRO and not an Elliason (it's not marked)?

I also have a variant of the Officer's Model Match (OMM) called an Officer's Model Special, circa 1951, serial number 7866xx, that I still use in Bullseye matches. From what I can tell, this revolver differs from the OMM in that it has a (rather unflattering in terms of aesthetics imo) untapered, 6" heavy barrel and "Coltmaster" adjustable sights. Does anybody know if the OMM was ever equipped with the Coltmaster sight?
Old November 5, 2009, 08:22 PM   #15
Dfariswheel

You have a Trooper Mark III.
This is a totally different gun than the older original Trooper and 357 model.

Those guns have the same type of action and frame as the Official Police, Officer's Models, and Python.
The Mark III is completely different in all respects and no parts or grips interchange with the older guns.
The Mark III was the replacement for the older guns like the original Trooper and 357.

The Colt Accro is unmarked, and has a small blade inside the rear sight base.
The Ellison is marked as Ellison and has the large exposed Target blade sight.
The Officer's Model Match introduced the Colt Target hammer, target grips, and the Accro rear sight, so it never had the Coltmaster rear.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:39 AM   #16
dgludwig

Thanks for the information.